ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Worried about my Coonie

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

the_unstable

Re: Worried about my Coonie

Postby the_unstable » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:21 pm

Thank you yet again for all of your advice. I will do my best to get the freshest sample I can. If he has worms, it'd pretty much have to be a kind that cannot be treated with pyrantel pamoate...so I guess that leaves a few options. His poop color seems to be normal and it didn't seem greasy, but that of course doesn't mean he doesn't have Giardia. I will have to research that illness some because I know absolutely nothing about it.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:04 pm

Well the visit went...um...okayish. Things were good, he was well behaved, up to the point when we walked into the vet's office. There are dogs loose behind the counter that were barking and stuff and it really scared him. We went into the exam room and the vet wanted to start out by weighing him but he was terrified. I could tell he threw off some odor from his scent glands because he was afraid. It has been a long time since he's done that (at least in my presence). He wandered around the room and hid behind myself and my boyfriend. When placed on the exam table, he just climbed down and hid some more.

The vet decided that it wasn't really going to work out so he just asked me about his appetite, stools, and activity. He said Coonie seemed clearly active, and because his stools weren't terribly unusual (just recently a bit softer), his eyes and nose were clear, and there was no coughing, vomiting, etc, that we could just try giving him a supplement to help with his appetite. He asked about Coonie's diet and he approved of it, saying it was a good staple diet but suggested we give him some of what we're eating (as long as it isn't fatty junk food and such) to give him more variety. I do give him some of my food sometimes but perhaps not enough as I should.

He said to let him know how Coonie is doing on the supplement (Nutri-Cal) and if his appetite doesn't improve or anything gets worse, he should come back in during the week and they can anesthetize him and check blood and stuff. He will have to be anesthetized because he won't let the vet get close enough to safely check him out. He also said he wanted to check the stool for parasites. I didn't bring a sample in because I didn't manage to get a fresh sample (and also forgot about it in the morning). They only charged me for the Nutri-Cal I guess because they weren't able to really examine him for an "office visit". So that was pretty awesome. He calmed down very quickly when we got to the car. He behaved very well in the car, surprisingly.

When we got home, I offered him some of the supplement and he took to it immediately, licking every bit right off of the spoon. Afterward, he ate some dog food and I offered him some banana and chicken. He only ate part of the banana. He normally likes banana, but it's usually when they're very ripe and this banana had just turned yellow and was still firm and bland, so that could be why he was not terribly interested. When offered food prior to going to the vet, he would not take it, so I was really relieved to see that he was interested in eating when he got home (and surprised considering how stressful the visit probably was for him).

Of course, I'm hoping his appetite will come back and his activity will increase. I still don't really know what would be causing his loss of appetite. Hopefully he won't have to go back, but I guess we'll see. Either way, he'll have to go back in October to be neutered.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Hmm nutrical doesn't have anything in it for appetite that I'm aware of it. It's more like giving them ensure. It's a high calorie supplement with lots of vitamins and minerals. On the other hand low blood sugar can cause lose of appetite so not eating can further cause not eating. So in that way getting the sugar into him that is in the Nutrical could help. Good to have on hand for cases like this. I'm always forgetting about it though.

Sounds like the activity of going to the vets stimulated his appetite more than the supplement. Can you walk him? Maybe if you get him really active before meals he would eat more.

You can weigh him at home by holding him and standing on the scale then weigh yourself and subtract your weight. This way you can see if he is losing weight or not.

Also for next time maybe he would be calmer if you take him in through the side door to avoid his coming to contact with dogs.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Oh also you could try giving him a probiotic.

You can also get him some b12 or B complex vitamins to give. You can get a shot from the vet if his appetite stays funky as it's best absorbed that way but you'll need to know his weight. Only like 1% of B given orally is used. But a B shot helps stimulate appetite and helps give them energy to keep going when ill.

