ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Biting

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lyndibeth

Biting

Postby Lyndibeth » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:01 am

Ok so I have a juvenile raccoon that my husband found whn she was little enough that we had to feed her wit a syringe then a little bottle. Shea now been eating solids for about a month and a hlf. I keep looking stuff up about her due to the fact that we are keeping her. I would like to know how to keep her from biting. She play bites whn we play with her but she gets excited and begins to lunge & bite. I have tried the back of the neck an when we do say "no, she will listen but will do it again. So I was wonderin if there was another way to keep Rockell from biting after she gets too excited playin.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Biting

Postby pat » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:37 pm

never play bite with a raccoon. there are other ways to play with raccoons.
play biting encourages biting they think it is OK. icon-sad

raccoons do learn words. however, not as quick as a dog. get your raccoon use to hearing "no bite" or something or similar"

you can also tap him in the nose and tell him "no bite"
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:53 am

When she gets too wound up and starts biting too hard, in addition to scolding her, give her a time out. The back-of-the-neck correction is very good. It's how mama or another raccoon would correct them. Also add a very firm "NO!" or whatever word you want to use at the same time you correct her on the neck. NEVER EVER be harsh with physical corrections with raccoons - be firm but not hurtful/painful. Like elephants, they NEVER forget, and will eventually pay you back. Just correct her, and when she stops the bad behaviour, immediately reward her and forget the incident happened. Positive rewards system works far better with raccoons than any other training.

Right now, she's young and full of herself. Rough play is OK - as long a YOU are in control of how rough and for how long. But try your best to discourage really rough biting or attacking. If you allow it now, it becomes really scary once they become 30 pounds of claws n teeth! :lol:

You could also buy a pair of welder's gloves and wear them when she gets rough. They learn to distinguish when you have gloves on, it OK to be rough, but when it's bare hands, she must be gentle. And if you have another animal, like a tolerant dog, that she could play with, the dog will 'correct' her when she gets out of hand. Another raccoon would serve even better. :icon-wink:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:51 am

I wouldn't encourage rough play. Play to you could be perceived as bullying to her. Irregardless, when she gets too rough I would stop playing and let her calm down. Deweys Mom is right- a dog makes a really good playpal for a coon, another coon does as well but 2 coons raised together won't be as tame as one raised alone.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:10 pm

Trefoil is correct: rough play really shouldn't be encouraged. I just meant that to save your hands and arms until she is properly trained, use the weld gloves. As 'teenagers' (as yours is right now), they are GOING to get rough until you train them responsible behavior. It's just the nature of the beast. :icon-wink:

When mine were young, I resorted to the gloves and they eventually learned absolutely no roughness - unless the gloves were on. As they got older, if in a super- rowdy mood - I'll still break them out on occasion and we roughhouse. >BUT< mine KNOW not to be that way UNLESS I'm wearing the gloves, and totally respect when I am not wearing them. Because they now KNOW that NO means NO, and immediately quit any rude behavior when I say no. That's why I will allow mine occasional rough-housing.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Stella365

Postby Stella365 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:49 pm

Do not encourage rough play! It can be dangerous to you and people around you.
JNR51493

Postby JNR51493 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:04 pm

How do break this biting behavior? My Toody is full of energy & loves to play but she is constantly biting. She is about 6 months old, we are getting her fixed next month!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:34 pm

JNR51493 wrote:How do break this biting behavior? My Toody is full of energy & loves to play but she is constantly biting. She is about 6 months old, we are getting her fixed next month!

there are posts in this topic with same issue. just scroll up to look at the replies.
if you need further help. let us know.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”