PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

Raccoon Vaccinations

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Yatahee99

Raccoon Vaccinations

Postby Yatahee99 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am new to the forum and looked for a similar post, I am sure I missed it. I apologize for that. I have a 7 month female that I rescued. Her mother was killed when Bandette was about 1 week old. I have had her ever since. My intention is to release her in the spring but before I do, I want to vaccinate her against rabies (I already did) but also canine distemper, Feline Panleukopenia, Parvovirus. I have researched which vaccines to use but am unable to purchase the others unless you buy 25 vials which costs in the hundreds for each vaccine (rabies is sold single vial). I have contacted local rehabbers and they DO NOT vaccinate their raccoons at all prior to release which I find unfortunate. Also local vets will not vet them. Another question, does anyone have experience with which ear tags work best for raccoons (tags that you don’t have to buy 100 at a time)? Any advice would be great.

She is a lot of fun (and work). We go outside and she spends 3-10 hours at a time being free in the trees exploring being a raccoon doing what raccoons do. When ready to go in, she comes when called. She has access to wild animals and I wish to protect her from disease. I have rehabbed many wildlife animals. Please do not comment if it will be regarding her not being able to return to the wild. So will be well cared for and prepared. There are 1200 acres for her at our home.

Below is a list of vaccines I have looked into. If you have any others that are safe for raccoons and are sold as single vials please let me know. Again thank you for your time.

Feline Panleukopenia: Fel-o-vax LVKIII® (Ft. Dodge) or Felocell CVR® (SmithKline Beecham) - a modified live vaccine that has also been used in raccoons.
Canine Distemper: Fervac-D™ (United Vaccine) or Duramune 5 Way® (Ft. Dodge) or Recombitek C-4™ (Rhone- Merieux) or Distemink® (United Vaccine)
Raccoon Parvovirus: Biovac® (United Vaccine)
Rabies: Rabvac-3™ or Imrab-3™ - both by Solvay
DeweysMom

Re: Raccoon Vaccinations

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Thank you for saving her life. And you'll get nothing but support from me on returning her to the wild - as long as she's prepared. I do hope you'll plan to support her with food and nestbox opportunities when you decide it's time to set her free. Even for a wild-born and -raised, the first year is extremely difficult for them, and mortality rates are high. I successfully rescued and released one, and kept track of him via trail cam on a food plot for several years. Sadly, after year 4, he disappeared. But I firmly believe that if they come from the wild, they should be returned to the wild, as long as they have no disabilities or health issues that would preclude them from doing so.

I'm sorry that I cannot be any help on the vaccines. You MAY be able to find some of them as single doses, if you search enough online. I know that places like Valley Vet, Jeffers Pet, Doctors Foster & Smith, etc do carry some vaccines as single doses. Tractor Supply also has a limited stock in store. Good luck with that. Selecting the correct vaccines can be very coonfusing! If you've not run across the AZA Guidelines for Procyonidae before, it's a really handy guide to have. Vaccine recommendations are included in the guide:

https://www.speakcdn.com/assets/2332/procyonidcaremanual2010r.pdf

As far as ear tagging, that is something that I would probably discourage. Like collars, an eartag can get caught on stuff and could be partially or completely torn out, causing injury and inviting infection. I truly hope you will give that idea a bit more consideration.

If I can be of any assistance pre- or post-release, feel free to contact me. And if you're on FB, there are numerous groups you could join that would also be extremely helpful - namely raccoon rehab groups. I can direct you to a very good one, if you'd like.

Again, thanks for all you're doing for this little girl. Without you, she would have had zero chance at a life.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Yatahee99

Postby Yatahee99 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:43 am

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding vaccines.... I have searched online for months unable to locate single doses (except rabies). I have contacted raccoon breeders also asking for advice, unfortunately they have been unable to help as most obviously have a vet who vets them or they buy in bulk. Local feed stores and Tractor Supply (along with similar types) have not had any single doses either. icon-sad I will continue to search...not giving up yet. If there are other brands other than the ones I listed that are known to be safe for raccoons through experience, please let me know. Mind you, I have been looking for the above listed brands that have been said to be safe for raccoons (through experience...not necessarily actual studies). Does anyone know the safety of the brand Canine Imuno Vax-5 for Distemper-Adenovirus Type 2- Parainfluenza-Parvovirus? (modified live virus). I can find this at the local Tractor Supply.