I have a liquid b12 that has 5000mcg one percent of that would be 50mcg. The shot my vet gave me of b12 has 1000mcg per cc and my vet gave me a shot for emergencies that is .3cc so 30mcg so they might be able to get enough from the oral.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:28 pm

My memory is somewhat awful and at this point, I don't remember if he actually said that the Nutrical was to improve appetite or not. I think it was more like to help keep him going since he's not eating.

I think you're right about the trip to the vet stimulating his appetite. He seemed to be alert but content on the way there and even a bit after the visit. Even though the visit made him very anxious, he seemed to quickly recover. I had my boyfriend take him out to the car while I stayed inside to pay. When I got to the car, within a minute or two, he was acting like it had never happened. He did not seem to mind the motion or sounds of the car at all. It makes my dogs and cats very nervous. I don't have a harness for him (though I know he really should have one) so walking him would have to be a harness-less adventure. We do have the fenced in yard and he enjoys playing with the dog and exploring in it.

The weighing idea is a good one. I'm not sure how good our scale is, but I'd say it would most likely be accurate when it comes to subtracting the weight like that. I think it is off because what the scale at the doctor's office has said for me in the past was different than what our scale says.

Avoiding the dogs would be great but it wouldn't be easily done, even if there is a side door (it didn't look like it had any other entrance). The office is small and the loose dogs would still probably hear us come in and bark.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Scales normally have a way to adjust them. So if you know the weight of something you can adjust it till it reads that weight for it. It's likely on the bottom of it.

Even if not long as it's not fluctuating your weight (like if you step off then weigh again) it should work to keep an eye on if he's loosing or not from when you start weighing him.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:15 pm

I just noticed your other post about Probiotic. I'm assuming I could buy that sort of thing over the counter? The shot from the vet would be great but he won't let the vet get close enough to do it. I don't even know how they'll put him under anesthesia. I'm definitely going to keep the vitamin tips in mind. I'm sure they'll come in handy in the future, even if not for Coonie.

As for the scale tip, I'll try that out. Should he be weighed every week or so you think? Edit: Assuming he's in good health that is.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Weekly would be good for now if everything were perfect then monthly would be okay.

I was thinking about you getting it and then giving him the shot but I guess that wouldn't work since you'd want to be shown how the first time.

Yeah you can even get probiotics at the livestock store. You can get them at a health food store or pharmacy or even most groceries have them now but it's best to get one that says it had billions in it. Naturemade makes a nice one that is strawberry flavored chewables.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:09 pm

The last time I took Chloe to the vet she was so scared she climbed into my shirt, and clung- to my skin. Ouch. Coons don't seem to notice getting shots, I've never had one even acknowledge it, which is great. I don't know what you're feeding him but within reason people food works well with coons, Chloe free feeds on the dog food dish as well, which really isn't good because of weight issues.. Now to the serious. If you haven't already, vaccinate your coon against distemper, always use killed vaccines with coons, I think remo's site gives vaccine names. If he isn't feeling well, give him antibiotics, easy because of their seemingly immunity to shots. I say this because distemper,especially can kill very quickly, and the one time I had a coon get it, he responded very well to the antibiotic, both he and a friend of mine's coon recovered. (I'm not positive it was distemper, whatever it was killed a kitten of mine overnight, so the minute my coon started acting off my dad treated it.) My friends coon was an adult and it took him a little longer, but he had no long term issues from being sick. Chloe is an adult and I would not even try a rectal thermometer with her. It sounds like you need to find a vet that has experience with coons, good luck. The pictures are fabulous. If you want to weigh your coon, weigh yourself and them weigh yourself holding the coon, just subtract one from the other and you have what the coon weighs. Your vet's scale should have a tare function like Mary said. I hope this helps.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:43 pm

when I take my coons to the vet, they are put in a cat carrier. it is less stressful for them.

you can keep a carrier near them everyday, and put some treats in it. so this way,
they are somewhat familar with the carrier. if your coon is scared, put a sheet over the carrier,
and try to get him in to the exam room ASAP. this way, your coon might not be as scared.

