ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Vet/ toy advice

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BEHRtheRaccoon

Vet/ toy advice

Postby BEHRtheRaccoon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:42 am

Hey guys just wondering what age have you guys neutered I'm the first raccoon owner to all the vets in my area and my current vet is learning along the way which is scarey but I wanted to make sure I do it as soon as possible so Behr doesnt feel much of a difference and the changes won't be drastic. Also ive talked to one other raccoon owner what distemper shot do you guys recommend the one for dogs,cats or ferrets? Ive heard ferrets is the safest one for them. He has had both cat and dog because thats what the vet was recommended by a colleague. I know a lot of the vaccines aren't "approved" or recognized for them but I want to protect Behr best I can. Also what kind of tree branches do you guys use for toys, I took Behr to a park and taught him how to climb and I want him to be able to do that as Much as he wants, I was going to take the biggest branch I an find from the park that has fallen already but I dont want any harmful parisites any ideas are great Thank you in advance ( he does have two cat towers, but I want the more realistic stuff)
GitaBooks

Re: Vet/ toy advice

Postby GitaBooks » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:52 pm

I don't have any experience with Raccoons, but there are a lot of people who can give some great advice. Also, if you look at previous posts/threads about raccoons you can find some great information.

I can say that in all my experience studying animal health, no matter the species, neutering/spaying before they are reproductively mature but as late as possible tends to be healthiest. Animals that are fixed too early can stop growing in certain areas which can lead to problems. I've also observed that they sometimes don't mature as well behaviorally. Some people even believe that fixing certain animals like ferrets too early can lead to certain cancers and diseases.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your baby! : )
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:45 am

BEHRtheRaccoon wrote:Hey guys just wondering what age have you guys neutered I'm the first raccoon owner to all the vets in my area and my current vet is learning along the way which is scarey but I wanted to make sure I do it as soon as possible so Behr doesnt feel much of a difference and the changes won't be drastic. Also ive talked to one other raccoon owner what distemper shot do you guys recommend the one for dogs,cats or ferrets? Ive heard ferrets is the safest one for them. He has had both cat and dog because thats what the vet was recommended by a colleague. I know a lot of the vaccines aren't "approved" or recognized for them but I want to protect Behr best I can. Also what kind of tree branches do you guys use for toys, I took Behr to a park and taught him how to climb and I want him to be able to do that as Much as he wants, I was going to take the biggest branch I an find from the park that has fallen already but I dont want any harmful parisites any ideas are great Thank you in advance ( he does have two cat towers, but I want the more realistic stuff)

raccoons are more in the dog family than the cat family. do not feed a raccoon cat or ferret food.
also, caging a raccoon will make them aggressive.

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=12752
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:01 am

According to Yatzzee's vet, before 6 months is a good time. It stops from bad habits forming, like aggression.
My boy is around 6 months, his adult teeth are coming in and I haven't neutered him yet. His testicles haven't dropped. We were hoping they would have by now. So, by next month with his last set of shots, we're going to have to do it. Sadly, it is going to be a far more expensive surgery now. If no issues, it was going to be 400$, now, I'm waiting on an email for the changed price.
Exotic animals are not cheap. That's for sure.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:32 pm

Pat, BEHRtheRaccoon was asking which species vaccinations her vet should use
what distemper shot do you guys recommend the one for dogs,cats or ferrets?

not what kind of food to feed.

BEHR, I would share this link with your vet - latest edition is 2010, but it pretty much has all the info your vet should need about day-to-day raccoon care.
https://www.speakcdn.com/assets/2332/procyonidcaremanual2010r.pdf
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”