PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

Dry shampoo

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

Re: Dry shampoo

Postby Yatzee » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:35 pm

They are like groundhogs, I wonder if they do smell similar. I've never smelled a groundhog. They are cute though and big!!
I've been ruffling through Yatzee's fur where the mats are. They are like little bee bee's. Some of them just pull out. I almost have all of it gone. I'm glad I switched brushes. Those are 9 month old mats.
I'm going to do some research on the pine pellets. I know when I had rats pine wasn't recommended. He chews on pieces of the clay litter no doubt he would chew on the pine pellets. Yatzee also gets free run of the house so, I know he would get into it also. I have 4 cats also and have to consider cost as well.
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:39 pm

Well, that mystery is solved. Hahahahaha

Avoid cedar, aromatic pine and certain other wood shavings, because they contain resins that can be irritating to your prairie dog's skin, eyes, and mucous membranes.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:51 pm

That comes as no surprise - that's why I mentioned it. :icon-wink:

FYI - Cedar chips/cedar oil should be avoided with raccoons, too. I seem to recall prolonged or high exposure to it can cause kidney (?? or some other organ ??) damage.

Pretty sure the BB-sized mat balls you're talking about are Yatzee's baby fur. I think you'll find going forward that the fur of an adult is different and any mats will be different as well.

A thought on what you could give Watson could roll in: Any chance you could occasionally offer him a large box with sand or just plain ol' dirt? I know my horses absolutely love a dry, sandy or talc-y type of dirt to roll in, and take full advantage of it whenever it's available. I can see how that may be problematic with an indoor animal, but if only offered occasionally, you may be able to offer it in a controlled environment so you can contain the situation and keep it from making YOUR living quarters dirty. :shrug:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:43 pm

Yeah, now that you mention it, his fur is different. I'm really glad he likes being brushed. I try to brush him everyday. Not overly but, just to remove any she'd or litter he may have in his fur.

I actually started putting Watson in the outside cage I use to let squirrels go. I fill a litter box with sand and dirt and leaves and such. He likes it and the mess stays outside. It doesn't seem to do much for his smell though but, it gives him the fun time in the dirt and the vitamin D from the sun.

I think I'm going to give fresh step a try in the house.
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Cedar is bad for squirrels and I've never seen anyone like pine for any animal, even for dogs.

When I had my pet rats and for the baby squirrels I rescue I use rabbit food for substrate. It's less dusty and absorbs well.

It's 50lbs for 10$. Hmm, maybe I should give that a try!! I'm curious if the cats would use the litter boxes then. They go outside too so, I'm not worried about them messing somewhere else in the house. My blind cat however, he Mark's all over. I'm convince it's so he know where stuff is so he doesn't run into it.

I moved the outside cage in the grass for Watson the other day. Well, Bentley ran right into it, the poor thing tripped and didn't know what he was doing. After he gained his barings he started marking the grass around the cage. So smart.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”