I had larry at the vets a couple months ago. he was not really scared. but, once on the table,
he was just ansy. after his basic exam, the vet sedated him because he needed blood work done.
he had some type of penis infection. vet was not sure exactly what it was, but, gave him antibotics, and it seemed to help.

sometimes coons will semi hibernate in the fall. some wil slow down more, eat less and sleep more.

I feed my coons dry cat food/dog food. along with 1/2 can cat food. cooked chicken and fish when I can get it.

They also get snacks. marshmellows is a favorite for most coons.

does coonie have water next to his food?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies! I will try weighing him on a regular basis and keeping a log of his weight. I have never given an animal a shot and I fear doing it wrong but I can foresee that doing so will be necessary for my coon in the future. I want to minimize trips to the vet because it is so frightening for him (and that I can understand). Is there a good way for me to learn how to give shots? I have some time tonight to go looking for some probiotics at different stores. I will look for the Naturemade brand. He likes strawberries so he might like the strawberry flavored tablets.

I am glad I am not the only one who's coon is afraid during vet visits! I was worried that maybe it was my fault. I admit, socialization would have helped him but I prefer to keep him away from the public and other people. It minimizes any calls to animal control :roll: My coon likes a variety of people food. I try not to give him too much junk. He has been doing a lot better since the visit to the vet. He really likes the Nutrical. Last night, I opened the fridge and he came up and sniffed out a chicken that was on the top shelf. He yanked it off the plate and ran downstairs to my bedroom with it. My parents weren't happy about it but I was glad to see that he was interested in eating. He has been eating his Wellness CORE dog food very well since the vet visit.

Trefoil - I have not vaccinated him yet. Is there a way I could do this myself? I was looking online for shots that you can buy to give to your dogs at home. All the things I found were 5 way or more and were live and not killed viruses. I am very afraid of him getting distemper. I did find the list of vaccine names on Remo's site. Is it safe to give antibiotics without knowing what they are ill with? How do you get antibiotics without a prescription? I think a rectal thermometer might work out okay with Alex because he's been just so docile lately. Not so inactive now and finally eating again but definitely just more calm. There was a time when he would turn to bite me if I petted him at all. Now he just sits there. Honestly, I think it's great and I hope this good behavior isn't because he is ill. I will definitely need good luck with finding a vet experienced with coons. The vet I am taking him to now has seen them rarely in the past, but he seems to be a very patient vet and very understanding. I really like him a lot more than the other vet I used to take my last skunk to. Thank you for saying the pictures are fabulous. I thought they came out very nicely myself. And thank you so much for all of that info. It really does help a lot. Did you take Chloe to the vet for her vaccination or did you do it yourself? If you did it yourself, where did you get the vaccination to give her? I am scared to have a vet do it because I worry it would somehow be the wrong thing and he would get the virus...:/ I know they're not stupid people but I dunno...I'm just abnormally paranoid I guess.

Pat - I think I am going to need a better carrier for when I take him next time. The sheet is a good idea! The carrier I used is kind of cheap and isn't held together in the bolt/screw way but with these things that just snap the top and bottom half together. He burst through it twice in less than a couple of miles. We didn't have time to go back and get a carrier so he just rode with us, loose in the car. He actually did very well. He just sat between the seats on the thing that opens up to store stuff in most of the time. He did like to perch on the back of the seat where the headrest is. I worried about people seeing him but I didn't notice anyone looking. I had my boyfriend drive so I could try and keep him in control, but there were no problems.

I think next time I go, I will see if I can arrange to have them ready for me to just walk right into the exam room instead of having to wait in the waiting room. I think that would have helped. I will also be getting the different carrier and trying the sheet method. Did your vet sedate Larry out of necessity or just more of a precaution? Could he not do the blood work with him fully awake? I'm not really sure what other coons are like as I've only been around mine. I looked on Remo's site about the diet and it said they're hungry throughout december so I was worried that his appetite was not normal for this time of year. I'm assuming that Alex's slowing down/calm behavior is related to the season now. I am not complaining :P As for water next to the food, I don't have a set food dish that I feed him in. I tend to use some plastic trays that go through the dishwasher that I feed them with. Sometimes I feed them in the kitchen, other times in the downstairs living room. The food that I was giving him was a blend of vegetables and Wellness Core dog food and because it was a blend, it was just kind of mush. He never dipped it in his water. He does like to dip the kibble in the water, though. But normally there is not a water dish right next to his food.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:47 pm

the carrier I used for larry had the same problem you are talking about with the top and bottom missing most of the hardware. I used plastic wire ties on all and more of the missing hardware.
the carrier is now even more secure than it was with all the hardware.

