HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637[/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Breeds

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Nlucio22

Breeds

Postby Nlucio22 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Is this breed a thing when it comes to pets?
Attachments
PhotoGrid_1544056114275-512x512.jpg
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Breeds

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:53 pm

There are no breeds. Only different species. Red fox(vulpes vulpes) comes in many colors but no true breeds).

That said yes kit fox is a real species but no I don't know of any legit breeders of them. Used to be some swift fox breeders but I don't know of any still breeding those either.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:54 pm

I have seen some ruppell's fox for sale but I think right now they are mostly if not all imports but hopefully they breed and we see bottle raised ones in coming years.
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:02 pm

Thank you guys icon-smile
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:05 pm

Are there any bottle fed hand raised pale foxes from legit breeders?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:19 am

They are still supper rare, and mostly imports. I think there's a breeder or two but not sure who. I know a guy with a pair but he just got the female so they haven't bred yet.

I would love a palid(pale) fox someday. They are really friendly foxes.
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:54 pm

Maybe by the time I'm ready to own one there will be legit breeders
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Palid foxes do seem exceptionally friendly and "cuddly" as far as foxes go. Wouldn't mind having one myself, just need permits for it first.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:44 pm

I don't see many people talking about how cuddly or loving their fox is. My brat was pretty loving and cuddly
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:22 pm

My fennec is loving but in his own fennec way, not typical dog or cat way. He loves to be petted but he likes to be at a bit of a distance to limit the risk I might pick him up and any movements can send him flying. Lately he wakes me at least once a night contact calling to wake me to pet him. He only laid on me when he was a kit but he will jump on my shoulder and stand there and he regularly does a breath check and sniffs my mouth and nose and eyes to be sure I'm well. One day I'd had a bad day and flopped dramatically on the bed and just laid there not moving. He came to check on me but once I lifted my head and he knew I was okay he went off again.

Palid's and bat eared are more traditionally loving. They are more follow you are around and lay on you while you chill on the couch types which the more common fox species are not into doing much.
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:44 pm

It will be at least 3 years before we move and that may be wishful thinking because my husband goes back and forth with wanting to move when my youngest graduated high school in 2 and a half years to wanting to put in 15 more years with his company but either way I'm thinking I want to get another fox if the state we move allows them. I will be trying to find all the info I can on palids and I look into bat ears. icon-smile
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:52 pm

Chi would let me pick her up and cuddle her but her favorite place to lay was on my lap under the blankets. I thought she would never warm up to my when I first brought her home because she was already over a year old and she stayed hidden for the first week. After that I still couldn't touch or hold her but she would come out. After about a month she finally allowed me to touch her. After about 3 months she was my side kick.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:50 am

the more time you spend with a fox, the better. however, they are still not like a dog.
the only thing about foxes, (when kept in a house 24/7, they will mark)

a fox really should have an nice size outdoor enclosure. foxes don't have to be kept there 24/7. foxes really like being outdoors.

the first fox I had years ago. I kept her in the house 24/7. she marked everywhere. I had to remove all my carpets.
buy new furniture.. the ones after that, were not as bad at all with marking in the house. however, they were not kept in the house 24/7.

to be honest, I really like raccoons better. they are pet quality if raised properly. raccoons have more personality, and love attention.
the bonus is they are 100% litter trained. some people keep their raccoons in their house 24/7. mine have their own room with a doggie door that goes into their enclosure.. I do let them in the house with me, but, I put them back in their room at night only because I have a doggie door for my dogs in the living room.

another thing with most foxes, if they get loose, they will run. my raccoons won't. in fact, the first fox I had years ago slipped out the door when I was letting 5 dogs out. I called her looked all over for her. never found her. a few years later, someone told me that one of my neighbors (even though I live in a rural area) seen my fox in their yard, killed her and now has her stuffed in his trophy room.

I know many people want a fox because of their beauty. yes, there are a lot of beautiful foxes out there. however, there is different colors of raccoons too. in fact, the ones I have now, I have two standard colors and one albino. I used to have a blonde raccoon, sadly, he passed away from bone cancer at the age of 10.

actually, my second fox, I bought my first raccoon at the same time as my marble fox. it was so darn cute, both were bonded. when my raccoon sadly passed away, my fox cried for month for his raccoon buddy. I even had two other foxes, but, my fox hung out with my raccoon more.

either way, we are here to help and support you with whatever you decide. I don't know where you live, but, I know a few places that sell foxes. some will ship. As you know, they are not born until March. you are being very wise to wait till you move where foxes are legal. the wait time will pay off for you if you decide on another fox. wherever you move to make sure you can find a good vet that will treat a fox or any exotic you may get.

we are here to help and support each other. there are a lot of knowledgeable and great members here.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:07 am

Pat, let me get my brat to school, get to class myself and once I'm out and sitting at my iron infusion appointment with lots of time to kill I will reply to your post here and on the intro page. icon-smile
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Yes Chi definitely marked but she also used litter boxes, and puppy pads. It was okay when she did mark because the master bedroom and bathroom had been converted into her domain so we knew it would get destroyed. She was in the house 24/7. icon-sad
But it wasn't horrible, she wasn't aggressive because of it, in fact she was very loving. She used puppy pads and she had two litter boxes she used for the bathroom and to hide stuff, she had a blue kiddy pool full of sand so she could dig, play and hide stuff. There were 3 nightstand that we pulled the bottom drawer out of and my hubby made holes in the bottom of the remaining drawer so she could make different "dens" in them around the room. She had a shelf placed right under a window with steps and a ledge going to it. She didn't have carpet (not one room in my house has it) she had tile. She trashed all my bathroom cabinets making them hers. I know there will never be another Chi she was so stinkin special but I wonder if one will even come close because she was awesome and loving. I have a list of animals I want once my kids are grown and we move, a raccoon happens to be on that list. I'm sure I'll decide to get another fox some day but who knows that could change by the time I settle somewhere.

I'm sorry to hear about your first fox, I would want to choke that dang neighbor. Bone cancer took one of your raccoons? Yikes.

Thanks for taking time to reply back. Have a good day.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”