PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Possessive Raccoon

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Scout

Possessive Raccoon

Postby Scout » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:33 pm

I’ve got a 10 month old female raccoon (her name is Scout) that I rescued when she was a day old because her mom died. I planned on rehabbing and releasing her but she has other ideas.. she refuses to go out into the wild and has decided to make her home on my property high up in the trees. She only stays outside because I make her! Honestly, I’m so in love with her and am happy she won’t leave. She sneaks into the house every chance she gets! I really don’t mind it since I’ve “raccoon proofed”’as much as possible and shut all the doors to the rest of the rooms in the house to at least keep her in the main living areas. So here’s my “problem”: Scout will run after and attack or bite anyone who comes around me! She literally gets upset. What, if anything, can be done? My husband and daughters (ages 24 & 19) understand how much I love her but they also live here too and Scout is downright aggressive about anyone even being near me... any advise would be much appreciated. By the way, this forum has been the most useful information I have found and is what guided me to raise her to this point so I really want to thank you SO very much for being my most valuable source of information ❤️
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Possessive Raccoon

Postby pat » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:27 pm

10 months is old enough to release, however, from what I have read, it is a slow process to release a raccoon.
in other words, don't expect a captive born raccoon to leave. (if that is what you want to do)
if you take your raccoon on walks and she follows you, do this a little further each day.

if you decide to keep her. (not sure how legal she would be) getting her fixed is a must. otherwise, raccoons can have aggressive behavior during breeding season. which can start in december to march. (some time a little later)

if she is already outside, then let her stay there, maybe in time, she will wonder off. However, she might not, cause that is where she is being fed.

the only other option is take her to a rehab center. (if you can find one you can trust)

if I can think of any other ideas, I will let you know. hopefully, some of the other members will chime in with more ideas.

would be nice if you could keep her, raccoons are so easy to fall in love with.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Scout

Postby Scout » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi Pat! Thanks for responding. Scout was born in the wild and orphaned at birth. I NEVER want her to leave me as I am so in love with her and I’m own raccoon kind of way I know she loves me too. My question: Is there any way to get her to not be so territorial and possessive of me? She will it let ANYONE near me, including my husband. She doesn’t even want anyone in the same room as me... is this just how it’s going to be and I need to just accept that and take the necessary precautions to avoid her attacking my husband? She absolutely loves and adores me and I adore her. I’d protect her above all else. She is free to leave if she’d like but she stays in my trees and comes when I call her. She’s so beautiful and has a personality that only I seem to understand. Our bond is a great one and I will keep and care for her as long as she so chooses.
Lara

Postby Lara » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:32 pm

Have you had your husband or daughters feed her at all? When I had a fox he hated my dad. I got sick for about a week and my dad fed him every morning, and that helped a little bit. I don't have any experience with raccoon, but I've heard training them is similar to training foxes.
Scout

Postby Scout » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Lara, I am the only one who feeds her because my husband travels for work and my daughters are away at college now. I will ask him to feed her when he is home and see if that helps. Thank you
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 am

Scout wrote:Lara, I am the only one who feeds her because my husband travels for work and my daughters are away at college now. I will ask him to feed her when he is home and see if that helps. Thank you

have your husband try to hand feed him. however, use a treat that is long so she don't bite him.
if your husband hand feeds her, then have him sit close to her level. some raccoons can be intimated by a person that is standing.

I personally never got bit from any of my raccoons. I have raised 6 raccoons, all were great.

also, an outdoor enclosure would be nice if possible, but, you don't have to keep her in the enclosure all the time.
I have a setup where I have an extra bedroom set up for them, they also have a doggie door that goes into their enclosure.
however, I do let mine in the house with me, but not 24/7
also, raccoons like to be high up at times.

do you have any dogs? raccoons like to play with dogs.

one other thing, if she does try and bite your husband, teach her the words "no bite" a light smack on the nose the first couple times, should help her understand what "no bite" means.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:40 am

Lara wrote:Have you had your husband or daughters feed her at all? When I had a fox he hated my dad. I got sick for about a week and my dad fed him every morning, and that helped a little bit. I don't have any experience with raccoon, but I've heard training them is similar to training foxes.

that is a good idea, this will help Lara with more ideas.
in my opinion, raccoons are easier to raise than foxes. I never got bit by my foxes, they are more skittish than raccoons.
as you know, keeping a fox in a house 24/7 is not a good idea, they do mark, I am sure you know that.

thank you for sharing your views for Lara.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”