https://www.gofundme.com/f/my-sick-beagle-dog

could anyone post this on their Facebook, or whatever they have for media
It is for Lucy (my beagle) she has some serious health issues.
=======================================

Dog food recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14747

When to split siblings

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

jlangleyrn

When to split siblings

Postby jlangleyrn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:17 am

I am a new member and apologize ahead of time if this has been covered in the topics, but I haven’t been able to find this topic.

We are currently raising 2 abandoned raccoon siblings (1 make, 1 female), that I’m pretty sure we’re born around April 15th, based on their eyes opening May 4 and May 6th The kids are very healthy, they have transitioned to eating dry cat food about 95% of their meals, they use the litter box ( which was absolutely amazing to have them train themselves in 4 hours) and are both extremely loving, smart and playful.

Our plans have always been to split these siblings up when they get old enough and mature enough but I don’t know when that time is. I’m currently coparenting them with what’s essentially my best friend so we have a shared custody lifestyle where they spend about 2 weeks with each of us. The kids stay in a very large dog crate for now with the intention of building a large indoor and also an outdoor structure. The kids play rough, like a wild animal should, when they’re playing together but flip their charms on when they’re alone. I’m worried that they’re teaching each other bad habits, for when they’re alone, plus they’re amazing little destructive forces of nature when they’re together.

So at what age should we separate them ? Obviously they can live alone in the wild and breeders separate them extremely young. These two will see each other after we separate them, since we have a friends and hopefully they’ll continue to be amazing friends, as well as family, after we do separate them. Mine is a female and she’s bonded with my English Mastiff ( both have actually) and my friend has 3 kids and multiple indoor animals, so they shouldn’t be lonely.

So that’s our story in a nutshell. I just need opinions from experiences parents and any help will definitely be appreciated.

Thanks

PS: this board is amazing
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: When to split siblings

Postby pat » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:52 pm

they should have been separated when they were on the bottle. bottle feeding helps bonding with humans.

3-4 weeks is fine to re-home the 2nd one. don't know if you ever raised raccoons before, but, with me, one is not enough :lol:
it is nice to have two sometimes. they do play with each other. some nap together even as adults. mine still do anyway.
once in a while they will split up. so guess I can't say they nap together all the time. depending on the set the owner has.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Re: When to split siblings

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:56 am

they have transitioned to eating dry cat food about 95% of their meals

Please transition them over to DOG kibble. Coons love cat kibble, but the protein is too high and can eventually damage organs. Dog kibble is lower in protein, so much better for them. A good grain-free dog kibble will help keep your raccoon trimmer. Cheap dog food is usually mostly corn, which makes 'em fat. A little bit of cat food now and again - as a treat - is fine. Just try not to feed it as their daily staple.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”