please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Scooter

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Trefoil

Scooter

Postby Trefoil » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:48 pm

Scooter is my problem child. He has been since I got him several years ago from a family that was looking for a home for him. I don't call him a rescue because he was I think very happy where he was, his family had pet skunks I think he enjoyed terrorizing. Hence the new home. He was very attached to their 9-12 yr old boy. At least partially because I already had a coon, Chloe, Scooter hasn't become particularly attached to me.
Chloe has always been very vocal and greets me with something like a growl which translates to "I'm here do you have a treat for me, if not I'll accept a scratch, but understand its a very poor second" when I approach her, she comes to me for loving. For a while Scooter decided that Chloe was calling him to attack me, which he very enthusiastically did, not all the time, just when he wanted to. He would come running,squealing and attack me. The first couple of times he did this, yelling at him would stop it but eventually I slapped his nose with a broom and he stopped doing it, but now he runs away if I approach him. I really don't understand his lack of ability to associate behavior with consequences. So, on to his latest. I have always given treats/goodies by hand to them and Scooter's latest is he will come up and sniff and if he decides he doesn't want the treat he bites the hand offering it,hard. Yelling doesn't work and he's fast. I tried calling him for the treat and them dropping it in front of him, which stops me from getting bit but doesn't do anything about the behavior. Any idea on a solution that doesn't get me repeatedly bit or even a reason for his behavior? He is about 5 yrs old and I've had him 4+ years, in which time he has gone from anti social behavior to anti social behavior.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Scooter

Postby pat » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:05 pm

Trefoil,

when you give them treats how to you give it to them? sitting, standing or lying down?
if you are at their level, Scooter might be less apt to bite. some raccoons can feel intimated by a standing person.
I am sure you know raccoons understand words. let Scooter distinguish what a word means. (no bite)
If Scooter approaches you to bite you, raise your voice. you have to be consistent all the time.
a nose smack if all you need, using a broom might make it worse.

also, what type of treat do you give them? you can try treats like licorice. or dog treats that are long.
can't remember what the long ones are called, but, I got a couple at agway . (if you have one near you)
I break them for my dogs and raccoons. but, they are long enough if you gave a whole one to scooter, he shouldn't be able to bite you.

to give you an example of laying down, my albino never bit me, but if I am standing, she won't let me pet her, she just runs from me.
today I was laying on the bed, and Carrie (my albino) came up on the bed with me and stayed there for hours. she was letting me pet her, scratch her.
she was really enjoying it.

I guess raccoons can have different personalities.

I will try and think of more ideas for you.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Thanks Pat, Do yours like liquorice? I've never tried that. They didn't care for the dog treats I've tried so far. They do like jerky. Generally I offer them whatever I'm eating when they come around or I call them. Scooters problem with me is usually when I'm standing, I'll try getting down to his level.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:24 am

Trefoil wrote:Thanks Pat, Do yours like liquorice? I've never tried that. They didn't care for the dog treats I've tried so far. They do like jerky. Generally I offer them whatever I'm eating when they come around or I call them. Scooters problem with me is usually when I'm standing, I'll try getting down to his level.

yep, they eat anything that is sweet or close to it. I don't give it to them often.
I also give them marshmellows. but not a lot of them. sometimes I will put a little syrup on their dry food.
what kind of dog treats do you give them? mine love the marrow bones. but, I try and limit those too.

it does sound like a standing issue. I would think by now Scooter would be use to either way.
when I started hand feeding mine, I would be in a sitting position. now they don't care if I am sitting or standing.

let me know how scooter is doing.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”