ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

When do Wild Coons Leave their Mother?

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: When do Wild Coons Leave their Mother?

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:31 pm

"And Ash, we recently had a problem with that. Someone needed to bring a raccoon from ohio and couldn't bring him across the state line. Fortunately, a closer rehab center was able to take him."

That's good. I'm glad it all worked out so well. It's those types of situations that really get to me...

In some states if an animal is deemed unreleasable by a rehabber it has to be euthanized, even if there is a facility that would take it. I don't get that one bit.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:36 pm

At our facility, when we deem an animal unreleasable, we keep them.
cjb777

Postby cjb777 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:16 am

I'm not sure where all of you are from, as Im new on here and havent really looked at profiles, but I am in Ohio and the rehabilitation laws for coons here are non~existant.

My first baby raccoon (in my adult life) was an orphan that my son found at his workplace. It was laying in the grass with no signs of any other babies or mom around. I figure she was only a few days old, and did okay alone for the 6 plus hours that he kept watch on her undisturbed. He brought her home that evening and we warmed up a hot water bottle a made her a bed. I called a retired vet friend who gave me a recipe for formula that has worked many times over for different animals.

~ 4 ounces each of evaporated milk and water, 1 egg yolk (remove the membrane) , and a tablespoon of Karo syrup. warm it up just a little, and use a standard baby nipple.~

We followed his advice and things were going along just fine. I ended up making a sling out of a shoestring and a winter hat to hang around my neck and she stayed in there and with me almost 24/7. This was when I found out how illegal it is in Ohio to try to rehab these guys. People would freak out when they found out what was in my "pouch". I called a few places, .. natures nursery, the zoo, etc.. They were all eager to come and get her to have her euthanized, and told me I was breaking the law. I tried several vets to get her rabies shots etc.. and got the same results. Nobody is willing to help.

If you take one from the wild, be prepared to care for it and be prepared for it to live near you for its entire life, even if you release it when its old enough. They wont stay dependent on you, but they also wont be afraid of people, so you cant release in a park or something because some wildlife ranger will think its sick because its wandering around where the people are. They will take it and have it euthanized.
I now know others who will take them in and rehab them, but they are not, by far, a licensed facility. They are only kind hearted people who are looking out for the best interest of the animal. Shame on us all for caring!

Even now, since adopting my current resident coon from a breeder, and obtaining all the permits and licensing to have him, I am given a hard time when trying to get him vet care. My vet was all for taking him as a patient when I asked before we adopted him. Then when it came time for him to be treated, the vet found out how frequently the laws change, and was given the same grief from vaccine companies, the keeper at the zoo (whom he called to ask some questions) and was told not to give my coon any well~care visits or he could loose his license. Then when I called the breeder to find out about shots, I was told to go to the farm supply store and purchase a 5 in 1 puppy vaccine and give it to him myself. (not really comfortable with this)!

My other option is to take him to Illinois for treatment, providing that I cross the state line into Michigan with him, to get a well care certificate from the vet, allowing me to cross the state line, to get him to chicago to another vet! I thank God that he is healthy and that I have found this board for questions, answers, input, and ideas!

anyway... if again you find a baby in distress, yes, make sure its an orphan, and then be ready to have an eternal toddler. You will love him. Just don't tell anybody.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”