please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Question about raccoons and raisins

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Marion in Savannah

Question about raccoons and raisins

Postby Marion in Savannah » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:35 pm

I just found your forum, so forgive me if this question has already been asked.

There is a lame raccoon (injured right front paw) that comes into my yard. He's (?) been eating the bird seed and peanuts I set out for the birds, but I've heard that raccoons like fruit. I've got a lot of raisins, but I saw somewhere on Google that raisins aren't good for them. Also, I've got a fair amount of peanut butter. How would I set that out for him? In a bowl, a flat plate, on bread? And apples — whole, slices, cut up into smaller bits?

He's terribly sweet — and extremely well mannered. There are two feral kittens who come for cat kibble and when they show up he'll move away from them and let them eat. I'd love to give him what he will like. I'm pretty sure his paw is getting better — when he first showed up he wouldn't put any weight on it, and in the last couple of days I've seen him "washing" sunflower seeds and peanuts, so he may heal completely.

Thanks for any help and guidance any of you can give. And Happy New Year!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about raccoons and raisins

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:43 pm

No one really knows on the grapes for sure. They can be toxic to some dogs and no one really knows why but they have found it is the actual flesh of the fruit, not seeds skin or fungi etc. Foxes and skunks have also died after eating grapes but others are just fine, similar to dogs. I used to fed grapes to one of my old dogs who loved them back before the info was found and some are okay like that but some aren't. It's a dice roll. There's no way to be sure if it will harm raccoons or not. I'd be inclined to think an omnivore like a raccoon would be okay with reasonable amounts, but it could be some are effected but it's not been identified as a the cause. It took a lot of info for a pattern to finally be seen in dogs, in the mean time a lot died and the cause was unknown. When it is toxic in other species it doesn't take much to cause kidney failure. People do feed grapes to raccoons but there's no way to know if some coons are effected and it's not identified as the problem. There are plenty of other things to feed though so I'd just avoid it to be safe.

So a short summery it's probably safe but we don't know for sure so if it was me I'd probably not give them just to be safe.

You could give the peanut butter any way you want but spreading it on the apple slices sounds good.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:16 pm

I’ve been feeding my coatimundi Vega 2-3 grapes every week and he’s perfectly healthy according to the vet. Grapes are really sugary though so you have to feed sparingly, use as a training treat maybe. My vet says to feed in moderation too.

But like Tam said, best to be on the safe side.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:18 pm

If you can afford to do so, please offer this raccoon a bowl of dog kibble. Cat food is not good for raccoons, although it sounds like he's not eating too much of that? It doesn't have to be expensive dog kibble. I buy my wildies whatever brand is the cheapest. LOL You can also offer him mini marshmallows, peanuts in the shell, and even table scraps from your dinner table. Animal crackers are a favorite, too. :icon-wink:

As far as grapes/raisins: I give my pet raccoons both, but in small quantities. Like, one day, I'll give them 6 grapes, the next day, I'll give them about a dozen raisins. Mine love the Craisins (dried cranberries), too, so that's an option, if you'd like to try them. They are 'safe; for them to consume. The birds will like them, too.

Thanks for helping this poor guy out! Keeping him well few will go a long way to helping his sore foot to heal.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Marion in Savannah

Postby Marion in Savannah » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:22 am

Thanks so much for your replies! I guess to be on the safe side I'll not give him any raisins. The idea of spreading peanut butter on apple slices is great, and I probably wouldn't have thought of that (even though I love it myself!). He doesn't eat the cat food often — he seems to really prefer the seeds and peanuts. I'll be putting out apple slices with peanut butter this morning, and getting a bag of dog food too.

Thanks again!
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:50 am

You're welcome!! Keep us posted on his recovery. I'm sure he will appreciate it. Who know? Maybe he's a she, and you might see babies in the spring. :) And thanks again for helping the wildies in your neighborhood.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:15 pm

Hope his foot continues to get better, its great he has you to help especially while he's disabled. I give my coon,grapes, raisins, and cranraisins for treats, not a lot though. Mine really love raisins and grapes( as long as i cut them in half). Peanut butter is also well loved, mine eat it off a spoon and I use it to give pills, but spread on apple slices is a good idea. I got a big jar of tbonz, filet mingon flavor because I thought they were what Pat says her coons liked, mine don't, I even tried spreading peanut butter on them, thinking once they ate one they would like them- they just licked the peanut butter off.
Same with the dog jerky I got for them, they demand their share of jerky when I eat it, but evidently the dog jerky is just for dogs.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”