PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Sleeping in cage

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

Re: Sleeping in cage

Postby Yatzee » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:49 am

Thanks trefoil. So far so good with him being socialized. He hasn't been to a lot of places only because he didnt have his vaccines but, he got a good check up yesterday and his first round of vax so, i think we will venture out a bit more.
I'm having an issue finding a proper fitting harness tho. I want to use something to be connected to him, just in case. I've seen some people in Japan using regular dog collars. I'm still up in the air and trying to come to a decision. I guess now that he has vax we can go to the pet store and try things on. Hes so young right now that, when he gets nervous he just hides in the blanket i carry him with. He wont do that for long tho. And loud noises of coarse scare the cripes out of him. Hes slowly getting braver tho.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:46 pm

The last time Chloe was at the vets she climbed inside my t shirt. A 35lb coon doesn't fit too well, leaving her butt hanging out, which is how she got her shot. Be grateful its a blanket he's hiding under. I've not found a harness that mine couldn't get out of, a collar might work but please don't leave it on him - its a death sentence to a loose coon and you never know if they may get out.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:11 am

my opinion is, It is not a good idea to keep a raccoon in a cage at night. as dana mentioned, they are nocturnal animals.
However, sometimes mine will be awake in the morning for awhile, or even afternoon.
keeping a racoon caged is asking for aggression issues. (exception would be if the raccoon is very young.)

anyway, I thought I would tell you my set up, maybe this will give you some ideas :shrug:

I have a spare bedroom that has a doggie door that goes out to their enclosure.
in the bedroom, they have bunk beds (no mattress of course) I put large carries on top and bottom with blankets in them.
(yep, they are spoiled :lol: ) for the enclosure I bought a 10x10 dog kennel (heavy link) but also put chicken wire around that.
on the bottom, there is chain link fence, then I put a bunch of straw for their comfort. they also have places to climb, up, or places to go on the bottom. they spend a lot of time outside, mostly in the summer.

I will explain more if you want more ideas, gotta sign of right now, just got company.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:17 pm

gotta sign of right now, just got company.

Did Marco and his lovely sig other just show up??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”