Regarding releasing....She will have a supply of daily food for as long as she wants and I am hoping she will make her first official home in the tree she was born in. No other raccoon has moved in (we will see when breeding/birthing time comes...it’s a sweet spot in an old 150+ year old oak tree). She plays in her original den daily leaving her scent, which I hope discourages others from moving in. I will not release her until Spring. She does not have time to prepare herself (home,food,defend herself, etc...) before winter comes. She is 12lbs now and I would like her to be a bit bigger to better defend herself. They stay with mom typically for the first year anyway so I believe Spring would be perfect. She was born the last week of April from my best guess gauging the time I found her and when her eyes/ears finally opened. She was only about a week old when I found her screaming in her den while watering my garden. A raccoon died the night before I found Babdette near this den which I assume was unfortunately her mother.

Thank you for your time. Any and all advice is welcomed, first time raccoon mommy here.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:04 pm

have you seen this one?

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=12752
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Yatahee99

Postby Yatahee99 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:22 am

Yes, thank you. I came across those links and many others that were similar in my research. I am aware of the risk of MLV and that a killed virus is safer/preferred. I was hoping since raccoons have not been extensivly studied, that maybe someone had experience with another brand that was effective and didn’t cause disease. Wishful thinking. Lol
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:41 pm

I honestly don't know of any other brands other than what my vet vaccinated my raccoons with.
being released in the wild is a good idea to vaccine your raccoon. however, living in the wild is pretty rough for some icon-sad

a lot of people get trigger happy when they see a wild raccoon. many people that don't have raccoons, seem to think all raccoons have rabies.
but,that is not always true. my state drops rabie cakes for the wild raccoons. however, not knowing who gets them and who don't.
however, even without the rabie cakes, there has not been any cases of a rabid raccoon.

in my state, there are very rare cases of rabid raccoons. personally, I have never seen a rabid wild raccoon here or heard of any in my state.
every state is different I guess.

If I can think of other options, I will let you know. there might be some vets that will give the rabie shots, but, pretty hard to find if not legal icon-sad

Yatahee99

Postby Yatahee99 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:14 pm

I have already given her a rabies vaccine, it’s the others I am unable to find to give her myself since local vets are not allowed vet them. I have even considered driving her to raccoon legal state to get her vetted but I am finding opposition to that idea with my husband. With regards to trigger happy people, that is one reason I was looking into an ear tag. They have very small U shaped metal ones that do not hang in silver or bright colors. You just have to buy 100-300 at a time. I was thinking this may help to deter trigger happy people. I am aware of the risks of putting a tag which is why I am still researching it. Living where I live with 1200 acres, people do hunt. I have even come across raccoon specific ones so we will see.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:11 am

I can't say if an ear tag would help or not. however, I doubt it would. most hunters will look a wild raccoon as just that "wild"
they might not even see the ear tag, if so, most probably won't care.

also, as dana mentioned, it could create a problem with an ear tag. it is so hard to predict what if anything would happen to the raccoon once released. the raccoon just might stick around your place if being fed. however, you might end up with more than you bargain for.
the raccoon you have might meet up with friends and tell them "hey, I know where we can get some good food" :lol:

I know distemper can be issue with wild raccoons. it is a slow painful death for them :cry: I had a dog that had distemper.
in fact, I was watching youtube the other day, and seen the reaction of a wild raccoon that had distemper. it was so darn sad.

what if you kept a feeding station of some sort nearby?

I don't have a good answer. wish I did. If I could think of something, I will.

Yatahee99

Postby Yatahee99 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:00 pm

We already feed wild raccoons/opposumes/armadillos/skunks/hogs/turkeys/deer/rabbits/bats via outside dog/horse food and various other means. We have gone out and have seen 8 pairs of eyes in a tree just feet from our shop. The raccoons are already here, they come nightly lol. They don’t bother anything just eat and run. I love watching the bats,they prob are my favorite to watch every evening. The hogs like a certain spot in my yard and driveway. The turkeys are just random visitors, you never know. Deer bed down in my pasture just a few feet from the house. I think they know it’s safe from hunters lol. I figure the wildlife are part of the package living where I live. Lol.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:44 pm

what a great way to see wild life. I only see deer once in while and a couple raccoons from a trail cam.
I don't feed them, but, thought about it.

do you get photos of any of them? I would love to see them.

Yatahee99

Postby Yatahee99 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:55 pm

I tried to upload photos, but it says they are all too large.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:49 am

Yatahee99 wrote:I tried to upload photos, but it says they are all too large.

try this link:
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=3837

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”