https://www.gofundme.com/f/my-sick-beagle-dog

could anyone post this on their Facebook, or whatever they have for media
It is for Lucy (my beagle) she has some serious health issues.
=======================================

Dog food recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14747

Upper respiratory infection

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

Upper respiratory infection

Postby Yatzee » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:40 pm

I have 2 cats that have an upper respiratory infection. I have them on medication, started yesterday. Can raccoons catch that from cats?

I have them separated from Yatzee, but hubby is concerned.
Trefoil

Re: Upper respiratory infection

Postby Trefoil » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:01 am

Don't know for sure, but they are susceptible to distemper- which kills. I also would be concerned
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:41 pm

According to a raccoon rehabilitator that I know, YES, absolutely the URI can cross species to your raccoon. As a precaution, can you possibly get the same meds from your vet and administer to your raccoon concurrent with your cats, as a prophylactic? Not sure that just separating him from your cats is enough, especially if he was in the cats' company as they were incubating the illness. Waiting on answer back from my raccoon expert on that as well. Will let you know ASAP!
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:44 pm

Raccoon rehabber is in agreement that if your raccoon was exposed to the cats prior to their URI, it wouldn't hurt to admin same antibiotics to your raccoon as a safety measure, if you're able to get the meds from your vet and administer them easily to your raccoon.

Tip: if liquid antibiotics, mixing them in with the marshmallow creme you can buy in a jar or tub works very well for them to accept ingesting with little to no refusal. :icon-wink:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:47 pm

Peanut butter also works
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:21 pm

I think I got to it before anything happened. I've had a cat show up after being gone for 6 months! I saw his eyes were watery and started him on antibiotics right away.
I've kept the cats outside. I've still been sparaying the house with lysol. So fat, Yatzee has been ok. No signs of infection and the cat is better. I'm still keeping him outside though. Just for another week.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:08 am

sorry to hear Yatzee was sick icon-sad I can relate to how you feel.

as for antibotics, I know the pills are a bit difficult to give to a raccoon. there is liquid antibotics that is easier to administer.
I use to give antibotics to one of my raccoons and one of my foxes. I would use the liquid (from the vet) and use a syringe then squirt it in the side of their mouth with their head tilted back a little.

keep us updated.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:27 am

Oh no. He isn't sick. My cats have been playing musical upper respiratory. I have been keeping them outside because of it. My son keeps letting his favorite cat in and I was wondering if a raccoon could catch this from a cat
So far so good.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:05 pm

Yatzee wrote:Oh no. He isn't sick. My cats have been playing musical upper respiratory. I have been keeping them outside because of it. My son keeps letting his favorite cat in and I was wondering if a raccoon could catch this from a cat
So far so good.

sorry for misunderstanding. not sure if your raccoon can catch a upper respiratory. did you take your cats to the vets?
I would think there is some meds for your cats that would help.

I hope your cats get better soon. it is heartbreaking when our babies are sick. icon-sad
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:47 am

Yeah, I took one. Thankfully they didn't want to charge me to see the others. Everyone seems to be a lot better.

I find myself worrying a lot over Yatzee. Sometimes I just want to keep him in a glass case so nothing can get to him lol.

I hate dealing with upper respiratory. It spreads so quickly. Thankfully, I kept everyone outside while they were sick.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”