https://www.gofundme.com/f/my-sick-beagle-dog

could anyone post this on their Facebook, or whatever they have for media
It is for Lucy (my beagle) she has some serious health issues.
=======================================

Dog food recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14747

Looking Fore Diet Advice

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

Looking Fore Diet Advice

Postby Yatzee » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Since Yatzee is an indoor coonie and every thing outside scares him, should I get a UVB light for him? I have lizards so, I have plenty of those bulbs.

I have a separate issue also. He's been dribbling pee and laying on my clothes and peeing. Last night, he laid on the wheels of my office chair and peed on them. I was reading the search for peeing on this forum. Someone was feeding their coonie cat food. He was told cat food was high in protein. Well, I feed 4HEALTH grainfree whitefish. Would that be considered to high in protein? If so, would feeding a senior dog food be better for the low protein?
I took Yatzee to North Carolina(we live in Florida) for 2 weeks. By the begining of the second week, he started dribbling pee while walking up there. Every day. There were rats in the cabin. When we got back home. He stopped. He is neutered. I do have cats, a prairie dog and a squirrel. Maybe he's marking his territory?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UVB bulb

Postby pat » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:13 pm

on the 4-health, I use to feed it to my raccoon and dogs along with the chicken. now I can't remember why I quit using the 4-health. I don't use much dog food at all for any of my animals.
except for sybil (my bear), their immune system is much stronger than a dog or other animals. I guess I am just paranoid. a friend of mine feeds his dogs 4-health. they seem to be OK,
however, I think raccoons need more than just dry dog food. only my opinion.

does your raccoon eat fruits? eggs? fruits and veggies are good for them. mine won't eat veggies. maybe I need to find one they will eat.
raccoons have a sweet tooth. sometimes I will put very little syrup or brown sugar on a small portion of dog food.

I could be wrong, but, I don't think the food is an issue with the urine problem. but, it could be. I really don't know.

I took a dog I had to vets for a urine problem (same as your raccoon). that was her only issue. the vet recommended their science diet food. OK, so I thought, they should know.
the next day, she hemorrhaged all over the floor. I took her to the vet. they didn't know why that happened. I then took her to an after-hours vet.
I think they related it to something she ate. which would have been the science diet. now every time I see that dog food in the store I cringe.
on another note, it was about the time when some dog foods were tainted. there was a lot of dogs that died because of many of the dog foods.
that is why I am paranoid about using much dog food. I would think they are better now, but not taking a chance.

also, some dog foods and treats, the bag will say "made in USA" however, some did or still do get the ingredients from China or maybe another country. I really don't know.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:20 pm

He does eat fruits and veggies, they tend to give him diarrhea when he eats too much of them. He won't eat chicken or fish or any kind of raw or even cooked meat. Occassionally he'll steal abandoned pieces of cat food. Not many, less than 10 pieces. Whatever the prairie dog spilled. But, he doesn't eat enough of it to cause issues.
Yatzee is a very picky eater. He likes his dog food. I know food that isn't grainfree are full of fillers. It makes their poop light colored and frequent. When I was a vet tech, the rule of thumb for a good food was, dark in color and going less frequent his poop is dark and he only poops twice a day.
A friend of mine sent me a video of a vet stating grainfree dog food leads to heart failure because it has legumes in them. Supposedly a family of golden retrievers developed heart issues due to the food. To me, it could be genetic. All dogs were related. I think more study needs to be done.
I searched 4health grainfree ingredients. It looks like 4health performance dog food has no legumes. Chicken, chicken meal, rice and barley are the first 4 ingredients. I'm going to have to go to tractor supply and look at protein percentages. Senior dog food is usually low in protein. I know raccoons are closer to dogs than other animals but, seeing how they are scavengers, you'd think you can feed them any thing and they would be ok. Stomachs of cement. He is from a breeder and not wild so, maybe breeding can cause issues.
I know cheap food can cause Crystal's in cats. Those can cause blockage and UTIs. I saw this a lot. Not so much in dogs tho.
Determining right and wrong, good and bad in raccoons has definitely been a learning experience.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:14 pm

I think sometimes too much fruit would be an issue. geez, after raising raccoons for many years, foods change. raccoons can sometimes be like people, they have their own preference.

when you give your raccoon fruits and veggies, what and how much? have you tried cooking chicken breast, cut it up in bite-size pieces, then mix some cooked sweet potatoes with it?
maybe a little syrup or brown sugar?

I guess if they get hungry enough, they will eat it. when I feed mine, I put the food down for them. mostly late in the day or evening.
they don't always eat it right away, but, will later.

my oldest raccoon loves prunes. the other two don't.

won't your raccoon even eat marshmallows?
I will try and come up with some ideas, right now, I am tired and having a bad day.

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:52 pm

Sorry about your bad day. Hope the issue gets resolved.

