ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Possessive Raccoon

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Scout

Possessive Raccoon

Postby Scout » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:33 pm

I’ve got a 10 month old female raccoon (her name is Scout) that I rescued when she was a day old because her mom died. I planned on rehabbing and releasing her but she has other ideas.. she refuses to go out into the wild and has decided to make her home on my property high up in the trees. She only stays outside because I make her! Honestly, I’m so in love with her and am happy she won’t leave. She sneaks into the house every chance she gets! I really don’t mind it since I’ve “raccoon proofed”’as much as possible and shut all the doors to the rest of the rooms in the house to at least keep her in the main living areas. So here’s my “problem”: Scout will run after and attack or bite anyone who comes around me! She literally gets upset. What, if anything, can be done? My husband and daughters (ages 24 & 19) understand how much I love her but they also live here too and Scout is downright aggressive about anyone even being near me... any advise would be much appreciated. By the way, this forum has been the most useful information I have found and is what guided me to raise her to this point so I really want to thank you SO very much for being my most valuable source of information ❤️
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Possessive Raccoon

Postby pat » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:27 pm

10 months is old enough to release, however, from what I have read, it is a slow process to release a raccoon.
in other words, don't expect a captive born raccoon to leave. (if that is what you want to do)
if you take your raccoon on walks and she follows you, do this a little further each day.

if you decide to keep her. (not sure how legal she would be) getting her fixed is a must. otherwise, raccoons can have aggressive behavior during breeding season. which can start in december to march. (some time a little later)

if she is already outside, then let her stay there, maybe in time, she will wonder off. However, she might not, cause that is where she is being fed.

the only other option is take her to a rehab center. (if you can find one you can trust)

if I can think of any other ideas, I will let you know. hopefully, some of the other members will chime in with more ideas.

would be nice if you could keep her, raccoons are so easy to fall in love with.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Scout

Postby Scout » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi Pat! Thanks for responding. Scout was born in the wild and orphaned at birth. I NEVER want her to leave me as I am so in love with her and I’m own raccoon kind of way I know she loves me too. My question: Is there any way to get her to not be so territorial and possessive of me? She will it let ANYONE near me, including my husband. She doesn’t even want anyone in the same room as me... is this just how it’s going to be and I need to just accept that and take the necessary precautions to avoid her attacking my husband? She absolutely loves and adores me and I adore her. I’d protect her above all else. She is free to leave if she’d like but she stays in my trees and comes when I call her. She’s so beautiful and has a personality that only I seem to understand. Our bond is a great one and I will keep and care for her as long as she so chooses.
Lara

Postby Lara » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:32 pm

Have you had your husband or daughters feed her at all? When I had a fox he hated my dad. I got sick for about a week and my dad fed him every morning, and that helped a little bit. I don't have any experience with raccoon, but I've heard training them is similar to training foxes.
Scout

Postby Scout » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Lara, I am the only one who feeds her because my husband travels for work and my daughters are away at college now. I will ask him to feed her when he is home and see if that helps. Thank you
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 am

Scout wrote:Lara, I am the only one who feeds her because my husband travels for work and my daughters are away at college now. I will ask him to feed her when he is home and see if that helps. Thank you

have your husband try to hand feed him. however, use a treat that is long so she don't bite him.
if your husband hand feeds her, then have him sit close to her level. some raccoons can be intimated by a person that is standing.

I personally never got bit from any of my raccoons. I have raised 6 raccoons, all were great.

also, an outdoor enclosure would be nice if possible, but, you don't have to keep her in the enclosure all the time.
I have a setup where I have an extra bedroom set up for them, they also have a doggie door that goes into their enclosure.
however, I do let mine in the house with me, but not 24/7
also, raccoons like to be high up at times.

do you have any dogs? raccoons like to play with dogs.

one other thing, if she does try and bite your husband, teach her the words "no bite" a light smack on the nose the first couple times, should help her understand what "no bite" means.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:40 am

Lara wrote:Have you had your husband or daughters feed her at all? When I had a fox he hated my dad. I got sick for about a week and my dad fed him every morning, and that helped a little bit. I don't have any experience with raccoon, but I've heard training them is similar to training foxes.

that is a good idea, this will help Lara with more ideas.
in my opinion, raccoons are easier to raise than foxes. I never got bit by my foxes, they are more skittish than raccoons.
as you know, keeping a fox in a house 24/7 is not a good idea, they do mark, I am sure you know that.

thank you for sharing your views for Lara.

