PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Cleaning and coon trouble

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Whisper

Cleaning and coon trouble

Postby Whisper » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:07 pm

I've probably been posting way to much, but I finally figured out a system I can use for cleaning till I get him a little litter trained, and it would be great if you guys had any ideas on odor control.
His enclosure is dirt, covered with wood chips, so every week I rake the top layer of, and cover it with new chips. I made him a water proof bed that I can wash off so it won't stink. While I was doing this, I found the key to his enclosure in some branches :roll:

I love raccoons, but there is one that has been getting into our garbage for the last couple years, and is now trying to get Zorro's food. I tried setting a trap, but i can't catch it. Ugh. I know there's not much I can do, but I don't want him getting hurt or sick.
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cleaning and coon trouble

Postby pat » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:11 pm

Whisper wrote:I've probably been posting way to much, but I finally figured out a system I can use for cleaning till I get him a little litter trained, and it would be great if you guys had any ideas on odor control.
His enclosure is dirt, covered with wood chips, so every week I rake the top layer of, and cover it with new chips. I made him a water proof bed that I can wash off so it won't stink. While I was doing this, I found the key to his enclosure in some branches :roll:

I love raccoons, but there is one that has been getting into our garbage for the last couple years, and is now trying to get Zorro's food. I tried setting a trap, but i can't catch it. Ugh. I know there's not much I can do, but I don't want him getting hurt or sick.

sorry for taking so long to reply. I have alot going on right now.

what are you cleaning? floors? litter pans? somthing other than the wood chips I assume.

for cleaning, I found that if you mix vinegar, baking soda and some odor destroyer (from sams club). or a little dish soap.
don't know if you ever used the combo of vinegar and baking soda, but, you will have to put add the baking soda, then the vinegar. (make sure you sue a something big to mix it in) it will foam up, but, will then stop.
I usually make the mix, then put it a spray bottle, (that is what I use to clean their litter pans)

vinegar is really good for destroying odor. even if you mix it in a pet safe cleaning solvent.
it also helps to keep flys down.

as for the raccoon, can you put a have-hart-trap? then you will have to relocate him.
do you have dogs? can you post a picture of zorro's pen?

you are not posting too much, never worry about that. the more the better..
many of us get pretty busy,and we don't always answer right away. (thats the joys of having animals) :lol:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:51 pm

Sorry, I was vague about the cleaning. I am cleaning out zorrs litter pan, despite the fact that it seems to be the last place he wants to go. I also have a large dog carrier until I make a dog house, but he is pretty good about keeping that clean, surprisingly. I'll try to post a picture of his enclosure in the next day or to, but I've been pretty busy. I'm using a hav a heart trap now, I would never want to hurt it, but I think it must have gotten trapped before or something, cause no matter what bate I use (bacon fat, peanut butter, bird seed) she won't get it. The raccoon is prettiness old, and I'm sure has quite a bit of experience in people trying to hunt it, considering the fact it has no tail. It is also the source of multiple babies. (I don't own any dogs, which is a good thing right now, as zorr is very demanding.)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:35 am

you can mix a combo of what I mentioned above, put it in a spray bottle. then spray and wipe.
sometimes I take my inside litter pans outside to spray them with a hose (I spray the cleaner mix before and after I clean ithem with a hose)
I already have a hose in their enclosure, so it makes clean up easier for me to clean the enclosure ones.

try using more than one litter pan. I line mine with newspaper first (after the pans are dry) then put a thin layer of kitty litter.
I have more litter pans than I have foxes/coons. also, I use large pans. some foxes do better with large litter pans.
I use the cement mixing pans. (cheaper too)
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:42 pm

Okay, how often do you clean your pans? Every day?
I put a old shelf with nine different cubbies in his enclosure that I didn't need anymore, so now I have another thing to clean. I think I'll try putting in a pan that covers the front of his enclosure, as he goes almost exclusively there.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”