ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Concerned about leaving coon for extended time

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ringtail

Concerned about leaving coon for extended time

Postby Ringtail » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Hi everyone!

Fellow raccoon lover here! I am a single male who has a male raccoon who is now 3 years old. He is strongly bonded to me and love getting showered with attention!

I have a question for you. In winter I will need to go away overseas for 4 weeks, during which time the only person he will see is the house sitter who will come to feed him. He is used to me going away for 1 or 2 nights for work and knows the house sitter (although coon tries to avoid him as much as possible lol).

I am just very concerned about his wellbeing due to me being away for so long. Will he be fretting extremely badly for me and messing up his health, or maybe even forget who I am due to my absence? Will I be returning to a home with a wild raccoon who has no idea who I am?

4 weeks feels like it will be such a long time for the little guy to be separated from me.

Have any of you been away from your coonie for long periods and if so, what was he like when you returned home?

Thanks so much!
DeweysMom

Re: Concerned about leaving coon for extended time

Postby DeweysMom » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:48 pm

Wow. Gone four weeks. That's a tough one... Yes, he's definitely gonna miss you, but if you have time to allow him to acclimate to the house sitter before you leave, that would be best. Try to have the house sitter take care of him WHILE YOU"RE there so he knows that the house sitter is 'safe'. Then once you've left for your 4 week absence, he won't be so distraught because he already KNOWS this new person. I'm betting, if the house sitter sits quietly with him a couple times/day, within a week or two, they'll be friends.

Mine miss me when I'm gone, but they also seem to learn to adjust to the person who's caring for them while I'm gone. It really depends on your raccoon's personality, and his trust of strangers.

I'd be more worried about what he'll get up to (wrecking your house) while no one's there to supervise or keep him from getting bored! I hope you don't rent!! LOL
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:17 am

in conjunction what Dewey's mom posted, I agree with her.

you can also put a few of your already worn cloths items where he naps. (have your scent on it.)
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ringtail

Postby Ringtail » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:23 pm

Thank you so much for your advice, much appreciated!

True! he is a real...adventurer...in my home hahaha! But he has so much affection and goes out of his way to be cute and just LOVES cuddling up to me all is forgiven :) ...I never knew how affectionate coons could be!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:04 am

Ringtail wrote:Thank you so much for your advice, much appreciated!

True! he is a real...adventurer...in my home hahaha! But he has so much affection and goes out of his way to be cute and just LOVES cuddling up to me all is forgiven :) ...I never knew how affectionate coons could be!

how old is your raccoon? as they get older, some will outgrow getting into trouble as long as they have something to do.

yes, they are affectionate as long as they are raised properly. sounds like you are doing an excellent job with your baby.
that is one of the reasons I favor raccoons over foxes.

there are some people that complain about aggression with their raccoon. when I ask how are they kept.
most say in a cage at night. :roll:

building an outdoor enclosure would be the best way to prevent keeping a raccoon in a cage.
I am not saying you do, only mentioning what I hear from some people.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ringtail

Postby Ringtail » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Thank you for the kind words!

he is 3 years old now. Has plenty of toys and climbs, but has decided that anything that is loose is also a toy lol! His favorite is a straw basket that he loves pushing around and wrestling with.

Have never experienced any aggression from him. he is a real gentle thing. And agree - have never kept him locked up; he has free reign of my entire home morning and night.....he likes to sleeps in an enclosed corner of a rabbit hutch which I just leave open and he can come out of it and go into it as he pleases.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”