Scout

Postby Scout » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Scout is now nearing 1 1/2 years old and since I have allowed her to stay outside to be free she has still decided to live here on my property and comes to the door every evening around 8 to get her dinner. I do not leave the food outside because I don’t want to attract and encourage any other raccoons from coming here but it can’t be avoided. I have read that raccoons aren’t territorial but I simply don’t believe this to be true because if any wild animal comes thru my property, Scout will run them off and even bite them to make sure they understand she doesn’t want them here. Even last night as I was outside in the complete darkness I ran into another raccoon and “told” it to leave because I don’t know where Scout was (like it had any idea what I was saying lol). I then called for Scout not knowing where she was and to my surprise she must have been within feet of me (remember it was complete darkness) but when I called her, she came running like a crazed mad woman and went directly towards the other raccoon and preceded to chase it away. She has done this on many occasions. In your experience, have you found raccoons to be protective of their humans? Now mind you, Scout is wild now so I have no direct Contact with her at all! If I get too close to her she will growl and hiss so I let her be and just acknowledge that we have an understanding. I’ll continue to “care” for her as long as she lives and I hope that’s a very long time. She plays at night with the basket of toys, smooth river rocks, and shiny coins, eats dinner, lounges in her huge zoo like enclosure we built for her, and takes a nightly swim in the pool. She always makes sure she lets me know she’s here and seems to enjoy making me laugh every time she she does her nightly laps in the pool.

Anyway, has anyone seen this kind of “protectiveness” before or is it just my imagination?

When will she breed? Don’t they usually start around a year old? I personally think she’s too damn mean for any raccoon to want her :lol:

Is there anything I can do to encourage her to at least share the yard with me when I need to go out back? Sometimes It’s like she has claimed my property as her own and is trying to chase me out too. It’s like she can’t make up her mind about me. God I love her even when she’s a little monster.

Also, she is vaccinated for another two years but after that (assuming she stays here), how can I possibly get her vaccinated again since I don’t think it’s possible to round her up and take her into the vet...?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:32 pm

I know how easy it is to fall in love with raccoons. even some wild ones. some wild ones can be friendly. food is their favorite :lol:
as for breeding, it could start as early as December till around march or april.

usually wild raccoons will travel with another raccoon or more in search of food.
to trap a racoon, hav-a-hart trap usually works on raccoons. but, you might need to camo the trap a little.

however, your raccoon sounds pretty darn smart and dependent on you, and seems to love you.
sad, not many states if any don't allow us to keep wild raccoons. icon-sad

Scout

Postby Scout » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:44 am

Scout was born into the wild but I’ve had her since she was a day old. I have released her but she’s decided to stick around which is what I prefer anyway. I love her too much and would be so sad if she left and never returned. She might be mean as hell but she’s “mine” and I couldn’t bear the thought of not having her around. I’d do absolutely anything for her. Once in a great while she will decide to come into the house to play and romp around and she isn’t destructive at all. Plus I did potty train her before I released her and she seems to remember all her manners while in the house. Though she no longer snuggles and plays with me and we keep a safe distance from each other. Like I said, it’s like we understand each other and I’ll continue to just be happy that she’s still around. She will always be special to me and I’ll look after her for as long as she graces me with her presence and lets me.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:42 am

raccoons are very food oriented, as you know. the food will keep her there.
on another note, she might roam off at breeding season. but, scout sounds like she would rather be with you.

the only problem I can see if scout does start to roam off, and finds another food source or house, many will kill wild raccoons.

awhile ago, I was watching youtube and there was a guy that was hand feeding wild raccoons off his porch.
it was kind of funny, cause he had about 6-8 hanging on him to get hand fed. after they ate, they left. but, would still come back for the food.

scout just might stick around. Maybe even bring a family back with him/her :lol:

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”