ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Potential Future Coon owner

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Amy09

Re: Potential Future Coon owner

Postby Amy09 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:31 pm

I thought it was really weird to say the least, and makes me wary of buying a raccoon from them if they have such erroneous information on their website. I've got plenty of time to look around and pick and choose.

I had always thought seafood would be a treat for them, and could be a pacifier if they were upset about something (or a peace offering). Since Stanley and the coons at Wolf Run seem to be alright then I'm going to side with the majority.

I have been wondering if there's much of a temperament difference between males and females. I know if they're not spayed/neutered then they all get temperamental around breeding season. But if they're both fixed is there really a noticeable difference in the way they behave? Also read, on Remo Raccoon's, that they like to mark the edges of their territory with scat. Does anyone have problems with this? and would getting them fixed lessen/prevent this behavior?
Mommy to two dogs and three cats
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:10 pm

It might be their experience. If they gave it to their breeders and they hadn't had it before they could have gotten aggressive over the rare treats but then they could do that over anything special.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:55 pm

I'm a new coon owner but I have a few things I could pitch in with. First of all, I definitely recommend finding a good reputable breeder who pulls the babies and hand raises them (aka rather than some kind of fur breeder that does not hand raise which is what the breeder I got my coon from was like). I don't know what a hand raised coon is like but I know what a, um...coon raised coon is like and I have reason to suspect that it does make a difference. My coon might just be gifted with a very fiesty personality, but I do believe that he would have benefited from being hand raised. Prepare for a novel here. My Alex was 6 weeks old from a fur breeder. Pulled from the mother when I came to pick him up. He squirmed, snarled, lunged, etc and was generally of course very fearful of humans. He came around within a couple of days and is of course a very different coon today. He is about 12 weeks old now I believe. He finds great joy in coming to visit me just to gnaw on my fingers, but I still adore him.

Like others said, I would get the cat long before the coon or not get the cat at all. Alex is a rough player and best off playing with my dog (10 pound Pomeranian, who will be small in comparison to Alex someday). The cats do not like him and swat at him, which causes him to not like them in return. He gets along well with those who are not aggressive with him in the first place (dog, skunk, and ferrets). I think if you give your cat a chance to grow up and live a life being the only pet or the dominant pet, he or she could easily establish oneself as the dominant one between himself/herself and the coon. It will also help as the cat will be full grown and larger than the coon (for a while).

As for Tiny Tracks, I don't know anything about them but I personally think their website is very unprofessional looking. The grammar is weird in areas and there is awkward capitalization throughout the site. I go to the home page and in a block of text you see "WE ARE ACCEPTING DEPOSITS FOR" and right under that, "HOURS:" then something about animals misplaced right underneath that. If you keep reading, you'll find the hours listing where it shouldn't be. Maybe I'm just picky about that sort of thing. Also, you might prefer someone who hobby breeds just a litter or two of coons a year compared to someone who breeds many litters of different species of animals. My thinking in that is that it will allow them to spend more time with your future kit instead of having to carefully distribute all of their time among so many animals that all need their individual attention. As far as the information Tiny Tracks gives about coons, it matches up with most everything I've read about them. However, I don't usually see Esbilac recommended for coons. Normally KMR with high fat content is what is recommended. I also don't know about the sea food thing.

Anyway, good luck to you. I would keep searching for as much information as you can (in my opinion, there is not enough on coons and what is available seems to be awkwardly distributed throughout the internet instead of one fully dedicated website like Skunkhaven.net for skunks), ask others where they got their coons, talk to breeders, and when you do decide on one, put down a deposit when you're getting close to being ready and get your baby in the spring. I would try and find a breeder that will allow you to pick one from a litter. I didn't get that opportunity and I wish that I had.

Also, child proof locks = awesome. My coon pooped in a "$60 pasta pot" (my father's words, not mine) in a kitchen cabinet. After that, I purchased some inexpensive (here in Iowa at WalMart, it was I think like $4 or less for a pack of two) child-proof locks and they have worked like a charm. They are difficult for humans to open and I can't imagine the coon ever managing. You have to push on two parts of the lock while also managing to pull (ouch on the fingers) the two sections apart to access the cabinet. Go through your house and imagine you're a child that can practically climb walls to see what your coon might get into. Lock away valuables and keep the key. Throw out poisons and traps. Lock up cleaners in high up cabinets with the best child proof locks you can get. You may want to lay down quality carpet runners or sheets of plexiglass by doors to protect carpet. My coon does not yet dig at carpet much, but it has occurred. It's mostly the skunk that does that. He climbs into the ceiling in a couple of open rooms in our house as well as enjoys putting things in the toilet. I found candy in the toilet one morning (still not sure how that happened). He likes to chew wires, and there's not much of anything you can do to fight that so might as well lock up everything with wires. They can open refrigerators and operate ice machines that some fridges have. I would follow about anything on Remo's site. Unfortunately, I don't think whoever owns it maintains it anymore as the date last updated was years ago and I've emailed them with no response. Thankfully, Sybil's Den is around and support from other coon owners is readily available here :)

Sorry for my novel. I tend to write long, unorganized posts.
Amy09

Postby Amy09 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:22 pm

No apology necessary! I appreciate you taking the time to share all of your information with me! You have a lot of good suggestions that I'll add to my slowly growing pool of raccoon related knowledge.

