PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Breeding Season

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Breeding Season

Postby Ash » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:02 pm

Are any of your foxes changing their behavior to get ready for winter/breeding season? Fable changed a little bit last year at around this time (late September) and is now at it again this year. He is marking around the yard a lot (he doesn't mark ever in his enclosure, just when he's outside), and even hiked his leg to mark a tree. I've never seen a fox hike its leg to mark or urinate, so it was kind of surprising. He is also getting more aloof and a bit possessive of his enclosure.

Don't get me wrong, he's still friendly and nice, and he was like this for a tiny bit last year, so I'm not at all concerned. ;) It will pass in a short time if it's like last year and the year before. Just curious if anybody else is experiencing the same thing with their little todd or vixen.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Alynn

Re: Breeding Season

Postby Alynn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:06 am

Miehiera's gotten a bit more testy with me here and there when I pet her, but otherwise I haven't noticed much of a change.
Kamal

Postby Kamal » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:05 am

Surprisingly nothing change here while I am bloody afraid of the crazies.
I still can catch her and we still make arguments here and there when she overdoes her games and goes over limit - ends up like usual. No harm done and she not holds grunge on my gekkering with heavy human accent.
Also plays the same way with our dog - and the same way super curious.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:19 pm

ash,
can't remember did you get fable fixed?

all mine seem to remain the same all year. but, this year, daryl, my oldest seems more friendly, and always wants me to groom him he will sit for a long time when I comb him. that probably has alot to do with the shedding and the new coat coming soon :shrug: my finger nails are worn down from scratching daryl, the dogs, cats, raccoons and even hubby joins in for his back scratched :roll: (thats why I started using the stainless comb).

in fact, sometimes daryl gets so desperate, he tried to get geroge my raccoon to scratch him :roll:
george sometimes puts his little hands in daryls ears. (which daryl likes)

guess all foxes are different :shrug:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Tribble has been getting a little more aloof lately, and has gotten more stubborn over the word, 'No.' Overall though, she hasn't changed very much. Yet.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Yes, Fable is fixed. But from what I've heard fixing a fox doesn't stop them from feeling the "call of the wild" when it comes to breeding season except that they're more calm. Fable started out like this last year (I mean, he really is fine and friendly, he's just acting more aggressive around his enclosure, and that isn't much; just enough for me to tell, I guess) but then he got really tame and would sometimes try to hump my arm. :roll: I think he'll get much more "amorous" soon. Time will tell.

Actually, come to think of it, I think he's getting mad because I'm taking off his leash. I'm always in the process of walking him into his enclosure and taking the leash off, and that's when he gets feisty. Maybe he knows that if the leash comes off he isn't going to be on his walk anymore. The more I think about it, that's what I think it is. I think he doesn't want the leash off and he gets grumpy when it comes off.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:03 am

ash,

I thought Fable was fixed. my males never showed any changes. wonder if it has something to do with
the fact I have 3 foxes vs. 1?

but then he got really tame and would sometimes try to hump my arm

I am surprised about that one. my males never did that. but, I do have a female with them.
she is fixed, but never seen the males try and hump her :shrug:

come to think of it, I think he's getting mad because I'm taking off his leash.

he didn't want his mommy to leave him :mrgreen:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:34 am

Heehee, so true.

So the past few weeks were kind of rough. Fable was pretty moody at times, but it was definitely the leash-thing that got him upset. He just did not want it to come off. There was one time when he did lunge at me and bite. He got me through the rubber boot and tore the skin with his tooth, though no blood. I tried not to take it personally, though it did make me sad; but foxes are foxes, and you just can't expect them to be perfect. That's why they're exotic animals, after all.

From now on, I feed him a treat while I'm taking the leash off and he has been doing great. He hasn't been moody at all and has even been loving on me more than usual. He's been back to his regular self. I think a little bit of it had to do with hormones since the aggression was out of the blue and it's consistent with his behavior at this time last year. But like the years prior, it went away completely after several weeks.

