PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Crossing species?

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Sammy

Crossing species?

Postby Sammy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:14 pm

I'm just curious, but what happens when you cross a red-type fox and arctic fox? Can they reproduce very successfully? And can those kits reproduce successfully with a fox of the same genetic makeup?

I read somewhere that it wouldn't be likely for an arctic/ red-type pair to have many healthy kits, that most of the kits would either be born undeveloped or just not produced at all. Is this true? I'm not really sure how different their genetic makeup is...

Again, just something I was wondering about :mrgreen:
Alynn

Re: Crossing species?

Postby Alynn » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:28 pm

Arctic and red fox hybrids are possible but it's very rare, and even more rare in the pet trade.

There's been rare anecdotes of arctics and reds breeding when housed together, and a lot of clueless exotic breeders try and do this, but it doesn't work.

The only way to really get hybrids is through artificial insemination.

The litter size is not decreased, it's actually a middle of the road size between the arctic and the red, and the litter size will favor the mother, so usually fur farmers would use the arctic as a mother so they could get a larger litter size.

The only pet breeder who does AI for hybrids is Tiny Tracks. They did it one year, but haven't done it since and will not do it unless enough people express genuine interest.

The kits born are perfectly healthy by all accounts, but hybrids of red and arctics are sterile.
Sammy

Re: Crossing species?

Postby Sammy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply. That's one more thing I know that I didn't before :)

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”