I too noticed the weird spelling and unprofessional formatting on the Tiny Tracks website, I had only looked at it because I'd seen it mentioned somewhere before and was hoping they might be what I was looking for.

I've been having a mildly difficult time finding actual breeders. I've been thinking of looking in some exotics classifieds online. Most of the listings I've seen though have been from people on the east coast who aren't willing to ship. I can manage a short road trip to most of Oregon's adjacent states (and maybe a little bit farther) but too much longer and I'm not sure, since it would mean my husband having to take time off work.

And for some exciting news; the bank has officially pre-approved us for a home loan and our realtor has already made plans for us to head out and start looking at houses tomorrow. So hopefully things will continue to move quickly and I'll have a home of my own soon.
Trefoil

I had forgotten about the ice cube dispenser

Postby Trefoil » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:50 pm

They also remove the rubber push button covers off flashlights,kindles, and ice dispensers and Chloe took all the number keys off my safe and two of my keyboards. Thankfully, they do outgrow a lot of the mischief. Keep your closet doors closed if you value anything in it.
Amy09

Postby Amy09 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Going to probably have to invest in some sort of cupboard or entertainment center with doors, that I can close so all the electronics can be safely put away. We've got quite a few electronics and things with cords. Behind the television is a mess of cables right now and I can only imagine that ending badly if we were to bring a raccoon home now.

I'm figuring there's going to be at least a couple hundred dollars worth of things to buy to prepare before we're even ready to actually make a deposit on a kit. I'll have to make an actual comprehensive list a some point in order to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.
Trefoil

Its not as bad as it sounds

Postby Trefoil » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Its like childproofing- up to the ceiling. After I figured out why the floor in from of my refrig was always wet, I turned the ice-maker off for a while until she gave up.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:03 pm

If you're not 100% certain that you can legally keep a raccoon as a pet in your state, I would double check and call the DNR and the department of agriculture for your state.

I suppose spelling and grammar isn't everything and isn't related to a person's skills in breeding animals. I know a lot of people here get their foxes from Tiny Tracks and there are probably a lot of people here willing to provide testimonials on the breeder. You have a while to pick one out considering they won't be available until the spring. It's so important to get a young kit (just weeks old and still being bottle fed). You may be able to find slightly older ones still available at this time of year if you didn't want to wait until next year. If you decide to go that route, definitely get one that the breeder has been hand raising. You can find breeder listings on Exoticanimalsforsale.net and some list on Hoobly. There is a breeder here in Iowa that has coons, skunks, and foxes. Their breeder name is Critter Haven Exotics. I think they're smaller scale. I don't know much of anything about them, but I've seen a couple of good testimonials for them. There is a short thread about them somewhere on this forum. I found someone's blog who bought a skunk kit from them as well, and they were happy with them. You can get them at swap meets/auctions as well. I can't remember if Even Keel Exotics ever has coons or not, but it could be worth looking into. I think they may get theirs from other breeders so they're more of a broker, but I may be wrong about that. I personally would check out Hoobly as it seems to have good valid listings on there during the right season. I know Critter Haven Exotics lists on there as well as Even Keel.

Congratulations on the pre-approval for the loan! That is really exciting. I hope you find some good houses to choose from. I can't wait to have my own house someday as well. I'm too young and too broke at this time.
Amy09

Postby Amy09 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Oregon's laws about coons and skunks are weird. It is legal but you can't buy or sell them within the state. So I can buy one and import it from another state, just not this one. So yeah, pretty weird. I'm going to call the Oregon DFW eventually and double check, but I'm fairly sure about it. TamanduaGirl lives in Oregon as well and she was the one that helped clarify Oregon's exotics laws for me a bit.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll check out those breeders and sites you mentioned and see what I can find. I have plenty of time, and I'm not even sure if I'll be completely ready by this upcoming spring so it may not be until the spring after.

