https://www.gofundme.com/f/my-sick-beagle-dog

could anyone post this on their Facebook, or whatever they have for media. It is for Lucy (my beagle) She is totally blind from cataracts in both eyes. She can get surgery, but, it cost $1000.00 per eye. Even if I got one eye done, it is better than nothing at all.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dog food recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14747]

Capstar

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

Capstar

Postby Yatzee » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Is it true you can safely use this for fleas on your raccoon.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Capstar

Postby pat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:43 pm

I am not sure. I really fear a lot flea preventives.

I will try and do some more research on it when get chance.
I don't use any type of flea preventive. I put coconut oil on them. seems to help.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:38 pm

I have indoor/outdoor cats and they brought fleas in. Now yatzee has them. The vet says to use revolution but, topical never works 100 percent, ever. I give the cats comfortis and it works great . Hubby looked up capstar for raccoons and the internet says it's good for squirrels and raccoons but, I don't want to experiment on either of my babies.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:12 am

Yatzee wrote:I have indoor/outdoor cats and they brought fleas in. Now yatzee has them. The vet says to use revolution but, topical never works 100 percent, ever. I give the cats comfortis and it works great . Hubby looked up capstar for raccoons and the internet says it's good for squirrels and raccoons but, I don't want to experiment on either of my babies.

not sure if you seen this:
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... gs9lnqea_e

I was surprised to see capatar on Amazon. it use to be from a vet only. when I did buy it, it cost me almost $100.00 for a couple animals.. however, I decided later not to use it, so I took it back to the vet and got a refund.

A friend of mine had a cat, he put a flea collar on his cat (bought from Walmart) :roll: Needless to say, the cat died a few days later.
I told him to NEVER buy any flea preventive over the counter, especially Walmart.

I also have indoor/outdoor cats. I have not treated them with anything. However, I have guineas outside, they eat ticks and fleas.
not sure if that helped with fleas.

I agree with you about using something if you are not sure.

I just found this, not sure how effective it is.
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/search/fl ... ed%20Broad

also, here is a post about flea meds:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=14599

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:47 pm

I think I'll stick to what I now is safe. Comfortis works well with the cats and the Revolution will work ok as long as I keep the cat fleas under control.
The Revolution stains Yatzee's fur. ☹️ Which, I hate and I have to be careful not to touch the area which super sucks because he hangs out in bed with us all the time. icon_confused.gif
I hate fleas. They are so useless! Hahahaa
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:31 am

Yatzee wrote:I think I'll stick to what I now is safe. Comfortis works well with the cats and the Revolution will work ok as long as I keep the cat fleas under control.
The Revolution stains Yatzee's fur. ☹️ Which, I hate and I have to be careful not to touch the area which super sucks because he hangs out in bed with us all the time. icon_confused.gif
I hate fleas. They are so useless! Hahahaa

that is strange the revolution stains Yatzee's fur. this is the first I ever heard that happening.
do you apply directly on the skin?

if what you have works, that is great, I too would stick with it. I did use Revolution before, I trust that one.

I too hate fleas, they are so hard to get rid of.
long time ago, my husband (BF at the time) brought his cat and kittens with him to my apartment.
they were so flea infested, it was horrible. I didn't know it was that bad. I used a flea bomb. that didn't work.
I tried everything to get rid of the fleas. no luck. I said, the hell with it, I am moving.
it was so bad when I had my cloths in my car, the fleas were still on some of them. :roll:
Needless to say, the landlord was not too happy. he charge me over $300.00 for cleanup.
I chalk it up as lesson learned the hard and expensive way.

now, I try and be careful with fleas and ticks. ticks are horrible and can be deadly. I don't have carpets either, seems fleas like carpets,
so do raccoons and foxes if they want in another room with a closed door.

so far with my guineas all seems to be OK. actually, I bought a safe flea spray for outdoors, really didn't need to use it after the guineas
took care of them. I got the guineas at an auction in Ohio. I started off with 4. then to be extra safe, I end up with 12 now.
I will probably get more in the spring. I have about 6 acres, so it is hard to keep up with.

DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:56 pm

My experience with Capstar?? Stay the heck away from it!!!!!

A friend of mine had a bad year with fleas on her dogs & cats, and she and her vet dosed all of them with the recommended dosage in one day (at the time, she had 4 dogs and 20+ cats <rescues, not by choice!!>). Within minutes, the fleas were falling off of the animals, dead. Several years later, many of those cats began to die from mysterious deaths in a very short amount of time. They would gradually lose weight and appear gaunt before dying. She finally had a necropsy done on one of them. The vet who had recommended the Capstar did the necropsy. He found that all of the internal organs had basically mummified. The only thing the vet could attribute these odd deaths to was the Capstar. Now he doesn't recommend using it without warning pet owners of this finding.

Coincidence? I think not.

I try really hard to stay away from these topical chemicals for my pets. If it's killing the fleas, don't you think it's (slowly) killing your animal, too??
Try diatomaceous earth. FOOD GRADE. Can be bought at natural food stores, among others. Dust your animals with that, and it should - in time - kill the fleas. You can research how it works here:
http://www.absorbentproductsltd.com/diatomaceous-earth-for-fleas.html
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:41 am

Revolution has worked 100% for me. Could not get rid of them even with Frontline and natural stuff. The fennec turned out to be allergic to fleas so I had to do something and got revolution. Had to use it diligently for many months for some to not show up once the month was up but now never see any and can take a break in the winter.