He has also started to enjoy marking around his enclosure with feces; I didn't realize this was marking since it wasn't urine, but he actually has done this every winter. Starting this time he misses his litter-box an awful lot. So Fable does mark, just not with urine, and he only does it during the winter. Weirdo. I guess this is his way of getting a mate, though someone needs to tell him this is not an attractive habit. :lol:

I hosed down the garage today since it was warmer, and he got sulky as usual whenever I get his enclosure wet. But after a little coaxing, he was like, "Fine mom, I forgive you. But only if you pet me. Yeah.... like that.... right there..." And then he started thumping his foot. (I know his ticklish spot, and I always get that foot going.)

So a little bit of a rough patch, but doing great now. I've been spending a lot of time with him lately, and I can really see a difference with our bond during times like this. He's very happy, been "smiling" a lot lately, and getting very affectionate.
the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:54 am

Ash wrote:

Heehee, so true.

So the past few weeks were kind of rough. Fable was pretty moody at times, but it was definitely the leash-thing that got him upset. He just did not want it to come off. There was one time when he did lunge at me and bite. He got me through the rubber boot and tore the skin with his tooth, though no blood. I tried not to take it personally, though it did make me sad; but foxes are foxes, and you just can't expect them to be perfect. That's why they're exotic animals, after all.

From now on, I feed him a treat while I'm taking the leash off and he has been doing great. He hasn't been moody at all and has even been loving on me more than usual. He's been back to his regular self. I think a little bit of it had to do with hormones since the aggression was out of the blue and it's consistent with his behavior at this time last year. But like the years prior, it went away completely after several weeks.

He has also started to enjoy marking around his enclosure with feces; I didn't realize this was marking since it wasn't urine, but he actually has done this every winter. Starting this time he misses his litter-box an awful lot. So Fable does mark, just not with urine, and he only does it during the winter. Weirdo. I guess this is his way of getting a mate, though someone needs to tell him this is not an attractive habit. :lol:

I hosed down the garage today since it was warmer, and he got sulky as usual whenever I get his enclosure wet. But after a little coaxing, he was like, "Fine mom, I forgive you. But only if you pet me. Yeah.... like that.... right there..." And then he started thumping his foot. (I know his ticklish spot, and I always get that foot going.)

So a little bit of a rough patch, but doing great now. I've been spending a lot of time with him lately, and I can really see a difference with our bond during times like this. He's very happy, been "smiling" a lot lately, and getting very affectionate.

Oh man, I'd love to see that, Fable thumping his foot, smiling, I miss that cute little puffball, he's such an affectionate little fox! :mrgreen:
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:16 am

Old post... but yeah it is that time of year again. Foxy (F) is starting to get a lot more vocal and pushy even though she is the shorter of the two. Shadow is being much friendlier around me letting me pet him much more than the usual aloof finger sniff as I pass.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:45 am

Cute. :) Do you have any current pics of them? I think last time you posted pictures of them they were still young.

How are you doing, by the way? I know you were having a difficult time keeping them indoors and having a hard time with your boss about it. Did that get resolved?

Fable is doing so much better this year and is really affectionate. He wants my attention a LOT lately since he has no "attraction" to Ifrit whatsoever. Maybe come February he'll get more amorous towards her, but I'm not foreseeing that happening, lol.
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:24 am

I think I have gotten a much better handle on the myriad of problems of heath and odor control here. Still a little foxy smell but in general I'd say I am in a happier healthier place. The work situations have greatly improved I think.

Here's a couple pics from October. Aside from Foxy's X-rays I have almost no good pics. The rest are all orange streaks, lol.

Foxy

Foxy & Shadow
the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:45 am

Awww, such a cute little foxy! :mrgreen:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:23 pm

Aaaw, looks like they're doing well. :) Cute pics of them. I'm glad things are working out better and that you have a better system down to manage and take care of them. They seem happy, and you seem a lot more content with the situation.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”