PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Sleeping in cage

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

Sleeping in cage

Postby Yatzee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:47 am

Yatzee is about 12ish weeks old and has been sleeping in bed with us since he was 5 weeks. Do any of you treat your coonie like a puppy and not a raccoon?
I was thinking about moving him to a cage at night but, I don't really want him to be in a cage, at all. If I go somewhere, hubby watches him or I take him with me. I'm in Florida and I'm already known in town as the exotic animal lady. I take my 6ft black throated monitor out to the bar.
I'm very new to having a raccoon. I have a prairie dog and a squirrel and neither of them use their cages. They have them but, we only use them if we have a party. With the door opened we dont want to risk anyone sneaking outside.
DeweysMom

Re: Sleeping in cage

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:12 am

If taking your raccoon out in public, please ensure HIS safety by knowing local/state laws. Not sure about FL, but in PA, we are NOT permitted to take our raccoons off home premises except for vet care, selling or breeding purposes. Getting caught can get you a fine, at the least, and seizure at the most.

People tend to accept reptiles in public quicker than a raccoon (it could have rabies, for gosh sakes!!) <dripping with sarcasm here> :roll:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:19 am

Here in Florida you need a permit, I have one.
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:20 am

He's been very well received by people. He's a blonde so, people are fascinated by his color
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:40 am

Still, please be cautious when allowing people to visit/interact with your boy. One bite or scratch reported to authorities, and off with his head (to check for rabies). I'd truly like to know why this 'rabid raccoon' phenomenon continues to be perpetuated. Yes, they can get and pass on rabies. So can darn near every mammal - including humans - with the exception of possums. Rabies in possums is extremely rare. Body temp to high for the disease to live.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:36 pm

Yatzee wrote:Here in Florida you need a permit, I have one.

You also need a state exhibition permit to take them anywhere but the vet. If you get a state exhibition permit that means your exhibiting so will also have to get USDA. Florida is weird that way.
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:27 pm

I have venomous reptiles so, FWC over seed my hot room. I already spoke to my detective. I have everything I need for having my raccoon out with me.
I'm not going to let people touch him
Anyway, can we get back to my main topic? :)
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:30 pm

I only need a USDA if I'm breeding.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:30 pm

They shouldn't be caged. They could be closed in a large enclosure or room but some do let them stay free, it can be hard to raccoon proof a whole house though.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:54 pm

OK, back on topic, then, Yatzee...

Yes, they can be kept in a 'cage', but a very large one - one that wouldn't really be considered a cage, but rather an enclosure. A small, raccoon-proofed spare room will do, or a specially built outdoor enclosure. Anything less than an 8'X10' enclosure is too small. They must be able to roam about some, have climbing and nest box places, latrine, water, etc.

I'm not sure what you're envisioning, but if it's along the lines of a large dog crate, that absolutely is not suitable for any amount of time more than just for a few minutes, say transporting to the vet. Unless you want a nasty raccoon, that is...
Dana

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:39 am

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Extra-Large-2-St ... r=1&_rdt=1
I cant get the url to work properly and I cant figure out how to post an image using my phone.
I have a cage like this and was thinking about using it for a 'den' maybe? Just some place he can be to get some him time. Like when he wakes up at 2am and wants to play but, I need to sleep. I guess what I'm asking is, do raccoons need a place they can call theirs or is letting him be basically like a dog and have the run of my bedroom area is ok? In my house, our bedroom is an addition, so, it's like a suite, large bedroom, with a large middle area, like a room sized hallway and then a bathroom with a door separating the rest of the house.
Legally here, I need to build an outdoor enclosure, even if I dont use it. What a waste because I dont want him to be an outside raccoon like that.
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:39 am

Oh shoot, the link did work!!
The shelves in that cage can be removed, making it a whole open area. I would keep a shelf in there for a bed area and then litter box on the bottom. Food and water would be in bowls attached to the side. It wouldn't be a place he would be locked in. I would only use it like I use my squirrels cage or prarie dog cage, they only get put in if we have parties where the doors to the house are open.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:37 am

I'm sorry, but I think you'll find most of us raccoon parents will concur that those types of cages are not only not suitable for raccoons, but actually are downright cruel. If you're looking for something to temporarily restrain your raccoon but allow him comfort and room for sleeping and a litter pan, this (link below) would be so much better for his happiness. These are big enough that you can hang toys, a hammock or two (or even build a sleeping area with a nest box for him) and still give him ample room to be content for short periods of time. This is what I used for my raccoons first 6-8 months, and they were content until I moved them to my outdoor.

https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Homes-Pets-Solutions-Double/dp/B005VVWBVY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1473022760&sr=1-17&keywords=large+dog+crate&linkCode=sl1&tag=petlife-20&linkId=304961a91f008efce32d2e5457a6c00f

For the $$ you're going to spend on one of those cages you included the link for, you can build an outdoor 8 times the size for about the same price. And honestly, MOST raccoons - given the choice of inside/outside living - DO enjoy having the option of outside. Like us, they enjoy watching, smelling, being out in, nature. And, like us, usually choose to stay indoors in cold, rainy or snowy weather.

A lot of raccoon parents attach their enclosure to the house and have a window or door with a doggie door in it so the raccoon(s) can come and go, but keep the weather and bugs out. And if you're one to have a lot of parties or noisy disruptions in your house, believe me when I say that your raccoon will be glad to get away from that as he gets older. At this point in his life, he's probably is pretty happy meeting and interacting with humans, but when they get older, MOST raccoons tend to get really leery of strangers, and it can tend to be VERY stressful on them to be around them.

If you decide the outdoor enclosure idea is one you wish to explore, there are plenty of ideas here on the forum - along with enrichment ideas to keep your kid happy. You can also find some really cool ideas online, just Google outdoor cat enclosures. Tons of very cool ideas on Pinterest. :icon-wink:
Dana

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Thank you so much for all that information. I like the idea of attaching the enclosure to the house!
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:18 am

Treating your coon like a puppy, especially if you have a real puppy has always worked really well for me. With the exception of - don't let him outside, its dangerous for him. The 12am "get up I want to play" can be very disruptive to your sleep, but if you put him off your bed when this happens he'll soon be old enough to entertain himself when this happens. The state I live in isn't a good coon state but I live in a farming area that makes a huge difference. My daughter raised her coon like you describe- she dumped him on me when he woke her up to play, he grew up to be the best socialized coon I've ever seen. If you attach an enclosure to your house via a window to give him safe outside time (my coons only use it if I hide eggs for them to find), then when you need to you can close the door to the room that has outside access..

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”