PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

My baby became a wild raccoon

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

RockettesDad

My baby became a wild raccoon

Postby RockettesDad » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi,everyone. I'm new to raising raccoons so please be gentle. I'm an Animal Control Officer who has positioned himself (accidentally?) as a foster daddy for orphaned and injured possums and raccoons. Possums are easy enough. My problem is I have a female raccoon that is just over a year old. About 4 weeks ago, almost overnight she turned into a monster. I've read a bunch here about "seasonal aggression" and I'm wishing that I had her spayed early on. I honestly thought I'd be able to release her back to the wild. I was wrong. We're stuck with each other. That's cool because I love her very much. Here's my question....Is it too late to get her spayed and have my sweet girl back? Releasing her is not an option since I did but had to go grab her less than 24 hours later, after she charges and scratched some hikers. She has zero fear of humans or dogs. Also, if I get her spayed I dont think it'd be ethical to release her. Will getting her fixed fix my issue? Please someone help me work this problem!! Thank you.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My baby became a wild raccoon

Postby pat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:08 pm

spaying might help at that age, however, it might take a while for her mood to change at that age.
she should have been spayed when she was younger.

usually, aggresstion with an intact raccoon, will usually start around december, however, that don't always stand true.

I also think female raccoons are little harder to work with than than male raccoons.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
RockettesDad

Postby RockettesDad » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:34 pm

I'm hoping that she'll calm down. Our seasons are a bit "off" since I live south, closer to Cuba. Shes been acting crazy for about 5 weeks now and is starting to calm down and act nice again but it got pretty rough there for a bit. I may actually "double down" & introduce her to a boy raccoon who I am raising. He's a youngster right now and has a bad leg. Not sure if he can go wild. Maybe I neuter them both & let them be housemates?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:29 pm

raccoons usually like to have a buddy. so it would be a good idea to keep the 2nd one.

do you have dogs? most raccoons like dogs also. most will play with a dog. at least mine always do
I lost track of how any raccoons I have raised.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm

There's every reason to try the spay. Nothing to lose (except ca$h :icon-wink: ). Hopefully, it will make her less aggressive. I've heard that sometimes it does, other times, not.
However, having another raccoon for her to pal around with is definitely a good option. But I'd definitely get him neutered as well. Even spayed, if he is intact, she could still display aggressiveness during breeding season.
Welcome to the group! Let us know how you make out.
And photos of your 'kids' are always appreciated! :lol:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”