please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Raccoon Cough?

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Tabatha214

Raccoon Cough?

Postby Tabatha214 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:39 am

My Truvy is 13 weeks old. Yesterday she was playing and then just started breathing funny, almost like a dry heave or a cat trying to cough up a hairball. It happened again later in the evening while she was sleeping and it woke her up.
The only thing I can think of that was different yesterday is I ran a bath with coconut essential oil infused epsom salt. She was on the side of the tub dipping her hands in the water. She didn't drink it, but licked some off her hand before I moved her.

Is this normal or does she need to go to the vet?

Thanks,
Tab
Yatzee

Re: Raccoon Cough?

Postby Yatzee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:40 am

Mine is around the same age and was doing this yesterday. He seems fine today and was fine yesterday after 2 episodes. I noticed his happened after eating.
Tabatha214

Postby Tabatha214 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:05 am

Thanks! She hasn't done it again. Neither time was after eating though. I was thinking since they groom themselves, maybe a little hairball...

Btw she has had all of her vaccinations with the exception of last feline distemper and rabies that she goes to vet for at the end of the week..
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:05 am

If they're just learning to drink water or formula out of a water dish, sometimes they will aspirate a little, just because they haven't learned to lap it correctly yet. Some still kind of suck and lap until they get the hang of it. (Does that make sense??) Not sure if that was the cause for either of yours, but I've seen it happen with mine.

As long as the coughing episodes don't continue and/or get worse, or they get lethargic and won't eat or drink, there's probably no cause for alarm. :icon-wink:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:21 am

Have the vet check for worms.
Tabatha214

Postby Tabatha214 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:12 pm

No coughing since that day, so I dont know what caused it.
She was wormed at 6 & 7 weeks with 2 different wormers based on her fecal test at the vet.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:00 pm

She may have just swallowed wrong. My Chloe does that infrequently. But the first thing I think of is internal parasites.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:45 am

the epsom salt you put in the bath might have caused it. just use pet shampoo the next time.
make sure your racoon is rinsed well.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”