ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

What morph is she???

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Arya0820

What morph is she???

Postby Arya0820 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi there! I'm new here, mostly because I get a ton of useful information from everyone and want to say thank you! Also, I have a question. We got our little vixen about 6 or 7 weeks ago and it has been such a pleasure to watch her grow! We are not sure though, what morph she is exactly. She's got a beige coat with specks of white, blue eyes, pink nose and pads. The exotic pet store we got her from has been NO help at all. So I figured you guys might have a suggestion!

Thanks a lot!

Sorry if the photo is awkward. It's the only way it would let me submit it from my phone. Better than nothing :)
Attachments
image.jpg
She's about 11 weeks old
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What morph is she???

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:33 pm

Maybe amber or cinnamon. I was thinking amber because of the pink nose though and it's lighter than most cinnamons.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:58 pm

Looks like a champagne to me. Almost certain of it.

Champagnes are a light beige/pink with pale blue eyes. Dave from Tiny Tracks sells them as do some fur farms in Canada. Not sure where the pet store got theirs, unless they bought it from a fur farm.

EDIT: Or as TG said, could also be amber. Does look awful close to an amber. Sometimes champagne and amber have been confused.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Arya0820

Postby Arya0820 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:23 pm

Thank you so much for your responses! We were thinking the same, either Amber or Champagne. I guess we won't be able to tell one or the other until shes older? Here's another picture of her full body. Maybe it'll help with the determination
Attachments
fox4.PNG
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:53 pm

I was thinking champagnes where lighter than that though she looks lighter in the outside photo than the inside one and rear lighter than the front.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:15 pm

It's got me a bit stumped. Champagnes (aka pink champagnes, aka pink foxes) can vary from almost white to a pretty rich beige color. Ambers can also vary a lot in their color, but they are generally mentioned as having green or brown eyes.

Here's what's believed to be a wild Amber fox, but even this fox is a bit darker than yours and the kit has golden eyes instead of blue.

I wonder if she could be a pink cross?
warning: picture of a pelt:
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Pink-Cross-Fox-402338802

But if that were the case then she'd have a more distinct "cross" to her rather than just having her entire head appear a bit darker than her hind quarters. :shrug:

If I had to guess, I'd say she is a very dark champagne/pink fox.

Where are you located, in the US, Canada, UK or?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:18 am

Dave's champagnes tend to be on the darker side, but they are definitely champagnes. The Canadian champagnes seem to be lighter than his. But his are still champagnes.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Arya0820

Postby Arya0820 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:19 am

Alynn wrote:Where are you located, in the US, Canada, UK or?

We are in sunny South Florida.

We have NO idea where she came from because the store REFUSES to give us ANY information on the breeder (other than they came from a farm in the midwest), but we DO know that she was the only one of her color that they had. The rest were reds and silvers. On her permit, they listed her as a silver :shrug: So, they really have been no help. We actually only got her by chance. They were keeping her in the back because another fox kit had tore her chest open at feed time, and we were trying to beat them up on their price so they brought her out on a $150 discount. Now, no scar, no nothing. Just questions on what she is icon-smile

Ash wrote:Dave's champagnes tend to be on the darker side, but they are definitely champagnes. The Canadian champagnes seem to be lighter than his. But his are still champagnes.

I have to check his foxes out.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:31 am

It's odd that you have a pet store of all places selling you a fox. From how unhelpful they've been, I would not recommend getting another fox from there if you do decide to get another fox one day. We also have another member located in Florida who got a fox kit from a pet store who was in unhealthy condition, I don't know if it's the same pet store or not.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7376&p=65052#p65052

Here's some pictures posted a few years back of some champagnes and ambers Dave had imported.

And here is a picture of the champagne fox kit, Daenerys, that one of our members got from Dave in 2013:
viewtopic.php?p=105700#p105700
Arya0820

Postby Arya0820 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:16 am

Alynn wrote:It's odd that you have a pet store of all places selling you a fox. From how unhelpful they've been, I would not recommend getting another fox from there if you do decide to get another fox one day. We also have another member located in Florida who got a fox kit from a pet store who was in unhealthy condition, I don't know if it's the same pet store or not.

