ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Warmth

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Whisper

Warmth

Postby Whisper » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:54 am

It's been getting down to 13 degrees where I live, and I am kind of worried about zorr. Am I just paranoid? He has a insulated plastic box he goes in, it is a box with a hole on top, and then another box on top of it with a hole on the side, so he can go in that hole, and down the into the other box. Will that keep him warm enough? I put fleece in, but he just takes it out, and I ordered some bedding hay, but I won't get it for a few days. I also have some boards blocking off parts of the enclosure so he won't be blown at by wind all the time.
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Warmth

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:25 pm

Put a thermometer in with him and check how the temp is when he has had time to warm it up from being in there awhile.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:22 pm

Whisper wrote:It's been getting down to 13 degrees where I live, and I am kind of worried about zorr. Am I just paranoid? He has a insulated plastic box he goes in, it is a box with a hole on top, and then another box on top of it with a hole on the side, so he can go in that hole, and down the into the other box. Will that keep him warm enough? I put fleece in, but he just takes it out, and I ordered some bedding hay, but I won't get it for a few days. I also have some boards blocking off parts of the enclosure so he won't be blown at by wind all the time.

My two have an insulated den box they can go into if they want. But they choose not to go inside. Like ever, lol. It's been 7 degrees sometimes too, but they don't seem bothered. They don't care if they're snowed on or not.

My guess is your fox will be okay as long as you give it a warm place to go if it chooses to.

I remember even when my foxes lived in the garage last winter sometimes they would choose to sleep on the cold cement floor. :roll: They had warmer spots, but they would be on the concrete.

Their fluffy coat keeps them warm, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:50 pm

foxes can endure the cold temps. I have seen mine nap on ice :roll:
however, sometimes they hang out in their room. not sure if they are cold, but, I doubt it.

some straw or hay should help. actually, my foxes love hay. I put bales in their enclosure to lay on or play.
they roll around in it. I keep the bales year round.

another suggestion, (which I plan on trying for my other outdoor animals) is using a small tire, or whatever else you can find.
line it with straw, then set the water dish in it. from what I heard, it is suppose to keep the water from freezing.
I use ss buckets, which is tall so they don't mark in it.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:04 pm

thanks for the replies! The water tire is a good idea, I will have to find a small tire. I guess I should probably stop thinking how I would feel :P
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:36 am

foxes have nice heavy coats. so they do keep warmer than humans.

long time ago, I use to run a karoscene heater. my oldest fox would lay in front of it, he got so close,
I was worried he would burn up. weird though, cause foxes seem to like the cold.

I want to try the straw lined dished too. just didn't get to it yet.

most places that sell tires, usually have used ones that they need to get rid of.
call a couple places and see if they have any ones. I would think there places that have small tires.

let me know how it works out. if I get mine done, I will let you know.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”