ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Raccoon Vaccines

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

the_unstable

Raccoon Vaccines

Postby the_unstable » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:14 pm

I've discussed this a little bit in unrelated threads but I wanted to get more information. I'm gearing to get Alex vaccinated but I'm not sure what vaccines to get him. I thought about doing them myself so I can be sure of what vaccines he is getting, to prevent stress from going to the vet, and to save money.

On Remo's vaccine page ( http://remocoon.mnsi.net/health.htm ) it says that Raccoons can get both cat and dog rabies. Is that true? I figured rabies was just rabies and most animals can get it from most other animals, so that it is the same thing, thus you'd only need one vaccine.

I can find very few killed vaccines on the internet, and many vaccines are 5 way, 7 way, that sort of thing. It is hard to find the vaccines I need without them being mixed in with other vaccines that are not listed as necessary on Remo's site. Is it bad to give those 5 way vaccines? What are the risks of giving modified live vaccines?

I am mostly worried about distemper, as it is airborne and all. Parvo scares me also. Rabies, being rare, is unlikely, but I still want to protect him against it just in case. I'm aware that it is said that a rabies vaccine isn't legally valid unless given by a vet, but even if Alex bit someone, being a raccoon, he'd just be killed for it anyway, thus I'm going to get him the vaccine merely to protect him.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Raccoon Vaccines

Postby Ash » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:23 pm

There are different strains of rabies that affect a wider variety of animals than others. That's why striped skunks are banned in Illinois--they're susceptible to many of the different strains. On the flip side, hyenas are practically immune to rabies. So it varies from species to species how sensitive they are to all the particular strains. At least, that's how I understand it.

Pat could probably give you some answers about the raccoon vaccines.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:24 pm

Yeah you only need one vaccine to protect against rabies. There are 5 recognized strains in the USA. Raccoon Rabies being the most common but a raccoon biting your dog gives it raccoon rabies not canine rabies(unless the raccoon had canine rabies).
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:25 am

Okay, that helps a lot with the rabies vaccine. I'm most worried about distemper.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:53 am

Distemper is scary plus it keeps mutating. Parvo is a mutated form of feline distemper.

Giving modified live can sometimes cause them to get the disease you are vaccinating for. There were studies on it in zoo animals. The risks are fairly low but it can happen.

It can be hard to find killed though(does not exist for Parvo).

If you can fine recombinant vaccines those are actually best. You're just giving some genes of the virus and you don't have adjuvants that can cause the reactions.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:56 am

I've not even heard of the recombinant vaccine before. All I can find online is modified live, and rarely, oh so rarely, killed vaccines. I'm scared to even give him any modified live vaccines, but it seems like that's almost all that is out there :/
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:00 am

Recombinant are the safest but not widely used yet. They can't seem to make one that works for parvo but they have distemper and rabies the main maker is Purevax.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/vaccina ... omvacc.htm
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:03 am

They have some Purevax online, oops the link is crazy long google "Purevax" and then click shopping option and you'll find places that carry it then look for the ones you need to give.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:40 am

Ah thank you! I don't know what I would do with the 24 left over doses. I hoped to find singles, but I'm guessing it's not common enough/in demand enough for that. Can vets legally (and will they) sell people single vaccines to administer themselves?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:01 am

I think it depends on your state if it's allowed. In CA you need a prescription for everything but in most states you can buy a lot of stuff like vaccines at feed stores.

I remember someone having their vet order a specific vaccine before but they still had to buy the whole package because the vets other clients wouldn't normally use it so the vet had no reason to buy the box then sell just one dose/vial. I think they had the vet give it in that case though, not sure.

My vet gives me single doses loaded up to take home of vitamins K and B12 for emergencies.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:37 pm

I think it is allowed in Iowa, at least I know I can buy vaccines online without prescriptions. There were multiple states listed that the vaccines could not be shipped to, and IA wasn't one of them.

Having the vet order a whole package might be cheaper (as they're vets and probably able to get them for less) than buying a whole package online. Maybe I will ask my vet about it before I buy anything.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”