NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Foxes that can live in apartments.

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Arctic Fox Lover

Foxes that can live in apartments.

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:16 pm

The title pretty much explains it all. I'd just like to know what species of fox is possible to be kept in an apartment, and what changes need to be done to the place in order to make the enviroment suitable for the fox.
Peacefulward

Re: Foxes that can live in apartments.

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:34 pm

The only fox you have any chance of keeping in an apartment would be a fennec. But even then, they are very noisy and your neighbors might complain. Your complex might also not allow them. It's not a good idea to keep a fennec in an apartment, but if you were going to do it anyways you'd probably have to set them up their own room with sound blocking foam on the walls, a ferret nation cage (or custom made enclosure) and ramps/ledges going up and down the walls for climbing. A sandbox would be nice too. Just make sure everything is clean and not able to be ruined.. Also would want the room ideally to not be carpet and have nothing that can be destroyed. Also would need to verify that your complex allows fennecs.

Arctic and red foxes are a definite no! They're noisy, do terrible indoors, have urine that smells like skunk, are highly destructive, and mark everything with their urine. If they don't have enough space they become agitated and territorial to the point of aggression.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:11 pm

I 100% agree with Peacefulward. anyone that rents, should keep their animal to a cat only.
sorry, seen and heard too many horror stories about foxes of any kind in an apt and even other certain enviroments :cry:
the other issue, does your landlord approve? does your state and local area approve? if not, and a fox is found, look for a fine and losing the fox :cry:
wait till you move and more stable. most landlords will not be too happy with the noise, and possible odor with a fennec.
from what I have heard, fennecs have high pitch voices. I am sure the members will explain more about their noise.

I personally do not or never owned any fennecs. only reds. but, seen many fennecs and heard their noise.
most fennecs don't litter train well.

we are not trying to mean, cruel or a know-it-all. only basing our info on our knowledge and common sense.
we are here to help everyone and give honest info based on our experience.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Yeah just fennecs and I advise against it. You would need it in writing that a fennec is specifically allowed or they could kick you out if found out. You can't really have them just because "pets" are allowed as legally that is taken as "Common domestic pets". Back when we were renting the lease even specified each dog by name and age so when we wanted a new one we had to get permission and add her to the lease. Even if your lease isn't that detailed you'll want that a fennec is allowed in writing. That will at least buy you some time if there is a problem.

But if there is an issue like damage or complaints they can still make you leave or get rid of the fox as they don't have to tolerate damage or major disruptions. So seems a bit too risky to me to get one when you don't own.

But if you still want to and your landlord is supper cool and you have it in writing. Then protect the floor. Ikigai has dug up a few vinyl tiles though some may have been a bit loose to start will. He's dug at the dry wall some too under the bed. His pee is just like a strong dog pee but any animal smell wont be looked on well so lots of cleaning and protect the existing floor maybe put down plastic with tile on top or something. Those ionic air purifiers are supposed to really help. I plan to get one eventually myself. My main smell issue is my anteaters though. If you have a male sometimes people use belly bands on them when out running around. will want to start right away with putting that on to get them to tolerate it though.

And some noise reduction on the walls and ceilings, floor is needed, sounds great as well. If needed for floor maybe put something down to limit noise then the plastic and tile on top of that. Obviously don't glue anything down though since that could be damaging.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Arctic Fox Lover

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:28 pm

What about grey foxes? I've heard they're less messy.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:02 pm

They are bigger and reports vary. They are more mellow than reds but I wouldn't get out without having the option of an outside enclosure in case it doesn't work out. I've heard great things, yet just the other day some owners were saying how theirs poop and mark everywhere. It seems to vary.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tree

Postby Tree » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:04 pm

I wouldn't even recommend fennec foxes. They are rather skittish and don't like closed environments. It's why they tend to be behavioral.

Unfortunate. But it is what it is.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:33 pm

personally, you should not get any fox while in an apartment icon-sad I know they are hard it is to resist. but, I doubt you would want to take a chance of losing a fox if people and/or landlords complain. and/or get evicted.

wait till you move somewhere that you can build an enclosure. honestly, you will be happy if you waited.
heck, dogs don't even do too good in an apartment.

keep in mind any animal that is bored will be troublesome and destructive. I have heard this happen more times than I wanted to.
in fact, a member here that use to post had a silver fox, he kept it in his bedroom :roll:
needless to say, the fox bored a hole in his mattress, ripped holes in the walls. he finally had to get rid of it.
this type of living condition is not fair to any fox, and most other animals.

we are not talking you out of it or being a know-it-all. we base our info on other owners bad experience and the reality of owning a fox in an apartment.

I also agree with Tree, fennecs will not do good in an apartment. they are noisy and can be destructive, worse when they are bored.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Tree

Postby Tree » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Also, foxes love to dig. You have lots of sandboxes OP?
:lol:

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”