PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Might be time to rehome the male...

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lupercus

Might be time to rehome the male...

Postby Lupercus » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:56 am

I am considering looking into a new home for Shadow, my male red.

He's a little over two now and has sired two litters with Foxy-fox. Sadly neither litter survived. He can be affectionate, but he is defiantly the most skittish of the two and will hide and stay away when it comes time to return to his enclosure. This isn't a huge issue if you have two people working together you can handle the problem with relatively low stress for the critter, but with my living alone that is a problem.

He also seems a lot thinner and a bit bigger than Foxy despite having similar food rations. He normally looks pretty scraggly in the summer but his coat does not seem to be doing as well as Foxy right now. I think he is more stressed than the very adaptable vixen. I'd like to get him into the vet just for a check up, but it will be a couple weeks before I get him in and sadly the vet isn't really experienced with normal healthy foxes.

Having the pair together all the time makes it very hard to train one or the other. They have been together since they were little white balls of fluff so I don't undertake separating them lightly, but I do feel that I would be much more successful with fewer foxes in my care and I feel the female would make a good choice for a exhibitor candidate. Thus, it might be time to find Shadow a better home than I am able to provide him. :(
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Might be time to rehome the male...

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:24 pm

I'm sorry. :( It's always hard when it seems like it might be time to rehome a pet... It's never an easy decision.

Could you post some pictures of Shadow? Why do you think there is something wrong with his coat? My little red has the scraggliest coat ever right now, and my male's coat always stays very thick and silky despite them both being fed the exact same diet. It doesn't mean there's something wrong with her. She just doesn't have as fluffy of a summer coat.

Also sorry to hear about the litters. Do you know what the problem was? Did the mom kill the babies? Or did she just not take care of them? Stress of any kind could be a reason. If there were some bad storms when she had them, if there were loud noises, etc.

Hopefully everything will turn out okay for you and your foxes. I know how much you care about them, and you went through so much to acquire and keep them.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:55 am

Shadow, not the rope like tail and long scrawn appearance, coupled with overall difficulty to get a non blurred fox picture.
Attachments
Web1.jpg
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:01 am

2, 3, 4, 5 Shadow-Fox and
Attachments
Web5.jpg
Web4.jpg
Web3.jpg
Web2.jpg
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:03 am

#6 Foxy-Fox the vixen. Note the short round appearance with fuller coat a fuller haunches. Pudgy compared to him. Her tail also looks bushy.

As with all foxy photos this one has been sponsored by blurry photography.
Attachments
Web6.jpg
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:34 pm

As with all foxy photos this one has been sponsored by blurry photography.

:lol: :lol: Love that comment!

He looks normal to me. Ifrit looks "worse." Her tail IS a rope, lol. I would not worry too much about it. Just make sure he's eating good and getting taurine. :)

My phone is full, but I will try to take a pic of her to show you what she looks like. It'll probably be reassuring. I personally LOVE it when they get their "scrag" coats during the summer, lol, but that's probably because Fable is fluffy year-round. I like that Ifrit has the more typical summer coat.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”