ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Coatis?

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

illida

Coatis?

Postby illida » Fri May 27, 2011 4:32 pm

ok I don't have one but they look like a good fit for my family so i have several questions:
1 what do they eat? (insectivore carnivore etc.?)
2 are they good with cats?
3 are they legal in new york i can't find the answer anywhere?
4 do they need a big yard?
also if you own one I want to know everything good and bad,stories, personalities pictures etc. :lol: thank you everyone :mrgreen:
I currently own three kitties Corwin(8 months), Brophy(8 months), and Talouse (10 years) :)
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Coatis?

Postby sarajeku » Fri May 27, 2011 5:28 pm

I don't own one, but I've worked with one. She isn't very socialized though. Or maybe she was, and the change from a home environment to a wildlife refuge made her aggressive, I don't know. She is very bitey and gets into everything. If cords are left within her reach, she chews them in half. We have to be careful when feeding her or she will bite us. She is one of our "no contact" animals. We have to lock her out in order to feed her, clean her cage, etc. She attacked a guy trying to mow the grass in her enclosure.
She eats fruits and vegetables (and something else. I've only fed her a couple of times, so I'm not 100% sure. I usually work with the carnivores).
Her enclosure is fairly large, but I wouldn't suggest letting yours outside unless you have a special enclosure for it.
BB

Postby BB » Fri May 27, 2011 5:52 pm

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5402
Have a look in the Little Critters and pocket pets section, you might have to go back a few pages, I remember there where a few facts about them
illida

Postby illida » Fri May 27, 2011 8:04 pm

ok thanks everyone no coati for me then :lol:
I currently own three kitties Corwin(8 months), Brophy(8 months), and Talouse (10 years) :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 27, 2011 10:28 pm

I've read they can get pretty feisty and mischeivous after six months and that they are a lot worse than bad raccoons behavior-wise. Not saying they aren't good pets--just that it sounds like they're more work. I think they would be difficult to keep inside especially, but an outdoor enclosure would make it easy to keep once. Lots of people who get coatis give them up once they mature and have the tendency to get into trouble.

I really like them too though! I think they would be very interesting to watch! They have funny faces! :mrgreen:
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 27, 2011 11:41 pm

I've said similar to the answers on the thread linked when people have asked before. I know many people with them and they tend to love them but they have some really big drawbacks as stated. They can be loving pets but even all grown up they can be dangerous. You need to understand them and work around their faults.

Like certain noises trigger them to attack no matter how much they love you, like if you jingle some keys around them. This is a VERY common coati trait.

If they ever take something and they shouldn't have it you need to offer a trade of something fantastically better because because if you try to take something that is theirs(anything they have is theirs) it wont be pretty.

Knowing their ways and personality I'd not trust them with the cats.

On a rare occasion you get one that is an angel but it is rare and you wont know till you have it and it's grown up.

This is one exotic where you really need to expect the worst and not get one if your not prepared to deal with that worst.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”