@Dana, sounds like it might have been a colostridium infection. We had a deer die from that her insides had hardened up like cement. The cat being rescues may have had FLV/FLP and had a high susceptibility to infection.

The common issue, if one occurs, with any flea med is seizures and neurological issues.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:29 am

@Dana, sounds like it might have been a colostridium infection. We had a deer die from that her insides had hardened up like cement. The cat being rescues may have had FLV/FLP and had a high susceptibility to infection.

Sometimes that may be the case, but whenever my friend took in strays, she always had them tested for everything before allowing them into her general population, and none of these cats tested positive for FLV/FLP (or any other infectious diseases). Over the years, there was only one cat who did test positive for FLV/FLP, and she kept that cat isolated from the others, even though the others were vaccinated against that disease.

As far as C diff, none of the cats showed any signs of that, either.

I don't know what the answer is, but personally, I will ONLY use these topical/oral chemicals on my animals when absolutely nothing else works. Just recently, we did have to dose our dogs, but it scared the crap outta me to do it. But at least it was once and done. One treatment seemed to take care of things. It really saddens me that vets continue to urge pet owners to use this stuff monthly. All it's doing is temporarily working - until the fleas build up a resistance, become even more resistant to future flea control meds. These pests didn't survive through time because they were wimpy and delicate. Nature has a way of protecting species - even if we, as humans, try our best to eradicate them.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:46 am

It really saddens me that vets continue to urge pet owners to use this stuff monthly. All it's doing is temporarily working - until the fleas build up a resistance, become even more resistant to future flea control meds. These pests didn't survive through time because they were wimpy and delicate. Nature has a way of protecting species - even if we, as humans, try our best to eradicate them.

I too get annoyed when vets push what they have for food, and flea meds. I could be wrong, but I believe some or all vets get flea meds and dog food at low price. for this reason, some vets will peddle this crap to make more money. :shrug:

does anyone think some flea meds or, foods could cause cancer and compromise their immune system in animals?
I had a couple dogs die of cancer. one 5 year old dog died from auto immune disease . the food was bought from the vets for one of my dogs. the flea meds were bought from the vet for all my dogs . can't remember which one it was.

the food I fed my 5 year old dog, was science diet dog food from the vets. After calling the vets and bitching about the food. they finally admitted it could have been the dog food that killed my dog. :twisted:

It was not a pretty site prior to me taking my sick dog to the vets. she hemorrhaged all over the place before I took her to the vet..

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:44 pm

I do apply the Revolution to the skin but, it still gets his fur wet. Nice brown spot on the back of his neck.

When fleas get really bad I Borax the rugs. Sprinkle it down and vacuum 24 hours later.

I'm sure a lot of these flea and tick medications cause harm. I try not to use them if I don't have to.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Yatzee wrote:I do apply the Revolution to the skin but, it still gets his fur wet. Nice brown spot on the back of his neck.

When fleas get really bad I Borax the rugs. Sprinkle it down and vacuum 24 hours later.

I'm sure a lot of these flea and tick medications cause harm. I try not to use them if I don't have to.

I understand. it is just hard to predict what to use and what not to uses :shrug:
I would think to use it only when they have fleas.

I think there is flea spray for the house. not even sure if I would trust that either.
geez, such little pests can cause problems in our animals.

Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:00 am

I used this a couple of yrs ago when I had the same problem, cat bringing fleas in and getting over run. If I recall correctly, I used it a couple of days in a row and after that once every so many days. It worked and so far I haven't seen any effects from it. I just used it for a couple of months until the flea problem finally was under control. I used salt on the carpet and rugs also. I put it in peanut butter between 2 cookies and they were no problem to dose.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:34 am

Trefoil wrote:I used this a couple of yrs ago when I had the same problem, cat bringing fleas in and getting over run. If I recall correctly, I used it a couple of days in a row and after that once every so many days. It worked and so far I haven't seen any effects from it. I just used it for a couple of months until the flea problem finally was under control. I used salt on the carpet and rugs also. I put it in peanut butter between 2 cookies and they were no problem to dose.

for some reason, cats seem to be worse with getting fleas. never heard of salt on carpet. if it works, that is great. I don't have carpets.
took them all up years ago cause my first raccoon "Larry" would dig at the carpet to in the kitchen door. :roll:

when I had Lucy my beagle to vets, they said she had fleas. I combed her with a flea comb. I didn't see any in the comb. I put coconut oil on her.
I didn't get a chance to check my racoons for fleas. I don't think they have any. my foxes would sometimes groom my raccoons. so maybe they picked out fleas :shrug:

I checked my cats for fleas, and I didn't see any. :shrug:

I found some revolution, I will put that one my little darlings. I am not sure if guineas will eat fleas, I know they love ticks.

thank you sharing the salt info. I can put some on the dog, cat and raccoons beds.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”