all the coons food dishes have a bowl of water next to it. not sure if they require
a certain amount. but, they do dunk and drink the water when eating.

larry was not bitey. he never was, even at the vets. he just squirmed too much.
it was much easier to sedate him when they did blood work and the rest of the exam.
but, he also had to check his penis pretty thoroughly.

I don't give larry much junk food. a little bit of it.
he loves chicken and fish. watermelon is the only fruit he will eat. (spoiled brat)
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:15 pm

I got one like that from the thrift store. I just took it into the local hardware store and asked him for nuts and bolts to replace the plastic things. He helped find the right ones and even would have put them all on for me but I wanted to wash it then put it together.

Glad he's doing better and that it may just be the season.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:02 pm

I had the vet give Chloe her vaccinations, I took her not long after I got her, put her in one of the soft sided cat carriers, that worked out so well, she had it completely demolished in the 1.5 miles to the vet. If you have a tsc store by you, they usually carry antibiotics in their refrigerator case with the vaccines. Rabies has to be given by a vet, I think. But if tsc doesn't have the distemper, try jeffers vet supply, omaha vaccine, or do a search for vet supplies for a different mail order place. With my coons I never noticed them slowing down eating, even during the winter. Binx slept a lot more but when he was awake, he was hungry. I keep two water dishes in my bathtub for Chloe so she always has access to water. I don't let my coon outside, I don't have an outside pen for her and two of my coons were killed. I wouldn't give antibiotics casually, but if he's ill I certainly would. Chloe eats diamond chicken & rice or lamb & rice and when my skunk gets dog food its taste of the wild either their wetlands formula or their pacific stream. I want to try Stomp for Scout, but haven't found anyone who uses it. If you find a collar or harness that will stay on a coon, please let me know what kind & where to get one. The best way to learn how to give a shot is to have the vet show you, failing that do you know someone, a nurse or someone that gives their pets shots. Most people that have had animals for a while end up having to give them shots sooner or later. Coons need a lot of water, but Chloe eats like you describe, I never see her stay at a dish and empty it unless its a treat. Chloe likes those carrots that come peeled & ready to eat.
cjb777

Postby cjb777 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:44 pm

The only time that kato got sick and had to go to the vet for it, they gave me clavamox for him. I noticed it was also the same antibiotic that they gave me for one of my dogs for a nail bed infection. This made me think that its probably used commonly for animals as amoxacillin is for kids with colds, and it also is in the refrigerator section at the farm supply store.
He had aspirated when he was still drinking from a bottle and developed an infection in his lungs. He was very very ill from this and lost weight drastically quick, but the clavamox worked quickly for him. We were very lucky. If your coon is just 10 pounds, it doesnt take much to notice a weight loss. If your vet cant seem to get a look at him and do an examination, I dont think this antibiotic would be harmful. Maybe some others on here would have some better advice, but i would be afraid to let it go too long without doing something.

As for the harness,,,,, :lol: if you get a regular dog one, and turn it upside down so that your coon cant reach the buckle, and take up the slack by folding it and using electrical tape to make the lower strap shorter ,,, then slip him into it while he has a pile of cheese puffs in front of him, it should stay on until you get him onto the exam table. (this was MUCH longer for me than a carrier) Kato loves the car, and will go pretty good in my arms, (altho very heavy now..) but trying to get him into a carrier is like herding cats. Its just not going to happen.....
Im sure I wont be the only one on here to say that sometimes the easiest way with a raccoon, is to just let them have their own way. : /

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”