PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Where do you keep your new fox kits?

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

s.iker

Where do you keep your new fox kits?

Postby s.iker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:32 am

I was thinking about this earlier, and wondered when you brought home your new fox baby, and if you couldn't take off work or what ever the reason your not home. Where do you keep them? Do you guys put them in their big outdoor enclosures? Or something smaller indoors to be less scary for them? Like a large dog kennel.. I would think that the enclosure would be to dangerous for a baby fox until they were old enough, but then again wild baby foxes live in the great outdoors as well... Am i being a worry wart about this? :red-face:
Jen Jen

Re: Where do you keep your new fox kits?

Postby Jen Jen » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Tribble was confined to a large dog crate(like big enough for two adult humans to crawl into) the first day/night, then had run of my bedroom for a.few weeks, then the house after that. She didn't go outside until about five months old.
haira32

Postby haira32 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:33 pm

My plan is to build an indoor kennel like the one Ragtatter has for her fox Gizmo as seen in this video. These panels are study and affordable and I prefer the bar spacing on these over chain link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpoRiMrIDQ8
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:56 pm

I did what Jen Jen did and kept the tiny Fable in a large dog crate. They grow up pretty fast though so it wasn't too long until he got to be put in his enclosure. Though his enclosure was in the basement at the time, so it didn't seem as "dangerous" as it would seem if it was outside.

Fortunately, since I was home in Illinois visiting when I first brought Fable home, I didn't have a job or school to worry about that summer. So I was home all the time with Fable. But when my family and I would leave and go to church or somewhere we would put him in the big dog pen that 2 people could fit in. He would normally just sleep the whole time we were away. He'd lay down in one spot and still be in that spot when we got back. They sleep a lot when they're babies.

Other times when we were home, but for one reason or another couldn't supervise him (like we were all doing yard work) we would lock him in the kitchen. We'd put up big pieces of cardboard at the entrances so he couldn't leave the kitchen and put his litter box in there. He could run around on the tile, and at that age he didn't really gnaw on anything.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:03 pm

I kept in her a dog crate for the first week, then per suggestion I had her in a ferret cage (much easier access for me and much more room and space for her) out on our back porch, and once she was big enough we moved her out into her big pen where she still is.
Elina

Postby Elina » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:54 am

With fox kits I keep them with me all the time when I am home. If I am going to work and my OH is not home they go in a crate in my already fox proof study (sometimes they somehow get out of their crates).
Something to remember is that normally the bigger the crate the wider the bar spacing so if you get a big crate and have a tiny fox you will need to find a way to make it escape proof. I often will affix aviary wire to the outside using cable ties.

I try to keep mine inside for the 1st 6 months as you really want that special bond. :icon-wink:
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
s.iker

Postby s.iker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:27 pm

Thanks guys.. I would love to have the fox kit with me at all times, but if i do work at my new job which isn't pet friendly... he would have to be in a safe enclosure until i can be with him... And i would fear that the outdoor enclosure would be too much for a baby.

I have a kennel that belonged to my first rottweiler, and then justice used it for less than a year or so.... Maybe that might work if its clean and i can get the dog smell/scent out... hmmm.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:39 am

s.iker wrote:
I have a kennel that belonged to my first rottweiler, and then justice used it for less than a year or so.... Maybe that might work if its clean and i can get the dog smell/scent out... hmmm.

Both the crate and the ferret cage I used were clean. Then again, she didn't like the crate much, but once I moved her into the cage (Which stunk much more than the crate did), she did just fine. Dish soap and water is the extent of what I used to clean mine out.
ladyredfoxx

Postby ladyredfoxx » Mon May 11, 2015 5:28 am

Hello! This is my first post :). So Hello everyone! I have a sliver cross baby named Gizmo also. She is 6 weeks old now. I think that is too funny. I was reading your posts and I think that video of that indoor enclosure is perfect for what I want to build. Does anyone know what type of fencing that is?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 11, 2015 12:57 pm

It's dog X-pen panels.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon May 11, 2015 8:05 pm

I do not recommend indoor enclosures unless they are in your garage/basement in a well-ventilated area. But if it's a place in your house, that really won't work. Ragtatter is the person who had to keep her cross fox truly indoors for a while--but that was because of the laws actually prohibiting her from keeping him outside (which she found out later).

I am personally okay with basement/garage enclosures as long as the fox is okay with it. Keep in mind though, this takes TONS of work to clean. Mine are very well litter-trained, but it doesn't matter. Their fluff, urine, feces from marking get everywhere. So when I do clean it takes me about 2 hours.

Anyway, just something to keep in mind. If you were just asking about the panels, then yeah, the ones she used were dog panels. ;) I am using horse panels, and they are much cheaper, and sooooo strong.

Welcome to the board, by the way! And congratulations on getting your little one! Choosing Gizmo as a name will make things more confusing, lol--now we have a male and a female. But we can always say "he-Gizmo" or "she-Gizmo," haha. :lol:
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
ladyredfoxx

Postby ladyredfoxx » Tue May 12, 2015 6:33 am

do you have a link to the horse fencing you are talking about and yea its just when is hot or crappy out id like to keep her in at times.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 12, 2015 3:41 pm

will you have an outdoor enclosure for her?

at 6 weeks, it is important to keep her with you as much as you can.
when mine were young, I kept them in a large dog kennel, only when I was not here.

once they were old enough, they went into their outdoor enclosure. but, they have a room off the pen.(with a doggie door)
the room has a big exhaust fan to keep it cool. the outdoor enclosure has a roof on it,and lots of hiding places to go to.
I also let them in the house with me as much as I can. (since my days are always so hectic lately, they don't get as much time in the house with me icon-sad ) overall, most foxes enjoy the outdoors.

a care sheet if that will help you in anyway with other issues..
http://sybilsden.com/caresheet/fox.htm

welcome to the message board, hope to hear updates along with pictures..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 12, 2015 11:59 pm

Yeah, here they are:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/horse-fence-panel-5-ft-x-16-ft

VERY strong stuff. Real thick gauge, and it is DURABLE. This stuff is sturdy. I have all the pre-made panels sitting in my garage waiting to be put up, and they are TOUGH stuff. They have 2X4 inch holes, so keep in mind that a baby fox will probably be able to squirm through that--but you wouldn't have them outside at this time of their life anyway since you want them to bond to you.

I'm a bit peeved, because these JUST went down in price. Grr, should have "waited," lol.

:)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 13, 2015 12:01 am

Honestly, these panels would be able to contain ANY mammal as long as your framework (lumber) is strong and solidly in place. It's tougher than rebar, and we're going to use the left over pieces to make our front steps instead of rebar.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”