ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Male 4 month old peeing everywhere

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Rocket2018

Male 4 month old peeing everywhere

Postby Rocket2018 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi. We've had our little guy about 3 months. He littered trained very easily but in the last 2-3 weeks he is peeing anywhere he wants. He pees in my shoes, on my recliner, and leaves drops as he moves about. He will pee on me and my daughter when she comes to visit but not on my husband or son. Any thoughts and ideas? I am constantly washing, changing clothes, cleaning the recliner, mopping our floors. This is the third cooner we've had but I've never had this problem before.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Male 4 month old peeing everywhere

Postby pat » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:12 pm

he could have an infection. a vet visit might help.

what are you using for his litter box and litter?
how many litter pans are you using?

whatever more in depth info you can offer, hopefully, we can try and help.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Rocket2018

Postby Rocket2018 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:19 am

Thank you Pat. I have a cat litter box and regular cat litter. I remove urine clumps and poop daily. We only have one litter box that is in a cage that he can get in and out of (it's got 3 levels) but my dogs can't get to. We leave the top door open for him and dogs can't get to litter. I can't take him to a vet. I'm in NY. He always has water and food. I hadn't thought of an infection. His main diet is cat food and fresh veggies from my garden. He loves the fruit loops and fruits he gets for treats. He seems very happy and of course very active. I wonder if I can get medication for him online...
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:52 pm

PLEASE do not feed him cat food. feed him dog food. small kibbles. I use "taste of the wild"
also, some cooked chicken, fruits, a little marshmellows.

mine love the marrow bones for a snack. I shop at chewey.com
their prices are very good. free shipping and usually the next day.
they have dog food also.

on the litter pans. you could try having more than one. if your concern is the dogs, put another litter box in wooden box with a hole big enough for your raccoon to go in. on another note, my dogs do not bother with the raccoon litter boxes. dogs for some weird reason will eat cat poop :roll:
I have a set up for that so the dogs can not get to the cat litter box.

please keep us updated.

Rocket2018

Postby Rocket2018 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:13 pm

I ordered "Utrin" and "Probiotic Miracle" as well as urine test strips to see if there's any issues going on there. It will be a few days before they arrive. I'll change his food tomorrow and will set up another litter box, as well as doing your other suggestions. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you for all your help!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:48 am

if possible, try the cement mixing pans. raccoons seem to do better with larger pans.
if you still have problems after than, try the regular litter. that is what I use.
mine are pretty faithful on using them.

I actually have 6 litter pans. one large one and the rests regular ones. these pans are used for 3 raccoons and one fox.
(I had two foxes that died of old age icon-sad )

https://www.google.com/search?q=cement+ ... Rm2L8cTE7M:

I have an enclosure and their own room. but will let them in the house with me.

keep us updated.

DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:41 am

Rocket2018, if you are on Facebook, there's a fabulous group on there called Raccoon Health. You could explain your boy's symptoms to them and I'll bet they could give you exact med type and dosages for your kid. It's a closed group, but I could recommend they add you. PM me if you're interested.

I'm glad you plan to test his urine before you give any medication. You may find his urine tests fine. He could just have weak bladder control, and this should improve as he gets older. Or - - - he's just marking his important things as his. :lol:

As Pat said, cat food isn't good for raccoons. It's too high in protein and can wreak havoc on their kidneys over time. Pretty sure the cat food didn't cause the peeing issue, though.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:57 am

Is he neutered?
Rocket2018

Postby Rocket2018 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:35 am

Thank you Pat and Dana. His urine was good except his Nitrites was high which could indicate a UTI. But it also says vets consider that part of the test unreliable. He's getting the Utrin and Probiotic Miracle. He is doing better with the peeing. A little better. He hasn't pee'd on me in a week or so. I still find dribbles on the floor on occasion. I would love to get on the FB group you mentioned Dana. I'll request it now.
flufferluv

Postby flufferluv » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:05 am

Hi Rocket2018. Did you find a solution for this problem? My boy Wonder started doing the same thing about a week ago. We're headed to the vet in about an hour for testing and possible neutering if he doesn't have any infections. But I'm super curious to know what worked for you in case the vet doesn't find any infection. Thanks.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”