https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

New Baby Raccoon questions

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Cluna81

New Baby Raccoon questions

Postby Cluna81 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:57 pm

Hello,

I'm not new to exotics I own a Bobcat and raised red foxes. On Saturday we decided to add a 4 week old male raccoon to our family. The breeders had been bottle feeding with Esbilac for the last two days. They had informed me after the purchase the baby was just pulled from it's mother a few days ago. Would it be okay to switch over to KMR. Also I've heard baby cereal and baby food would be better to start slowly in the next week or two. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. So far he's been nursing pretty well and using the bathroom with stimulation.
DeweysMom

Re: New Baby Raccoon questions

Postby DeweysMom » Tue May 01, 2018 1:10 pm

If you do a switch-over to the KMR, obviously you must do it incrementally - which I'm sure you know. If you've raised other exotics, you are well aware of the turmoil that can ensue from ANY little change in diet. Is there a particular reason why you want to switch? If the Esbilac is working for him, might be best just keep him on it. You'll be glad you did. FAR less chance of stomach upset, and possibly dealing with bloat, diarrhea or constipation.
As far as adding baby cereal/food, yes, you can do that, but again - incrementally. It's been awhile since I bottle fed, but I think I started adding the baby cereal (rice) into the formula at about 5 weeks, and slowly added more as the amount of serving sizes increased. Basically, when the milk no longer satiates them, they'll let you know! :lol: Then you can start allowing him to taste test other foods. I've always allowed mine to wean themselves. I'd rather THEY decide when they no longer want the bottle. And honestly, the longer you bottle feed, the better the bonding. Especially since he wasn't pulled from his mama early.
BTW, welcome to Sybil's! Glad to have another raccoon slave join our group!
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”