PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

Dry shampoo

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

Dry shampoo

Postby Yatzee » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Can you use dry shampoo on a raccoon safely?
Yatzee likes to play in water and get wet but not so much for a bath.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dry shampoo

Postby pat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:51 am

I would think dry shampoo is safe.how does that rinse off? I never used dry shampoo.

if Yatzee likes water, why can't use shampoo on her in the water. then put her in a rinse pan?
most raccoons love water.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:56 am

He likes to play in the water but he doesn't like to be drenched in it.
I don't know how dry shampoo works either. I'm going to look it up.
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:08 am

Seems it's for oily hair. Well, Yatzee doesn't have that so, no need for that. Lol
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:09 am

what if you put Yatezz in a shallow water? How about a shower with low water pressure? can you give Yatezz a sponge bath?

I have a shower stale that has a removable shower head. (which means I can take if off the top and put it where I want too. (in the shower stall of course :lol: )

one of my raccoons I had long time ago, use to love to come in the shower with me. I shampooed him in the shower.
however, guess the shower was not enough for him, he would play in the the toilet then drop stuff in there. one time I found a light bulb in the toliet :roll:

For Yatezz, I don't know what other methods you can use. if I can think of anything, I will let you know. hopefully, the other members will chime in.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:55 pm

You can use baking soda in place of dry shampoo. Take a handful, rub it in the fur, then take a comb and comb the excess out. I did it with my cat when she urinated on herself in her crate. Took the smell out of her fur. She groomed the rest off.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
hecate
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hecate » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:01 pm

I asked a friend who's a professional groomer, wildlife rehabber, and longtime pet raccoon owner about bathing raccoons.

0429130814a.jpg

She says she's never had to bathe a raccoon or had any of theirs get into anything that would require washing to remove.

Scully has had tree sap get on her fur a couple of times. I brushed and combed out what I could and then hot-toweled the rest. You soak a terry washcloth in hot water, wring it out thoroughly, and then rub the warm. moist cloth over the soiled area. She's a bobcat, not a raccoon, so I don't know how well the technique would carry over. We hot-towel horses after body clipping, or to spot-clean them in cold weather.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:17 pm

I would not use dry shampoo because it's left in, aside from a brushing after application,and he might ingest it grooming himself.

I, like, hecate, don't bath my animals unless needed.

For Aurora, I sometimes use Sensi-care or Aloe-vesta. One is a body wash/shampoo that is no rinse and the other is a no rinse skin cleanser. I apply it and then do try to do a light "rinse" by wiping with a wet cloth. They are made for humans but very gentle on the skin and work pretty well. Sometimes she needs a real bath but it is super stressful for her so try to limit that, but anteaters excrete a skin film and she doesn't bath herself like Pua did, plus she wets the bed which can leave her underside icky.

My fennec has only ever had spot cleaning and Beaker has been the same. He has no under coat and seems to have no oils. A tiny splash of water or some rain and he's soaked clean through. My past dogs got bathed about bi-annually as needed(so occasionally more).
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:24 pm

I bathe Emo and Conte (the dogs) as needed also, probably every 6-8 months or so, especially now that they're older and they're not as inclined to groom themselves as much. The baking soda would probably be fine to use in a pinch as I used it on the cat with no issues. Wet washcloth would probably work too but wouldn't remove any odors, if there are any.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:25 pm

Chloe occasionally gets in the shower with me but aside from that I've never bathed her or Scooter. Unless Chloe has recently gotten into my perfume ( she loves scents) they just smell like warm coon so haven't really needed a bath. I did bathe Chloe when she was little and on the bottle and also when she needed help to go when she was really little.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:22 pm

I don't understand the need for bathing a raccoon, for the most part. Most raccoons have very low odor, and keep themselves extremely clean. I once had to bathe a raccoon baby that got into my husband's car oil drip pan :roll: and I used Dawn and warm water for that, but other than that, I've never bathed any of my raccoons.

I would think a warm, damp washcloth would work best for a raccoon who doesn't care for baths, if you feel yours is truly in need of dirt/smell removal. Then follow with a toweling off to remove the dampness from his fur.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:48 am

I purchased some baby wipes. Every morning I wipe him down while we play. His booty hole needs cleaning once a week. The wipes work well and leaves him smelling good

When he plays with the prairie dog he ends up stinking like him. The wipes work better on the raccoon than they do on the prairie dog.

I bought a metal pet brush the other day. I was using just a regular hair brush but, it wasn't getting deep into his fur on the backs of his hind legs or base of his tail. He was developing mats. Now that I'm reaching through with the new brush, clumps are coming out and now he has bald spots. *Sad face* It took months for his fur to grow back from being neutered now, he's going to have his butt cheeks showing for a while.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 am

Baby wipes! Brilliant! icon-smile

I use a dog 'undercoat rake' for spring shed grooming on my raccoons. (It works awesome on shedding horses, too!!) The rake seems to get down to the skin better to gently pull fur out at the base. For larger mats, though, I probably wouldn't use it because it would pull too much and cause discomfort or pain. Coconut oil will help to remove mats. It softens up the mat and makes the fur 'slippery' so that the mats come apart easier. Added bonus: Most raccoons like the taste of it, so if you put it on mats, it may add incentive for them to groom those areas themselves.

Prairie dogs: What type of scent do they have??
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:52 am

Yatzee is to pudgy to reach those areas, hahahahaha. He does try tho.
Watson gives of a strong musky smell. It's hard to explain. When there's a light sent of it it almost smells Woody. When he is heavy sending like, he makes himself sticky, it is appalling. I used to give him scented kitty litter to roll around in and it tamed the smell but, if he was wet the litter would clumps on to him. No good. Maybe I'll try fresh step non clumping next.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:06 am

Oh, if prairie dogs smell like that, I would probably love the scent. I love the musky smell of ferrets and groundhogs. Is is similar to that??

My bubs are pudgy, too, and have trouble reaching certain parts of their bodies for proper grooming, too. Maybe Watson would like the taste of the coconut oil and would groom Yatzee??

Maybe try the pine pellet litter for Watson to roll in? (Provided prairie dogs aren't allergic to pine oil) I've been tempted to use the litter pellets in my raccoons' litter boxes, but I'm terrified they may ingest them and become impacted. I can't imagine the pine pellets would taste very good, but you know raccoons - they've got such a propensity to put stuff in their mouths. They probably wouldn't ingest them, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.
Dana

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”