PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Cinnamon, Amber, or Something Else?

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cinnamon, Amber, or Something Else?

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:22 am

Looking again, I think they may both be cross foxes.... Someone on here (can't remember their username) had a very light-colored cross fox that I was positive was a red at first and second glance. But the fox came from a reputable breeder (Tiny Tracks) and he confirmed it was a cross.

So the red, light-colored fox may not have much black like a regular cross fox, but maybe it's made up for in the amount of silver hairs. And maybe that's why its back and tail are so light?? I wish I remember who the member was. I'll have to look and find pictures of her fox to compare. It was a couple years ago though. So I'd guess gold cross--although gold and red are very hard to tell apart (well, it is for me, lol; it doesn't seem as hard when you're looking at perfect examples in the fur book; but when you're trying to ID a gold vs red, I think it's pretty hard to do since there is so much variability).

The dark one is definitely a cross fox, but with lots of blacks. Those red parts will probably lighten up and turn a buff color with age. I really like it, and I would like to see more pictures of it when older; I'll bet it will be beautiful. I thought Fable had a lot of black, but that one in the picture takes the cake.

I too was thinking the fire factor might have played in here somewhere, but I don't think so; it's a rarer gene anyway, and as Alynn said, if the parents didn't carry the fire factor, then these guys won't either. But if the parents did have the fire factor though, then that could have explained the lighter/faded colors where prominent reds should have been. But since we know the colors of the parents, that's no longer a realistic guess.

So from my observations, I'm guessing cross on them--and their coloring is just at both extremes of the spectrum. So gold cross and a really dark silver cross. But Alynn could be just as right too with the gold just being a gold. I'm positive though that the dark one is a cross. He looks a lot like Fable did when Fable was younger (though Fable had more buff color on him).

11 kits.... :shock: That poor mom!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TooManyPets

Postby TooManyPets » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:13 am

Hey my baby!! Glad they are doing well wiggles.

Ash, the extremely dark cross is my boy Bishop. I posted a thread with a bunch of photos a while ago. They are extremes of the dark spectrum and as they have been aging they have been getting small tufts of lighter fur, which has slowly becoming brown. Wiggles is caring for them while im out of the country.
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:28 pm

Ash wrote:Looking again, I think they may both be cross foxes.... Someone on here (can't remember their username) had a very light-colored cross fox that I was positive was a red at first and second glance. But the fox came from a reputable breeder (Tiny Tracks) and he confirmed it was a cross.

So the red, light-colored fox may not have much black like a regular cross fox, but maybe it's made up for in the amount of silver hairs. And maybe that's why its back and tail are so light?? I wish I remember who the member was. I'll have to look and find pictures of her fox to compare. It was a couple years ago though. So I'd guess gold cross--although gold and red are very hard to tell apart (well, it is for me, lol; it doesn't seem as hard when you're looking at perfect examples in the fur book; but when you're trying to ID a gold vs red, I think it's pretty hard to do since there is so much variability).

The dark one is definitely a cross fox, but with lots of blacks. Those red parts will probably lighten up and turn a buff color with age. I really like it, and I would like to see more pictures of it when older; I'll bet it will be beautiful. I thought Fable had a lot of black, but that one in the picture takes the cake.

I too was thinking the fire factor might have played in here somewhere, but I don't think so; it's a rarer gene anyway, and as Alynn said, if the parents didn't carry the fire factor, then these guys won't either. But if the parents did have the fire factor though, then that could have explained the lighter/faded colors where prominent reds should have been. But since we know the colors of the parents, that's no longer a realistic guess.

So from my observations, I'm guessing cross on them--and their coloring is just at both extremes of the spectrum. So gold cross and a really dark silver cross. But Alynn could be just as right too with the gold just being a gold. I'm positive though that the dark one is a cross. He looks a lot like Fable did when Fable was younger (though Fable had more buff color on him).

11 kits.... :shock: That poor mom!

I was finally able to get pictures of the female. She's even darker than the male!
Slyy 1.jpg
Slyy 2.jpg
Slyy 3.jpg
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:05 pm

Here's some pictures from today of the burgundy (?) female.

She keeps getting lighter & lighter, and she also is developing more silver/white hairs. Her eyes are yellow by the way; they were blue when my buddy got her then changed as she aged.
Attachments
Kimi 3.jpg
Kimi 2.jpg
Kimi 4.jpg
Kimi & Chandler.jpg
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:44 pm

I like the burgundy's chocolate-color. Usually they have a redder tinge, but there is variability within the different fox color morphs. So might just be on the lighter side. She's very pretty. I'd love a fox that color. :)

All foxes will get the silver/white guard hairs as they age. That's why young silver foxes start off jet-black and then get lots of silver later. It happened with Fable too--lots of black, and then lots of silver popping up in the blacks.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Violet

Postby Violet » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:56 pm

I just wanted to pop in and say I got my Roulette from David Keener as well. I saw those particular kits when they were just itty bitty little things. Kinda kicking myself now for not getting one. Yours is certainly a beauty! I do recall he was quite surprised when he saw them, and didn't know what color they were. The kits weren't intentionally bred for that color. At least, that is what he told me.
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:39 am

Violet wrote:I just wanted to pop in and say I got my Roulette from David Keener as well. I saw those particular kits when they were just itty bitty little things. Kinda kicking myself now for not getting one. Yours is certainly a beauty! I do recall he was quite surprised when he saw them, and didn't know what color they were. The kits weren't intentionally bred for that color. At least, that is what he told me.

What color morph is Roulette? We're still trying to determine what the genetics are on that particular litter.
TooManyPets

Postby TooManyPets » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:51 am

http://imgur.com/njhIn02
This is the male that Wiggles posted earlier. No red now
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:36 pm

A bit late also, but if that brown female has yellow eyes, it's more likely she is a burgundy. Ambers tend to have green eyes, and pastel foxes are uncommon enough that I don't know if I've seen any confirmed pastels in the pet trade.
TooManyPets

Postby TooManyPets » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:35 pm

She has yellow/brown eyes. She is a STUNNER now

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”