PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Let's see those enclosures!

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

KaitouCat

Let's see those enclosures!

Postby KaitouCat » Fri May 15, 2015 7:18 am

Looking for some ideas for a future enclosure so post photos of your foxy friends enclosures!
I've also started scouting out materials and am looking at some sturdy looking fencing but not sure if there might be some cheaper alternatives? Not trying to be a cheapskate, just curious.
Some materials I was looking at.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Leopard geckos 3.4 Ball pythons 1.1 Cats 1.2 Fox 1.0
The Household Geckos Tumblr
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Let's see those enclosures!

Postby Ash » Fri May 15, 2015 11:45 pm

In my experience, chain link if just bought in panels from a hardware store is no good. Both of my foxes have been able to twist and pull and jerk and take apart the panels. It was so weird. My foxes have the chain link enclosure in their garage so they can ran around it, go inside, go on top, but I went out the other day to have a nut... a bolt... and two clasps laying on the floor. Ifrit--don't ask me how--just decided to take that part off.

Mine will also bite through some of the wiring toward the bottom or twist it to the point it breaks. My dad didn't believe me, but I kept the pieces to show him and when he came out, he was like, "Good grief..."

Maybe that's just my two babies though, lol. Others have used chain link and been okay.

I will post pictures of my outdoor enclosure. It is done--but not assembled (if that makes sense). Hopefully I can get around to it soon so I can let you see what it looks like. :) I'm really excited for it to go up.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Sat May 16, 2015 7:04 am

Well actually it's hard to tell but the bottom picture is actually just a roll of chain link fence, not a panel. If chain link is no good though, might there be other recommendations? Although this is pretty much all lowes had in terms of metal fencing other than fencing that obviously looked to weak. I'm guessing some sort of tractor/farm supply store maybe?
dragonking

Postby dragonking » Sat May 16, 2015 9:37 am

Horse panels are usually recommended. You can even put a foot or two of plexiglass almong the bottom outside of the cage. This will prevent small animals getting in and larger animals from being able to interact with your fox.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat May 16, 2015 12:21 pm

Tractor Supply sells a lot of really nice stuff. Actually, Alynn posted a picture of the fox enclosure at the facility she volunteers at, and it was definitely the horse panels from TSC.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Sun May 17, 2015 8:11 pm

Alright I'll be sure to take a look into that! Just need to find some measuring tape that's actually long enough to properly measure the area I'd be putting the enclosure. All the ones laying around the house don't go past 8feet which isn't long enough to get a proper measurement.
dragonking

Postby dragonking » Mon May 18, 2015 12:12 am

Cheat, use string to mark the area, then just measure the string.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon May 18, 2015 12:57 pm

I used the dog kennels. they come in different grades, I have the better grade.
I bought a 10x10 dog kennel and put it against the house, it makes a 10x20 enclosure.
I also put chicken wire over that. the enclosure also has a roof with corrugated fiberglass panels.
a tower at the top and a doggie door to come in their room.

another suggestion is to try and keep the enclosure as close to your house as possible.(for security reasons)
Attachments
pen7.jpg
pen4.jpg
pen6.jpg
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon May 18, 2015 12:58 pm

ash,

ash, I am shocked your little darlings were able to escape their enclosure. guess they worked together on the great escape. :lol:

KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Mon May 18, 2015 6:57 pm

Well seems the tractor supply stores around here don't have the horse fence panels but they did have some "professional kennels". They are however, are able to do shipping to store locations so getting the panels is still a possibility.

I also picked up some measuring tape that goes farther than a meager 8feet and the first part of the enclosure is about 144x78 and the second part is 153x129
Total length required? About 46 feet. [We plan on having it up against our house like you did with yours Pat.] I'm not 100% positive on these numbers as I had a bit of trouble with the string when measuring the outer perimeter due to grass. At a later date I may request assistance with holding the string off the ground for what will hopefully be a more accurate measurement but at the moment there is no rush.

