HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

PLEASE READ THIS REGARDING TOXIC DOG FOOd viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1463

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 (with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.) FREE TO USE.
(PLEASE USE THE LINK ABOVE, YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

Indoor kennel floor?

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Crafty

Indoor kennel floor?

Postby Crafty » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Loki and I moved across the state over the past weekend so I could finish my schooling. Unfortunately, the area we moved to isn't the best, and I felt extremely uncomfortable about keeping him locked in a kennel outside while I was in class. So, instead, I set his new kennel up in the very spacious garage. Anyway, I had heard that concrete is extremely porous and retains smells, so I placed some linoleum that I bought at Lowe's underneath the kennel. The linoleum was 12x12 while the kennel is 10x10 so there was an extra foot around all the sides.

Unfortunately, this morning, Loki ripped a small hole in the linoleum where there was a bump in the concrete. I had to get to my biology lab, so I placed one of his heavy cinderblocks over it and told myself I would deal with it later when I got back. However, upon my return...

So the linoleum is now trash, and I need some ideas on how to protect/keep Loki off the concrete. RabbleFox suggested a concrete sealer to me, and that is a very possible option. It wouldn't keep Loki off the concrete but it should stop urine and feces from being absorbed.

I was basically just wondering if anyone else had any other possible suggestions?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Indoor kennel floor?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Stall mats
s.iker

Postby s.iker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Can you paint/install a rubber floor that will seal it. Liquid wouldn't get absorbed and you can easily clean it off by hosing it off?
lavenderlilac

Postby lavenderlilac » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:06 pm

That is EXACTLY what Lucy did when I used linoleum. I asked Ragtatter what her flooring was and it was "FRP panels". They are like wall panels you can use for showers. They aren't cheap but they've been PERFECT for Lucy's indoor enclosure. She hasn't damaged them one bit and they are EXTREMELY easy to clean. I would recommend putting them "smooth" side up and not the "textured" side up, for several reasons. You get them at Loews, Menards, etc.
Crafty

Postby Crafty » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:44 pm

TamanduaGirl - So something like this? Yikes! I would need like 5 or 6 of them - that would be expensive!

Siker - I believe you're suggesting something along the lines of concrete sealant, just as RabbleFox suggested. I think this is my best bet so far - one gallon of concrete sealant is only like $25 at Lowe's, and I'm sure that I wouldn't need more than a gallon.

Lavenderlilac - I actually use FRP panels for the floor of Loki's kennel over at my parents' house! You're right, they're expensive. They're $25 for a 4x8 sheet over here, and I think I would need about 5 of them.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:08 pm

Yeah they have then 12x12 already too but yeah expensive but they are incredibly durable. They also have smaller interlocking ones. It would last a lifetime.

If I ever get to redo the anteater room completely or move I might use stall mats as it will provide some cushion should they fall and provide for easy cleaning. They are pretty heavy but can be removed to for more thorough cleaning if need be. We used small ones in the animal trailers when I was with the petting zoo.

I painted my floor but it's all coming off. Actual sealing would be better. I'll probably do linoleum in here soon but anteaters aren't diggers like foxes are so it'll be fine. I already got their feeding shelf covered with linoleum panels and it was been great. My main concern is my animals are already living in here so any thing like painting or sealing that involves chemicals would be a major hassle as they would need to be somewhere else during. With linoleum tiles I can just put some down, move some things and put some more down as I have time and no worries about fumes and such.
Crafty

Postby Crafty » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:22 pm

I think for now I am going to go with the concrete sealant. It may not necessarily be a quick fix, but it is cheaper. And right now cheap is good considering I spent about $500 on the new kennel, linoleum, and poultry netting roof. Perhaps in a while when I haven't just spent hundreds of dollars, I will also invest in the horse stall mats.

TamanduaGirl wrote:My main concern is my animals are already living in here so any thing like painting or sealing that involves chemicals would be a major hassle as they would need to be somewhere else during. With linoleum tiles I can just put some down, move some things and put some more down as I have time and no worries about fumes and such.

This also concerns me, so I will just have to keep Loki out of the garage. Sure it may not be ideal and it may piss Loki off, but I have his crate and his zipline and he can even roam the basement while the sealant dries.

This is going to have to be my new weekend project. Good thing its a long weekend.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:29 am

Fable has been kept on the concrete floor of my garage for about a year and a half. As long as you clean up when he urinates on it when you see it, and spray it out with a hose every once in a while, you can keep the smell down. You just need to be vigilante about it. It can really stink up the place if you get lax. Always sweep up all of the shed fur--it contributes a LOT to the smell.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Crafty

Postby Crafty » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:19 pm

This is what I ended up getting for the floor:

It was kind of pricey at about $65, but the lady I talked to at Lowe's said it was a lot more durable than regular concrete sealant because it is a two part epoxy. I also decided to splurge because Lowe's was actually willing to take back the destroyed linoleum and refund me my money.

It was actually a lot more work than I thought it was going to be. First you had to wash the floor to the best of your ability, then you had to scrub the floor with an etch and wash it off completely. And then you had to wait until the floor was completely dry before applying the epoxy. To be honest it was about a three day process.

This is how it looks now:

I didn't do the whole garage. The box said it was supposed to cover up to 250 square feet, but it really didn't. I used the whole gallon.

Thank you everyone for the additional suggestions. I really appreciated them!
s.iker

Postby s.iker » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:31 pm

looks nice! :D glad it worked!
dragonking

Postby dragonking » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:13 pm

He's almost the same colour as the floor. If it weren't for the black in his fur, he could just lay down and disappear.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:42 pm

Cool. too bad it didn't cover the whole thing. How long did drying of the sealant take? We had to do the scrubbing thing to paint as well but wasn't as durable as if we sealed it.
Crafty

Postby Crafty » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:36 pm

I'm not sure if there is a difference in drying time between a sealant and an epoxy, but it took around... like 18-20 hours to dry? Well. Probably less. I had it finished by 10:30 pm, but I didn't allow Loki to go back into his kennel until about 5 pm the next day. The instructions said light traffic was allowed after 12-16 hours. I'd like to try to finish covering the garage eventually, but for now this will do!

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”