ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

3 week baby has a swollen foot and ankle.

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

3 week baby has a swollen foot and ankle.

Postby Yatzee » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:07 am

2 days ago I picked up. 3 week old baby from a breeder. He was dehydrated and not eating or peeing or pooping. I went and got pedialyte and made his formula with it. He had pedialyte formula all day yesterday, 1/2 ounce every hour or so. As he drank small amounts he was getting hydrated and started eating really well.
I continued this mix the following day and he started eating up to 2 ounces every 2 to 3 hours. Later that night I saw his right paw had started to sell. Its 3 am right now and the swelling looks worse. I stopped the pedialyte and he just got his first feeding without it. His breathing is fine, no aspiration. Hes been sleeping a lot but is very energetic during feeding time.
Has anyone had this happen to their colony? If it keeps getting worse, hes going to the vet.
Yatzee

Re: 3 week baby has a swollen foot and ankle.

Postby Yatzee » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:25 am

Woke up just now and his leg is back to normal. Thank god!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:03 am

sorry to hear the issue you had with your raccoon icon-sad
but, now sounds like he is improving.

however, I am a little confused and concerned about his swollen leg. at least it is better now.
have you check his leg good for any type of cuts, maybe sprains. maybe he twisted it some how? :shrug:

what type of formula are you using?(just curious)
also, where do you keep him when he is sleeping? at that age, they do sleep alot.

keep us updated on his progress.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:23 am

I checked his whole body for injuries. I didn't find anything. He sleeps on a heating pad in bed. I have a California king and make him a blanket barrier. I dont sleep much so, I'm always up at night. Sometimes I dont sleep.
I did some research and read they are intolerant of salt, which every animal is. I looked up the ingredients for pedialyte and it contains sodium chloride. I'm think that was what caused the edema. I'm feeding him KMR. It's what was recommended to me.
I'm so glad his leg is better, now, I'm dealing with no pooping. I rescue squirrels and was a vet tech for 10 years. His pooper is being stubborn to stimulation.
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:24 am

Thank you for responding to my issue.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Yatzee wrote:I checked his whole body for injuries. I didn't find anything. He sleeps on a heating pad in bed. I have a California king and make him a blanket barrier. I dont sleep much so, I'm always up at night. Sometimes I dont sleep.
I did some research and read they are intolerant of salt, which every animal is. I looked up the ingredients for pedialyte and it contains sodium chloride. I'm think that was what caused the edema. I'm feeding him KMR. It's what was recommended to me.
I'm so glad his leg is better, now, I'm dealing with no pooping. I rescue squirrels and was a vet tech for 10 years. His pooper is being stubborn to stimulation.

I use to stimulate both ends with a blue paper towel (I get them at sam's club) but, can be bought in other places.
I use to dampen the towel with warm water, then stimulate both openings in a circular motion. . I would do it before he got his bottle and after he was done. sometimes he would go before and sometimes after. or both times.

I would skip the pedalite and give him warm water in a bottle. I hear good and too much bad about KMR. so, I don't really know for sure.
I use to get the all purpose milk replacement from TSC. I used that on all my raccoonos. seemed OK and really didn't have any problems.
can;t remember for sure the name of it. Ana probably remembers a different brand that also worked.

when I get a chance, I will look it up and see if I remember it.
(right now, having alot of computer problems) icon-sad

linseylou

Postby linseylou » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:29 am

The only brand of milk that didn't have ness really stuck as baby was raccoon formula from fox valley nutrition. It also has probiotics in it that help with pooping
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:06 am

linseylou wrote:The only brand of milk that didn't have ness really stuck as baby was raccoon formula from fox valley nutrition. It also has probiotics in it that help with pooping

I agree, the fox valley is suppose to be a good formula. I hear a lot of good about it. (I forgot about that one :red-face: )

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:46 pm

Thanks guys
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:28 am

keep us updated.

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Wed May 02, 2018 1:57 am

Yatzee is doing awesome. Eating pooping and peeing like a champ!
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Wed May 02, 2018 2:22 am

I also purchased the fox valley formula. Hes turning into a pudgemiester

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”