PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Where do you keep your new fox kits?

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where do you keep your new fox kits?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed May 13, 2015 2:41 am

Foxes must be bigger than I thought. Stewie ripped a bar off the x-pen once and the holes on there are 1.5x4 so he made a 3x4 hole and slipped out. Don't think I'd trust a 2x4 enough.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 13, 2015 3:54 pm

Really? Wow. That's crazy. The foxes when full grown definitely can't get through there--at least not reds. Ifrit is super tiny, but I really don't see a way for her to fit through. When she was little she squirmed right through the diamond opening in the chain link, but that was when she was very, very young.

I will definitely have to do some sort of "test run" before putting them out there. Fable can't fit through, but I'll see what Ifrit can manage. I may have to "double up" on the holes and make them 1 inch thick instead.

So the horse panels may not be a good recommendation for smaller species then. But like I said, Ifrit is very little, and I don't think she can fit through.

Obviously something like a fennec fox could though, lol. Greys, swifts, corsacs--I don't know about them. But I think you'd be safe with a red or arctic fox with the 2X4 mesh. When I said "could contain any mammal" I was picturing bigger species like wolves, cougars, that sort. Not small stuff.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed May 13, 2015 8:01 pm

Their weights are similar to fox I think. Pua 15 and Aurora 17 but my girls are a bit heavier than average and Aurora is just huge for a female and not really plump about it either. But they would still be smaller than a fox of the same weight since they are more muscular/bulkier, less lanky. But Thinking about it now it may be more of their difference in flexibility than size.

I always figured the perfect fencing for tamandua would be perforated metal. If black or a nice color would look pretty too. But of course expensive.
An example though not as an animal cage you can get the idea http://www.huijinmetalmesh.com/sell-183 ... fence.html

You can get it with really tiny holes too so you can still see through but they can't get their claws in but the smaller the holes the more expensive.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 13, 2015 10:02 pm

Lol, maybe tamandua aren't as big as I thought, and you thought foxes were too small. :lol:

I like that perforated stuff, but I can imagine it being super pricey. It'd be really cool to have one as a "walkway enclosure" and have lots of stuff above you with shelves and things for them to play on. I always think it would be cool to see anteaters "out and about," lol. I don't know how much space anteaters need, but have you considered buying any of the outdoor parrot caging at all (cages by design stuff)? Though I'm pretty sure those are really expensive too, but they may work well for anteaters or other animals that are arboreal and like to climb.

http://www.cagesbydesign.com/t-suncatcherbird.aspx

Oh, yeesh. Just looked at the price. Those are pretty darn expensive too.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 14, 2015 12:22 am

Anteaters actually really like to run when out(but would love climbing too) so I think they'd need something like the middle one on the front page there. I think being able to go out but only into a small one might be frustrating but maybe still more enjoyable than sitting by a window.

I'd need to do something fancy to make an enclosure they can go to on their own work here, even a small one. The back walk way goes right by my room wall so they'd need a bridge tunnel over and to an enclosure and would need to get ride of and move some things to make room. I'd love to get rid of the gazebo. No one wanted it but my dad. He seems to have an aversion to having any free space in the yard. If I were at the back of the house instead of the front it would be a lot easier. There's a bit of yard there that would be perfect but the rooms are just too tiny.

They do get out supervised if they get up at a decent hour but would love an enclosure. Someone posted a great one on FB the other day. Probably typical fox size but they had a bunch of big tree limbs crisscrossed for the critter(s) to climb. I was so impressed I forget what critter it was for.
ladyredfoxx

Postby ladyredfoxx » Thu May 14, 2015 5:53 am

Im sorry i should have reworded that! Gizmo(Gizzy) is inside 24/7 right now. I keep her with me when im home. she currently has a large dog cage to stay in when I'm not here. Im just pre-planning future housing for her. Thank you for the link and such.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”