ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Grays Indoors?

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Foxferi

Grays Indoors?

Postby Foxferi » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:48 pm

I'm sure this has been addresses before, but would it be possible to keep a gray fox indoors? I've seen a few people say it could be. I know most people recommend an enclosure, but if they had lots of walks and outdoor play time and an indoor space of their own, would they really need one? I won't be getting a fox for quite a few years, but I'm trying to decide which one I should anticipate getting. It's too hot down south where I live for an Arctic. I love reds, but if grays are friendlier and smell less, one of them might be better for me personally. Thank you for any advice. icon-smile
Kokoa

Re: Grays Indoors?

Postby Kokoa » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:50 pm

I think you should have a enclosure regardless. What if you come home late and your grey is left alone for hours? Your house could be trashed because your grey is so bored and just wants something to do.
Foxyjadda

Postby Foxyjadda » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Also Grays like to climb, I assume you can build little climbing towers in your house but a outdoor enclosure to its self would make it happy.
My pets
4 Turtles- Toyota, Root Beer, Calester and Hummer (they are all red eared sliders)
1 Cat- Egypt (some mixed breed)
1 Dog- Precious (Pekingese/Tibetan spaniel mix)
2 Mice-Brazil and California (Fancy mouse)
More to come hopefully!
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:58 pm

I remember one member on here was in a less than ideal living situation and had been living with her gray fox in the basement of a friend's house. It seems possible to keep them indoors, but like Foxyjadda said, they're climbing foxes, and will climb. That's the one thing I liked about my arctic fox, sometimes she could barely jump on her dog house, let alone climb up anything.
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:18 pm

Anyplace a cat can get to, a gray fox will easily be able to also access, so anything you don't want to fox to get into has to be put away where they can't get to.

The only way I'd ever keep Tribble inside for more than a few hours at this point is if i had durable(read: durable) hard floors(a good tile or something) and furniture that was easy to clean. In the six months she had total house access, she really didn't do much in the way of destruction, she chewed on cords and nicked interesting looking things that got left out. It was her marking that was annoying. That is in no way to imply another gray wouldn't be much more destructive than that though.

I do think grays can successfully and safely kept indoors, with certain criteria and if the gray's personality meshes with indoor life. I wouldn't buy a gray/red/arctic and not have the expectation of an outdoor enclosure, though.
Foxferi

Postby Foxferi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:10 pm

Thank you all for the replies and advice, It looks like I will have to make plans for an enclosure then ^~^ When it's time that is, which won't be for quite a while >< I adore Tribble by the way, I watch your videos on YouTube. She's beautiful and is one of the reasons I started looking into grays rather than reds ^~^

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”