I don't give yatzee any sweets because he is ginormous. I don't want to start a bad habit to where the only way I can get him to eat is to pour sweets over his food.
When I cut fruits and veggies for the squirrels, I cut samples for him. About a 1/2 cup of a selection. I was giving him that in the AM and then a 1/2 cup of free feed dry dog food. Diahrrea. I cut him back to 1 small piece of what ever I feed the squirrels. Take it or leave it.
I purchase, squash, zucchini, celery,tomatoes,eggplant,peaches,plums,star fruit,prickly pear, cauliflower, carrots, greens, romaine, grapes, radishes, cucumbers..whatever the farmers market has at the time.
I have tried every thing. Raw meat, cooked meat. Meat mixed with veggies and fruit. Every thing mixed with his dog food.
He is so picky. I know he likes sweets. I just don't think it's the right thing to give him. They aren't good for people so, they are definitely not good for animals.
I don't want to fool him into eating and i don't want to start any bad habits.
Today I kept all the animals except the squirrel out of his living area. No pee dribbles. So, that's good news.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:31 am

I understand. As I said, raccoons are like people. some have their own preference.
most raccoon love sweet stuff.but, obviously not a lot. however, sounds like your raccoon is doing better. glad to hear that.

I think some or most animals have different food preference. How old is Yatzee now? Just wondering.
my oldest one is 6 years old now. my other two are 2 years old.

does Yatzee semi-hibernate in winter months? mine sleep a lot more in the winter months.

I understand what you are saying about the sweets. however, animals have a different digestive system than people.
I don't give mine much sweets and not every day.

sounds like it was the squirrel food that was not so good for him. I really don't know for sure, only my guess by what you mentioned.

Off topic a little: I almost got squirrels awhile ago. I always liked them. I see the wild ones outside and enjoy seeing them.
when I had my coonhound dogs, they took an interest in seeing the wild squirrels in the tree. it was kind of funny, cause it looked like
the squirrels would tease my dogs. my coonhounds never killed any, probably couldn't catch them.
however, my coonhounds were fine with my chickens and other outside birds I have or had.
but, they knew the difference between what belongs here and what don't. I don't have any coonhounds left, they all died of old age or illness.
most from old age. I would like to get another coonhound, but, I already have my hands full.

the two female coonhounds use to mother my oldest raccoon when he was a baby. they would clean my raccoon, let the raccoon snuggle up to them.
it was so cute.

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Yatzee is 8 months old. I'm not sure if he's starting to hibernate. We live in Florida and keep out bedroom area at 68 degrees all year. Yesterday I did an experiment though.

He wakes up about 7am and then heads back to bed at about 10amish. He usually gets back up at around 5pmish. Well, these past few mornings he hasn't wanted to get up in the mornings. Now, he used to sleep in his hammock and changed his sleeping spot to the top of a plastic bin about 2 weeks ago. Well, instead of giving him a shoulder ride to the bedroom, I let him be. He would wake up in the morning and not want to get down. So, I left him.
He went back to sleep! Woke up at 5ish and still wouldn't get up. He stayed in bed until the next morning! He did this for 2 days.

I replaced his pillowcase on his carpet hammock and now he's
using his hammock again. He hides inside the pillowcase to sleep. Now, he's up and out of bed at 7am. Goes back to bed after awhile and, up and out of bed at 5pmish. I assume he wasn't getting good sleep on top of the plastic bin. It's up against the wall next to the door so, he would wake up every time the door opened. And he was more aggressive too. Now, back in his hammock, he has gone back to his 'normal' behavior. So, I don't know if he hibernates, yet. Florida is still having 90 degree days so, the weather won't get really cold until january/February.

Squirrels are fun. I've had Cherub Chub Chub since she was a few days old. She still had her umbilical cord! She's so sweet and neato. I had one before her but, she passed away in the middle of the night when she was 8 months old. Not sure why. I have another one, Pixie, she was given to me shortly after she opened her eyes. So skinny. Mom was probably eaten by a hawk. A lady saw her climbing down a tree and just picked her right up. I have her outside trying to get her used to outside so I can set her free but, she is so darn friendly. She went make it out there being friendly. I think I'm going to keep her until Spring. Hopefully her natural instincts will kick in and want to be free. I tried bringing her in and mingle with Chubs but, both seemed stressed out about it.

Having a pet squirrel is fun but, they chew every thing. I have a prairie dog too and he chews every thing low, Chubs chews every thing that is high. Lol. But, doors and chairs are just things. Our house is very pet friendly. Window sills can be sanded, right? Lol.

If you have Instagram, you can see yatzee and the crew there. I don't know how to post pictures here from my phone.
Yatzee_the_Racoon
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Looking Fore Diet Advice

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Since this thread went more heavy on the diet than the other duplicate thread I changed the title instead of merging them, so it will be less confusing. Hope that's okay. I could always change it to something different if you want.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”