https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Need A Companion

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Deweylee17

Need A Companion

Postby Deweylee17 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:38 pm

Hello,

I haven't posted much since my original post about how I got my baby girl (Roxy) the raccoon almost 10 months ago. I feel terrible for Roxy icon-sad although she is very lovable and smart she needs a companion. I live in Michigan and would be willing to travel to get Roxy a playmate. Roxy plays with the dog and me, but I can still tell something is missing. I know there are no breeders in Michigan or I would have already gotten Roxy a friend. Roxy currently has two different enclosures and run of the house when i am home. One enclosure is outside its 10'x12'x8' and she loves it. Her other enclosure is inside the house and usually just sleeps there. Roxy has been fixed and she has had all of her shots. If anyone knows of a Raccoon that needs a loving home Roxy and I would be very interested.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need A Companion

Postby pat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:18 pm

not even sure if there are breeders in MI. the last I heard, there is not.
see if you can check for import laws. maybe you can get one from another state?

also, not sure how far mt hope ohio is from you. they sometimes have raccoons there.
they use to have lots of them, but, last year, was not a lot. tiny tracks from

I hope to go there is there, I will check and see what they have. but, it would be a long distance for you.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Deweylee17

Postby Deweylee17 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:32 am

Thank You for the suggestions.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:19 am

If all else fails, you could try a skunk, fox or a ferret as a companion. I believe those species ARE legal in your state, but please double-check with your game commission. Also, there are a few people who have coatimundis and raccoons together, but I'm not sure if coatis are legal in your state.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Deweylee17

Postby Deweylee17 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:39 am

Again, I thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions. I will keep trying until I find her a friend.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:51 pm

only my opinion. if you don't get a second raccoon, I would go with the fox. they can become really good buddies.
my 1st fox and raccoon became buddies, and were very bonded. however with a fox, you really need an outdoor enclosure.
you can let the fox in the house, but not 24/7. foxes will mark,.

a skunk might be too fragile for a raccoon. coati's are a little more difficult to deal with. maybe not difficult, but, harder to work with,

I agree with Deweysmom, check the legality first.

Deweylee17

Postby Deweylee17 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Do you think the 10' Wide x 12 ' Long x 8' high enclosure would be sufficient for a Raccoon and Fox? And yes I will make sure to check the local and state laws before doing anything.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:37 pm

That size would work for a raccoon - IF not enclosed in it 24/7. But that is way too small for a fox. Hop on over to the fox part of this forum to see some fantastic examples of fox enclosures.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:06 pm

the bigger you can make the enclosure, the better. what I did was buy a 10x10 dog kennel. I put it against the house, were it made a 10x20 enclosure.
mine also has a tower and a big shelve. logs around enclosure to walk on. (don't have a picture of the logs yet)

when doing an enclosure, it is a must to put fence on bottom and the top. otherwise, they will climb out.
you also have to make sure there is no open gaps where a raccooon or fox can squeeze out.

for the roof, I have corrugated panels. this way, it keeps rain or snow out. the litter pans stay dry.

I also have a doggie door for them to come in their room. I do let them in the house with me, but not 24/7.

I can't, do that, cause I have 2 dogs where they have a doggie door that goes outside. (this way, I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to let them out) they also help protect my chickens.

their enclosure also has a water spigot. makes it really easy to change their play and drinking water.

in their room, they also have bunk beds in their room. they love that. I have a wide (home make) wooden ladder for them to go to the top bunk easier. I will try and get or find pictures of their room. on the bunk beds, I obviously don't have mattresses. I put cement board on them, but painted with acrylic paint to make it easier to clean.

don't know if this will be of any help, but, I did do a care sheet. it needs updated, but haven't had the time.
http://sybilsden.com/caresheet/raccoons.htm
Attachments
pen7.jpg

Deweylee17

Postby Deweylee17 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:45 pm

What a great help! Thank You

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”