ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Anal Gland issues

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

DeweysMom

Anal Gland issues

Postby DeweysMom » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:13 pm

So Bobby seems to have issues with his anal glands. He had them expressed last year about this time, and he's been good since. Now, he's got smelly bum again and is rubbing it on anything he can - including my new white sneakers! Yuk!!

Anyhow, I was on Chewy's a little bit ago, ordering some stuff for my dogs, and I ran across this product. Wondering if it would be OK to give to a raccoon? I see nothing in the ingredients that would be harmful to raccoons.

In addition, I was reading the comments about this product, and some people had mentioned giving probiotics and canned pumpkin would help resolve the anal gland issue, so I wondering about that as well.

https://www.chewy.com/glandex-probiotic-fiber-anal-gland/dp/118577
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anal Gland issues

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Looks interesting. I'm not sure about the one ingredient "quercetin" https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... .201700447

Beaker dog was having some anal gland issues but he was able to express them himself by licking. He doesn't do that any more after I added this https://amzn.to/2CfpHaI to make his meals better balanced. Not sure why since it's not sold for that issue but it seems to have fixed that issue for him, or it might be coincidence, but that's all I've changed.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 am

Thanks for your response, Mary. After perusing the article you linked, I'm kind of worried about the quercetin...

I think I'll just try the probiotics and pumpkin - IF he'll eat the pumpkin. I don't feed raw, so the Better Raw stuff that you offered wouldn't work for me. I've tried feeding raw to my raccoons, but they won't touch it. :icon-frown:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Maybe the pumpkin and probiotics will work. Beaker's food topper has probiotics and fiber in it so that could be what helped.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:13 pm

george use to have that problem. I took him to the vets, they shaved him, then cleaned it out his anal gland thereafter, , sometimes I need to trim the fur around there too.
however, give mary's ideas a try first and see how it goes.

will bobby let you trim there? I use scissors that don't have a point on it.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:34 pm

Update: I've begun feeding Bobby foods that will increase his fiber intake, and honestly, it seems to be helping. Yay! Just by adding a quarter of a banana per day, and a mix of banana, pumpkin and peanut butter (about 4 TBS of this mixture) each evening, his bum is now sparkling clean ('output' is much firmer and less messy!) and with each passing day, his bum is less stinky, too, so it looks like (for now) the problem has been solved. Yay!!
:happyfox:

When the stool is firmer, the anal glands get expressed as the poop passes, therefore no more engorged anal sacs. He's stopped rubbing his bottom on everything and he seems like a happier camper now. Mommy is pleased, too. :lol:
Dana

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”