ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Introducing new raccoon

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Raccoonmama123

Introducing new raccoon

Postby Raccoonmama123 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:57 pm

Hey everyone! I am the proud mama of an adult 4 year old spayed female raccoon named tycoon. She lives in a specially made indoor/outdoor enclosure in my backyard. I recently brought home a new male who is 3 weeks old. I expected her to be excited since she has always accepted new dogs and cats that I adopted. Unfortunately as soon as she spotted him she started uncontrollably shaking, salivating, and making distressed noises. I have been going in for a couple min each day. Today she bit him and threw him to the floor. Does anyone have any advice on introducing them? I don’t want to upset her or risk hurting my new male. I put in the blanket he has been snuggling in so maybe she can get used to his smell. Do adult females sometimes try to kill foreign babies? I am so stressed! Any advice for multiple raccoon families?
DeweysMom

Re: Introducing new raccoon

Postby DeweysMom » Mon May 14, 2018 10:58 am

YES!! Absolutely, females can kill babies that aren't theirs. You must keep them separated until he's about 6 months old, then allow them to acclimate to each other gradually. If you can somehow separate your enclosure into 2 pens and allow them to meet with fencing between them, that would be best.

However, that being said, females are VERY temperamental. She may NEVER accept him. You may have to keep them in separate enclosures always. Good luck!! Please do come back if you have any questions or concerns. We're here to help!!
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue May 15, 2018 9:42 pm

A 3 week old shouldn't be in an enclosure at all. This is the time for him to bond to you & your family. He also still needs his bottle every several hours.
Raccoonmama123

Postby Raccoonmama123 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:03 pm

He’s not in a enclosure. He hangs out with me all day since I work at a vet office and I bottle feed him regularly. I’m just wondering when and how to start having them interact. I worked at a wildlife rehab where an adult female who couldn’t be released would be given a group of babies every summer after they were finished being bottl fed and she loved them. My female seems very apprehensive though.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed May 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Thank you for clarifying. I was worried. I would start right now, holding baby while interacting with the older coon. That will protect her from him and vice versa. All coons are different, but your older one probably never had babies of her own so probably doesn't know how to interact with the new one. If it was my Chloe, I wouldn't have a problem except to ensure the baby was old enough to not keep harassing her after being warned. I wouldn't be sure if it was my Scooter I was trying with, he tends to attack other animals. So a lot depends on Tycoon's temperament (I love the name). But it sounds like she will do fine with the baby, it will just take some time to get them used to each other. If you start out holding him and gradually letting them interact you should be fine. It sounds like she was treating him like just another coon, not a baby. I wouldn't put him down with her until she realizes he isn't a threat and will tolerate the baby's need for close ness. The thing is- a baby is going to want to cuddle up with Tycoon and until he gets old enough to not need that,or she decides its okay, it could be problematic to leave them alone together. Meanwhile enjoy them both and good luck. What's his name?
Raccoonmama123

Postby Raccoonmama123 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Thanks for the advice. His name is Gunner. He is extremely spoiled since I work with 15 other technicians at the vet hospital. He is being kept in our isolation room so he doesn’t get anything! But lots of snuggles and handling.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 pm

That's great Gunner should be a well socialized coon.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”