PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Mating Behaviors?

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mating Behaviors?

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:21 am

Ifrit is currently in heat--pretty positive. She's been licking herself "down there" a lot, and she never does that regularly, so that's why I'm assuming. Could be wrong, but it's the perfect time of year.

Do female foxes ever try to instigate mating with a male? I catch Ifrit humping Fable, and she really grabs on tight--and then bites the back of his neck to hold on.

I can't see her getting anywhere with that, seeing as that isn't a position a female fox will have success with, lol. I know males do this exact same behavior though, so I thought it was really weird to see Ifrit doing it.

Thoughts? She just being silly and dumb again? Or is she really trying to encourage him to mate with her? She's also been very submissive to him lately--running over and flopping down and wagging her tail and squeaking.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Re: Mating Behaviors?

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:26 pm

Not that I have any experience with foxes in heat, but I know dogs in heat do the same thing. Back when I was in high school shortly after our family dog was put to sleep from bone cancer, my brother brought home a black dog that he almost hit in the dark at night and we ended up keeping it after looking for it's owners.

After we got him fixed, we started looking for a play buddy for him, and my mother ended up deciding to get a Leonberger. She vacillated on whether to breed her or not, so we kept her intact until she was almost 2. She would do the same thing to the dog my brother found when she was in heat. She still does it sometimes even though she's fixed now, though I think that's more out of dominance than anything.

My rats also like to hump each other when they are in heat, so it seems to be a fairly common thing. Or at least, in my experience it has been.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:20 pm

Interesting. I wish Fable would at least reciprocate for her. She clearly wants it.

Foxes aren't in heat that long, so probably in just a few days from now the behavior will stop. Makes me wish I had a fox to breed her to, or who would at least give her practice. She still seems too crazy to be a mommy fox--maybe if she had a litter she'd at least calm down some since she'd have to nurse.

I have my fingers crossed (just being silly) that Fable's neuter went wrong, lol, even though it didn't. There's no real way to make a mistake, lol, and I was able to watch it be done.

Or maybe Ifrit will be the first mammal to go through parthogenesis, haha.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:24 pm

If you have the first mammal to go through partheogenesis, I want one of the offspring! :lol:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:15 pm

BlueBaby1023 wrote:If you have the first mammal to go through partheogenesis, I want one of the offspring! :lol:

Okey-dokey, lol. :lol:
Daisy

Postby Daisy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Ash when She is riding Him it means She is about 5-7 days from being totally ready . Next He will try Her and She will resist or play hard to get for about a day or two . When She is ready He will know .
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:10 pm

Daisy wrote:Ash when She is riding Him it means She is about 5-7 days from being totally ready . Next He will try Her and She will resist or play hard to get for about a day or two . When She is ready He will know .

Thank-you, Dave. Unfortunately, there won't be any kits since Fable was neutered. I will be anxious to see how Fable responds to her in the next few days now.
Daisy

Postby Daisy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:31 am

Oh ...If He is fixed that's why He is jealous of Her . They will never get along any better than they do right now . She is actually making fun of Him . She will always want to dominate and bully Him then . That explains a lot to me . I did not know He was not still intact .
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:15 pm

Daisy wrote:Oh ...If He is fixed that's why He is jealous of Her . They will never get along any better than they do right now . She is actually making fun of Him . She will always want to dominate and bully Him then . That explains a lot to me . I did not know He was not still intact .

The state made me neuter him. It was one of the conditions when I got the license for him. :( He is so darn fluffy and BIG, and I would have loved to see what his kits looked like--if they were as fluffy as him, since he's fluffy year-round. When Ifrit was just a kit, he was very "fatherly" to her. He brought her food, toys, treats, and everything to make sure she was happy. It was very cute. So I can just imagine how good of a father fox he would have been to his own kits. Maybe he can help me out in the future with that, lol.

She IS a little bully, Dave, lol. I remember the day you handed her to me along with her sister. You told me: "Keep this one, her sister is crazy." But it turned out the opposite. :lol: Ifrit is insane. I've worked with 7 foxes (my 2, and 5 where I interned), and none of them were EVER this crazy and hyper. She is truly an endless ball of energy, but I'd have it no other way.

I have ordered all the parts for the outdoor enclosure, and it'll start going up first week of April. I'm making a 15X32 enclosure, with a height of 7.5 feet--10 feet, due to the slope of the ground. I'll have to take pictures when we start--I didn't realize how soon April was coming up. But I am planning on keeping them separated. Fable is purely miserable, lol. I feel bad for the poor guy.

I'm hoping to breed Ifrit winter 2015, but I currently do not have a mate for her, obviously. So time will tell. I put all my money towards my perimeter fence (for USDA) and then to this fox enclosure, so I don't have anything left over for kit season. I'm hoping a good, well-socialized, healthy intact male fox will come up for rehoming in Utah later this year that I could possibly breed her to. But I don't want it to be some random fox--I'm interested in producing specific colors, so I don't want to settle for "less," if that makes sense. So it has to be the right fox.

But in 2016, I am certainly planning to come back to the Midwest to buy a few more kits from you. ;) You won't be getting rid of me that easily, lol.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”