ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Behavior Change in Neutered Raccoon

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

rangerrocketraccoon

Behavior Change in Neutered Raccoon

Postby rangerrocketraccoon » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Yesterday I had Rocket neutered, just shy of 5 months old. I had not yet noticed any signs of aggression beside rough play, but I wanted to avoid any risk of him developing bad behaviors as he matures. I was surprised/concerned that today he has been very calm and affectionate. I wish he's this way all the time, but it's not been the norm. Is that typical after neutering? Could it be that he's just sore? I am giving him pain medication. Maybe that is affecting him?

Also, what has been your experience long-term after having a male neutered? What should I expect in regards to his behavior?

Thanks for in advance for your assistance and insight!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Behavior Change in Neutered Raccoon

Postby pat » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:43 pm

don't quite remember how mine were after being fixed. I never really had any aggression with mine.
however, your raccoon is probably a little sore. possibly a little sedated.

just don't "rough play" with him. there are other ways to play.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:08 am

Your raccoon is probably still a bit groggy from the sedation, or from the pain meds - or just a little sore. You can expect him to get back to normal in under 3 days. If he doesn't, checking in with your vet about his change in behavior is a good idea.

Testosterone doesn't leave the body when the gonads do. :lol: It takes weeks for it to dissipate. Again, if your raccoon is sluggish, off food, etc, for an extended time, he may be dealing with a post-op infection or something else. Please contact your vet with any concerns.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:37 pm

The first two years are full of emotional turmoil, temper tantrum, line testing, and coon hijinks. Once you get through those first two
years, the personality is pretty reliable and not as subject to change. Every coon is different, they've got their sensitivities and
idiosyncrasies, you'll sort them out together, and learn to read each other. As for post neuter, I've got four boys who all reacted pretty
similarly to neuter - they barely noticed! :lol:

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”