ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Cryptorcid/spay lumps

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

Cryptorcid/spay lumps

Postby Yatzee » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:40 pm

Yatzee developed a seroma while healing his cryptorcid incision. The vet drained it, put him on 2 antibiotics and it shrunk.
Now, he has a hard lump. When he lays on his back it looks like a rubber bouncy ball is under the skin. When I feel it, the lump extends into a bigger hard lump.
Picture a snowman without the middle, that's how the lump feels.
Have any of you guys gone through this with spay incisions or cryptorcid incisions? If so, did the lump go away?
The vet wants to go in and remove it surgically if it doesn't go away. I don't want to put him under again and, what if the same thing happens? It would be for nothing.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cryptorcid/spay lumps

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Hyzzie had a "lump" from her spay, it was a hernia. It was only fat in it and not intestine so we watched it and eventually, many years, later it became fixed, before that the fat lump could be pushed back into her but it didn't stay due to the hole in her abdominal wall. If the vet thinks there's intestine in it or that it's big enough it might get intestine in it, then it should be fixed.
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:06 am

No, it's not hernia. We rolled that out. It's not soft and doesn't push back in.
I thought reaction to sutures but, the vet said the inside one are the same as the outside ones and there is no visible irritation on the outside.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:47 pm

In that case, if it's in the same spot, it's probably just scaring from the seroma and shouldn't be an issue. If it's not bothering him and he doesn't have a fever or anything then it seems better to leave it, surgery caused it in the first place so probably better to be conservative and not go cutting again without good reason.
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:38 am

The lumps have gone down significantly. One concern I do have is, yatzee's been on 2 antibiotics for 14 days now. I'm going to pick more up now at the Vet office. How long is too long to be on antibiotics before they don't work?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:31 pm

14 days is not super long. The average is 7-10 days but worse infections may need it longer. There is no set time when it would cause resistance but stopping it before the infection is fully gone is more likely to allow the bacteria to develop resistance than continuing to give it. Since it's shrinking this will probably be the last round. Finding another vet for a second opinion is an option though. You can give probiotics while on the antibiotic to help his gut but give hours apart from the antibiotic so it doesn't interfere.
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Thanks for the info. I trust the vet we have now, he's really awesome. I thought the longer anyone was on antibiotics the more resistant the body gets. Looks like I was wrong. What you said makes sense.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”