PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Breeding season whoes

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Breeding season whoes

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 02, 2016 3:42 pm

Thank you. That's very interesting. I had a male tamandua here at one time who was willing to give me samples during play. I can tell the week my girls come into heat from behaviors but not when exactly. My attempts to AI turkey baster style, with a pipette, failed due to not knowing how to properly handle the semen at the time and he was on loan and only here long enough to try the one cycle. There's no real penetration with tamandua so not handling the semen right was my only really problem.

The light cycles may be why tamandua kept in the USA have shorter cycles than in South America.
foxbreeder4523

Postby foxbreeder4523 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:03 pm

Ash wrote:Thank you for the information. That is very interesting. I really would like to have experience at a farm.

There was a farming website that had a lot of visual guides to AI-ing foxes, and it was very informative and helpful. I can't remember the site though unfortunately. I'm sure I could find it if I searched though. You may know the site I'm referring to maybe.

I have noticed more and more how light cycles affect all animals. Reptiles, to mammals. Foxes kept indoors do not shed properly--it's like their fur is confused, lol. Once my foxes were put outdoors where they belonged, I noticed that their fur growth and loss was much more regular and uniform.

Learning to A.I. with the norwegian catheter, the best method can be really hard to learn. It takes some, several years to feel confident with the technique. Manuevering the catheter or needle as we call it, through the cervix is not an easy task to perform initially. Over time it does become easy.

You suspend the vixen with a handling tong around the neck and tie up the tail, so all 4 feet are off the ground. Most have no problem being situated like this. Some will fight the position. Restraining their back legs, then feeling under their belly for their cervix and controlling the guide tube/catheter thats inserted in the vagina, and doing this all in sync takes experience.

A hobby breeder for the pet trade, it's probably not necessary to learn. A fox farmer who is breeding 50 or more (hundreds) of vixens, and using his best of the best males it's an essential endeavor in my opinion.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon May 02, 2016 6:55 pm

Wow, I didn't realize how complicated it was. Yeah, probably not the best way for a pet breeder. Dave at Tiny Tracks used to farm, but now he sells his foxes primarily as pets. So he still keeps up the AI. He has the most varied color collection of any pet breeder.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”