It's an exotic pet store here in south Florida that gets all kinds of different species in. Their specialty is in reptiles, but mammals such as foxes, lemurs, hedgehogs, etc. do come in from time to time. Now, I've also heard some horror stories of their mammals going home sick or dying, mostly due to being surrounded with salmonella exposure from the reptiles. It's pretty unsettling. But they are the only place around here that gets these animals in. We got lucky with ours since she was still so small when we got her (4 weeks) and we were able to get her while her wound was fresh and clean her up and bring her back to health :) It's still upsetting now that they offered no help.

However, from what everyone is saying I'm guessing I'm coming to the conclusion of Champagne! Which is what we figured all along. Thanks so much! I will upload some more pics when I get to my laptop! Maybe then we all can confirm :)
Arya0820

Postby Arya0820 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:44 am

Sorry for all the pics, we have so many... These should give a good timeline and lots of angles to look at :)

This was the first day she came home

5-6 weeks old

8-9 weeks

10-11 weeks

This is her currently
EmilyGrace

Postby EmilyGrace » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:21 pm

The pet store sounds pretty disreputable, you can't assume they got her legally since they refuse to tell you anything. I'm glad you guys scooped her up, although I hope it wasn't a spur of the moment decision.

What an absolutely gorgeous fox. Those blue eyes and pink nose are so striking. Have you named her yet? How's her behavior? What are you feeding her? Please tell us all about your little girl. :)
Arya0820

Postby Arya0820 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:39 pm

EmilyGrace wrote:The pet store sounds pretty disreputable, you can't assume they got her legally since they refuse to tell you anything. I'm glad you guys scooped her up, although I hope it wasn't a spur of the moment decision.

What an absolutely gorgeous fox. Those blue eyes and pink nose are so striking. Have you named her yet? How's her behavior? What are you feeding her? Please tell us all about your little girl. :)

Thank you so much! That's what we were thinking about the store as well. They are nice people, but there's too many questions surrounding it, and their iffy reputation follows. But we are glad we got her too. She has definitely become the best pet we have EVER owned. As far as the decision to get her, once I found out they had gotten them in, I did my research. We went to look at them and decided to take a few hours to think about it at a Starbucks and do more research (which included a lot of me doing my best to convince my other half). We went back just before closing and left with our little vixen.

That was about 7 weeks ago, she has since been named Arya (from game of thrones, NOT pretty little liars! Lol). She's got a great personality! We have three cats and two big dogs and she has learned to be gentle with the small ones and that a little rough is okay with our big boys outside. She's super friendly with everyone and everything. We have taken her everywhere with us since the day she got home. If no one is home with her, she's not home. I take her to work with me, and we take her out with us wherever we go. She's got a little portable soft crate for places she needs to be put away that I carry on my shoulder like a duffle bag. So, she is very used to unfamiliar sights, sounds, and people. To top it off, she's a cuddler. She lives in the house with us, no crate or anything. Goes outside with our dogs to play. And uses our cats litter box when she needs to, other than when we are out which we give her access to a puppy pad at all times. She ate our cats kitten food for a couple weeks to start since we heard that taurine is very important, but we just made the switch over the past week or so to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Puppy Formula (what a mouthful). I did some research and that seemed like the next best thing to raw. Of course, she gets an assortment of fruits and veggies every day, most of the time they're fresh, but sometimes I've found the fruit baby food is easier to just mix in her food. And of course she still gets ahold of a few bites of their kitten food when she's sneaky enough.

She's just been an absolute joy. I could brag and tell about her for DAYS, so thank you for asking and giving me an excuse to!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:52 pm

It was the ones people got at a FL pet store that had the rear end problems last year. It cleared up with good diet/time. I wish I could find the info that said that's caused by diet in young foxes but I didn't remember where I saw that. Just thought I'd mention it as if she has mild rear end weakness or bunny hops it should clear up though consulting a vet is always a good idea just in case but their vets didn't find any specific problem. But it might be fine since you got her before they had her long if it was caused by store diet and not breeder.

She's very pretty.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:59 pm

From the other pictures you've posted, especially based on how she looked as a baby, I'd say that she's actually an Amber. Those two photos you posted were a bit iffy, but with the rest I'd personally put my vote on a paler Amber fox rather than a dark champagne.

Glad to hear things are going well with her! Game of Thrones is a favorite show of mine, and it seems we have a few different GoT named foxes in the community now - Daenerys, Nymeria, Sansa, and now Arya! :lol:

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”