ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Help PLEASE

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Trefoil

Help PLEASE

Postby Trefoil » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:20 pm

I'm on my 3rd mattress in 3 years, not counting the memory foam toppers. I've tried encasing the toppers and mattresses in "protectors", but so far haven't worked. Chloe likes to sleep in my mattress. She annihilates foam toppers and tunnels into the mattress which as i'm sure you realize makes for an uncomfortable sleep for me, not to mention is very hard on mattresses. I fully realize that the solution would be to ban her from my bedroom, but i'm not (yet anyway, I know i'm a pansyass) willing to do that.

My question: Has anyone come up with a reliable protection for mattresses and/ or memory foam pads? I need a solution before I get my 4th mattress. I wouldn't mind her sleeping under the topper as long as I can keep her from destroying everything.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help PLEASE

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:56 pm

What about something different. Not sure what though air matress would leave nothing to burrow into but I suppose she might bite through it. A feather bed(not topped) would also give no place to go into. It would be a mess when she does rip into it but you could just restuff and sew up. and you could always roll it up and stick it somewhere when you are not there watching her. https://www.mattressfirm.com/pacific-co ... 18509.html
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:40 pm

She doesn't bite she scratches through the coverings. I have pieces of foam everywhere. She was just a baby when I had the waterbed but she didn't mess with it- maybe because it was heated. I'm afraid to try the airbed but maybe i could try an air mattress before spending on an air bed.Maybe the noise when she deflated it would scare her enough to leave it alone.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:32 pm

Are you handy with a sewing machine? (Or know someone who is??) *Perhaps* making a mattress cover out of a rip-resistant or rip-proof fabric may work?? Not sure how comfy that would be to lay on, though...

A quick Google search found this fabric retailer:
https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/synthetic-quilt-blanket-fabric

I've been wanting to make new hammocks for my boys. Just may have to try some of this fabric to make them. Their prices are reasonable. :icon-wink:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:19 pm

Thanks for the link. I had thought denim was the best option, but the ripstop would be better and cheaper if its tough enough.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:28 pm

You're welcome!

I *think* I recall seeing that you can get material samples somewhere on that website...
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:59 pm

Have you used this material? Which would you suggest?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:21 am

trefoil,

I can relate t6o what your raccoon did. Larry did that to mine years ago. can't remember which type mattress it was.
I think mine was a memory foam mattress. since then, I got a regular box spring and mattress. the coons I have now don't seem to bother with it.
they will lay on it sometimes. on another note, they are put back in their room at night.

dana has a good idea also.

do your raccoons use a dog bed at all? mine do they love it. however, I have quite a few of them, some are on the elevated bed.. this is what I am talking about: https://www.chewy.com/coolaroo-steel-fr ... gJqTPD_BwE

I put the the dog pillow on top. since your raccoon is settled in on your bed, try the dog mattress.

let us know what works and what don't.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:37 am

Have you used this material? Which would you suggest?

I have not, Trefoil - but plan to order some, at some point in the future. Probably not til fall or winter, because I just don't have time to sew anything right now. Too much stuff outside to care for in the summer...

If you have any questions, it looked like they welcomed inquiries about their products. Maybe give them a call and they can answer your questions??
Dana

Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:25 pm

I did that, his response below

Justin Oliveri (Ripstop by the Roll)
Jun 27, 14:23 EDT
Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I would recommend the 2.2 Hex70 Breathable. It's the heaviest breathable material we currently carry.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Justin Oliveri
Customer Experience
www.ripstopbytheroll.com
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 pm

Thanks, Trefoil! Good to know. Maybe when I go to place my order, I'll call first to see what they recommend. I'll need something water resistant and hopefully weather-resistant, too, as some of the hammocks will be in their outdoor enclosure. The sun can be really hard on fabric... :-x
Dana

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:33 am

Do you have a place she can call hers? Yatzee has free roam of the house but, I have a cage set up that is his. I made a pillow case into a hammock. It has a slit in it and he likes to sleep covered. I'm on my phone and I can't post a picture. If you have instagram, he has one so you can see
Yatzee_the_racoon

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”