Oh and thank you for the congratulations. Our realtor has already got us going out to see two houses this afternoon and they're even in the area I wanted to live in, so needless to say I'm pretty excited.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:02 pm

I agree, weird laws. Iowa allows skunks and coons but I can't have a 4 pound Fennec Fox because they are "dangerous" but raccoons are apparently not. Well, I guess I'm thankful I can have my skunk and coon without trouble (aka permits). It is best to double check just in case but I'd say if TamanduaGirl told you about it, you're probably in the clear. She seems to know her stuff (assuming she is female, anyway) as she clarified Iowa's laws on foxes for me and gave me information about acquiring a license to own one.

If you have a couple years, that will give you plenty of time to find the best breeder for you and put down a deposit. There are probably some breeders that have quite the waiting lists, though maybe not for coons as they're not as popular as some other exotic species.

I would also call the city hall of the city you plan to be living in (assuming you're going to be in city limits - I don't think it will apply otherwise but I'd double check on that one) as well as the county and make sure raccoons purchased from licensed breeders are legal in each. I hope those won't give you any trouble as they did for me. Darn laws, why must they be so complicated?! Anyway, hopefully you find a good new home for yourself and your family!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:17 pm

I try my best but I don't want anyone to rely solely on my word. I just interpreted the law for Iowa as I saw it written. Maybe call the person back that told you to look at that law and ask if you are interpreting it right just to be safe.

When we moved here I called the city to double check. The law said any animal living with people was considered domestic. They said yep that means I can have anything long as I follow state and county laws first.

I'm in Oregon but things can change at anytime. Texas is a prime example. They didn't even change the law they just up and interpreted it differently and suddenly everyone's exotic foxes were illegal. I don't think that's legal so who has the money to challenge it?

I'll provide any info I can but I'm no legal authority to be relied upon. You sound smart enough not to but just saying.

As for USDA since I have that I'm pretty good to help there.
Amy09

Postby Amy09 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:30 pm

I do appreciate the advice and such everyone's been giving me. Been kinda busy lately. We're making an offer on a house in a small town in a rural area. It's not far from my parents' farm and still close enough to the city so my husband won't have a terrible commute for work. It has a nicely size yard that's going to need some work, but it'll be cute when I'm done with it.

I'll have to check with the city and see if they have any special laws about raccoons and exotics in general. I imagine it must've come up before since I know for a fact that there are coons in the woods around here. I also heard of some people who were living a few miles up the road who had some sort of private zoo. It was a few years back before the exotics laws were changed. I never saw it, just heard rumors, but it makes me think the local area probably will have laws concerning exotics. So I'll have to check and see what's what.
cjb777

Postby cjb777 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:57 am

Just a few things we have learned since adopting Kato, our 1 1/2 year old "domestic " 30 pound raccoon.

1. the best description to give a new potential parent... Kitten monkey-slash-/Tasmanian dust devil/ and YES correct.... eternal toddler ).

2. You can take him for a walk, if you can find a place to put the collar...

3. Very simple to litter train, but might not always be the box you wanted it in, so be careful what you leave on the floor that resembles one. (ex;; laundry basket, box of electronics)

4. As you may be able to tell from my typing, all the computer keys are not there. Get a keyboard that rolls up and stows away..

5. The best and only coon-proof lock for cabinets is the large plastic orange cable clamps from home depot. (very attractive,, so you might want to decorate your new kitchen in orange)

6. Peanut butter cookies are a necessity

7. An open stairway with a banister can provide hours of fun and entertaining videos.

8. Get a large spill-proof dog dish, flip it over, and fill the underside with concrete. This is now a 40 pound water dish and will slow the process of flipping it over as soon as you fill it. If you also have dogs, they will eventually get used to drinking the peanut butter flavored bath water, or get there early.

9. Every door that you close and lock, will be the most desired place for your coon to be. He will not give up easy, Mystery free is the way to be. exception~(The refrigerator requires 2 strips of clear packing tape strapped to the door. Turn the edge under so that you can get in and out easy, and replace the tape daily. If you dont stick it down each time, he will know instantly... even if he's sleeping! ( bonus tip... eggs leave a lustrous shine on vinyl floors).

10. Even tho he will be the biggest pain in the butt you have ever had, you will love him unconditionally. Now matter how many hundreds of dollars in damages occur, you wouldnt trade him for the world. You will want to show him off to the world, tell endless stories, and take millions of pictures. People will think he's adorable, but no matter how bad you want to take him along when you visit family, he will never be welcome. icon_biggin.gif
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:16 am

CBJ - Your post made my morning. I had to laugh as I "recognized" your points. P.S. straight peanut butter works too.
BB

Postby BB » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:03 pm

That is truly a lovely post! I envy you....ah, hang on.... - no I don't!! :mrgreen:

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”