https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Looking for coon updates

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ana

Looking for coon updates

Postby Ana » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Hello everyone,

The holidays are approaching and I'd love nothing more than to see some gorgeous coons!
Only Senora and Jude made it to Santa this year, it was very crowded and we ran out of time.
I'm not happy with the pics, but here is what I got.

Image - Jude robbing Santa
Image - Senora being a princess

Here are some additional pics:
Image Charb with his Dad
Image Senora Meteora
Image - from bottom left, clockwise - Judah, Charb, Senora, Corso.

Hope everyone has a happy holiday, love and hugs to all ♥️
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Looking for coon updates

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:57 pm

I took Pua to Santa a couple of times, just to a small shop in tow though not in a big pet store. Then the second year she was a bit squirmy and he tried to hold onto her when I told him not to and she accidentally scratched him trying to get away. Thankfully he was a nice animal person and thought it no big deal but it made me realize how extremely risky having a total stranger hold your critter just for a cute Santa photo really is. Should "santa" get a scratch and tell his Dr it will be reported and your coons could be killed.

Glad it has gone well so far but I find such photos with exotics, especially coons and foxes, scary rather than cute.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:22 pm

"Santa" is a guy we know very well who has been researching for the last year, planning his
own coon adoption. I keep their documents in the trunk, it's a small town, Santa is friendly with
their doctor. I don't see any reason to have fear.
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Its always a treat to see your gang Ana. They all look so content in their big family.

That's pretty awesome that you found a trustworthy Santa with an interest in coons.

I know its been a while since I've posted any updates, but I've been pretty busy lately and there hasn't been much to report anyway. Giz is just as rotten as always. :icon-wink: She and our newest addition Bowski have bonded better than I could have foreseen. We brought him home as an 8wk old kitten in the early summer.
(We lost our first cat Grainger to urinary problems one year ago. He and Gizzi were really close and she was devastated. It took her months to get back to her old self, but this summer we decided we were all ready to welcome another feline into the house.)
Giz has embraced her new "little brother." The extra playtime with a rambunctious kitten has really helped her get back into shape, and she seems quite pleased to have such a tolerant snuggle buddy.

20171116_193752-1_a.jpg

20171116_194412-1_a.jpg

20171121_190313-1_a.jpg
Lounging together on the ottoman; the usual nightly sleeping arrangement for these two.

20171213_073625_a.jpg
The whole crew sitting for treats
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:46 pm

What a lovely fur-family you have, Kagney! The new cat is beautiful! We have his identical twin brother at the place where I work. :icon-wink:

I wish I could mix my coons and cats. Dewey was fine with cats before, but hasn't had contact with any since Bobby arrived over a year ago. And having gotten Bobby as an older adult, I'm afraid to try him with cats - not sure what he'd do?? Pat, did he seem OK with your cats??

Ana, I will try to get some pics of my fat boyz - whenever they come out of torpor. Most days, I have to stick my hands in their nest boxes to check if they're alive and breathing! :lol: They obviously come out at some point or another because the food is usually gone. <sad sigh> I miss my boyz - can't wait for torpor to be over...
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Okay if you know him well that's different. In the vast majority of cases people are just handing their critter over to a masked(fake bearded) stranger and it has sometimes caused issues. My dad used to have a Santa a suit but I think he donated it, that's the only way I'd do it now, or maybe if I just held my critter sitting next to Santa, which is what we wound up doing in the end that second year.
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Omg Giz is beyond adorable, I love her little feet! So glad she's got a buddy. My cat, Stasi, is
utterly affronted by the fact that the coons are here, and alive. A little abandoned dog was
brought here, and they adore her. I use a device with a cruddy camera and no flash, so its
tough to get pictures. Gonna have to bust out the old digital camera to get some decent
pics. Oh hey, before I forget, i saw a really cool thing that looks like fun, take a gander -

Its expensive, like 250$. Bet we can figure out a way to DIY something similar on the cheap.

Also THIS:
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/5nXZLhttps://m.imgur.com/gallery/5nXZL

My kids would go BANANAS over this. We're trying to figure out safety and feasibility. :lol:
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:14 am

Thank you both! :mrgreen:

I know I'm pretty fortunate to have a cat friendly coonie. She was raised around them, and I think that made a big difference. That, and any buddy we've introduced (with the exception of my hub's dog) has been just a youngster.
Funny thing though... when I took Bowski in for his neuter, the vet techs told me that he HATES other cats. Growling, hissing, the works. He spends every evening hanging out with two dogs, his BF is a raccoon, and when he goes outside during the day, he pals around with a chicken and a turkey... but he will NOT tolerate cats. :lol:

And OMG Ana, the aerated sand... somebody will blow a fuse! That's just way too awesome!
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:20 am

The tube hammock would probably be fun for them, but I'd be worried about them getting legs - or HEADS - stuck. If you know someone who can macrame, maybe make it on half or quarter scale, and also tie so the holes are MUCH smaller. I know people who use those toy hammocks for their raccoons, possums, etc, but they scare the crap outta me. I guess I always look for the worst possible scenario that could happen. :roll: I guess I'm just a worry-wart. LOL But ALWAYS safety first for my bubs.

The sand looks freakin' awesome! Not sure who would play with it more - me, or the raccoons! LMAO
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Oh jeez, I didn't think of their little idiot limbs getting tangled in there, if it could hapoen,
it would happen to them. :lol: The sand we gotta do, but trying to figure out how to secure
the aeration and vibration device is the issue we're mulling over. ♡
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:58 pm

Kagney- I can't believe Giz sit for treats. Awesome

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”