^Example of planned placement of fencing. Not sure where to go with height though and this at least gives a ballpark idea of how much space/fencing will be required.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 19, 2015 10:34 am

the height should be minimum of 6ft. you will also need to put a bottom. I have chain link on the bottom of mine.
I wish I would have dug a little bit to put the chain link more in the dirt, but, I had to get it up quickly.
I put straw, wood chips on bottom. however, in time, dirt did surface through the bottom.

a top should be put on, even if it is chain link. you really should have some shade for them, or at least some shade.
we replaced our top panels last year. we put some darker colors, and a couple clear panels for some sunlight.

to be honest, I think lowes prices is cheaper for chainlink kennels than tsc. (not sure if you have a lowes nearby)
keep watching for sales on both tsc and lowes for chainlink. also, there are a couple different grades of fencing, so try and get the better grade.

the reason I mentioned about putting the kennel as close to your house as possible, is it should help a bit with
predators (including people) the chicken wire or another roll of smaller fence around the pen will help with any possible predators,
or anything smaller getting in their pen. I have heard too many horror stories with some fox owners. I just do what I can to keep them safe.
I live in a rural area, surrounded by corn fields. last summer, some idiot opened the door to the bear pen :roll: my bears got out later,
but, I have fence also around my property. I now have a lock on that door.

then one of the members here had a russian fox, something (she was not sure what) managed to pull her foxes leg through the fence.
the poor fox bled to death. then there are fox owners where some jerks stole their fox, released their fox.
there are people out there that just seem to think we should not own these type of animals.

anyway, so glad to hear you are thinking and planning ahead. it will pay off for you when you get your baby.

KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Tue May 19, 2015 11:20 am

Well people are saying to go with the horse panels so that's what I'm mostly looking at for the moment but others may be considered. I'm just worried that while not all foxes will escape from chainlink, it just feels better to be safe than sorry. Also I have a Lowes nearby, that's where I went first to look at fencing.[Refer to top images]. Tractor Supply though does seem to have some fencing as well which I actually took photos of. 1, 2.

As for roofing and secondary fencing that's still being planned and as for the flooring, half of the area is concrete currently and we plan on likely covering the other portion as well. Would fencing on the bottom be necessary if the flooring is already concrete? [Of course we'd put down bedding and provide something with dirt in it for them to dig in] Also as for the shade, that will be covered as well and luckily that area of the yard is really only exposed to the sun during the mid-day hours.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Tractor Supply can raincheck them for you. That's what I had to do. Just find their service desk, tell them how many you think you'll need/want, and they'll order them in. You don't need to pay for them to be delivered to the store; TSC doesn't do home deliveries though, so you will need a big huge truck or even have to rent a van to get them back to your place though. Once the panels get to the store, you THEN can choose to buy (you're not locked into anything). I rainchecked 18 panels, but wound up buying only 15. And so the store kept the other 3 to sell.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Hey I know it's been awhile, was busy with another job but recently quit due to conflicting hours with the first job.

Anyways had another question, since I'm not really good with construction knowledge of anything, how might one connect the horse panels together effectively? Although at this point in time I am considering just going with Pats suggestion because of this reason. It would be vastly easier and I feel that a secondary fencing should help prevent any escape attempts. Possibly even plexiglass around the bottom area if that was possible? That would also ensure that if a wild animal were to approach the cage they couldn't have direct contact with one another and would keep foxy from chewing on the bars.

If the horse panels are still more recommended however I'll stick to it.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:19 pm

I thought plexiglass was a good idea, but the way my enclosure's foundation is, I won't need it except maybe on one side.

To connect the horse panels, we used strong, galvanized wire. We "roped" them together with the wire and then twisted with pliers until it was super tight. I thought it wouldn't look nice, but it actually turned out REALLY good.

My enclosure should be finished by the end of next week. :) So then I'm going to make a post with lots of pictures and explain how we did everything.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”