PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Foxy had kits!

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lupercus

Foxy had kits!

Postby Lupercus » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:16 pm

I counted 5 healthy mewling kits. This is her 3rd litter and so for the only one to make it.

She was nesting but spooked when I brought in food and bedding to the enclosure and moved 3 of them. I am very nervous.

I don't want to pull them from her, especially since I had the book with my formula recipe stolen. Though given the past record I'm very nervous. I am giving them space right now and will check back this evening. *worried Lup is worried*
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Foxy had kits!

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:13 pm

You might want to get a signature stating your animals. I had to find your old posts to see what kind of fox you have. Normally with a history of more than one litter killed you should pull but I understand the hesitation. Losing the first is kind of common and sometimes they figure things out after a time or two so this will be kind of the make or break litter on if she ever "gets it". You can just buy some cat or dog formula as an emergency measure if you do have to pull then order the fox formula but you'll want to order it anyway since you'll have to use it eventually if they do make it.
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:36 am

Blast it. I decided poorly. She buried the pups to hide them. :(

She keeps calling for them so I don't think she understands.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:54 am

I'm sorry. :( That's so sad. Breeding exotics can be really hard sometimes...

Around their enclosure was there anything that would have been stressful to her? Maybe cars? Busy, loud neighbors?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:13 am

I don't think so. Everything seemed fine and she was nesting till my helper brought in a bale of fresh cedar chips and was opening the bundle. That set her off.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Sounds like that could be the reason then. She might just stress over anything and everything different.

If she has gone this many years producing kits, but not keeping her litter alive, it might just be that she's not cut out to be a mommy fox... :shrug: Breeders will typically spay females like this or stop breeding them so the "bad mommy genes" are not passed on.

I know with fennecs, this is the primary reason captive-born babies often do not survive the first few weeks--bad mommy genes get passed on, and now almost all captive-bred fennecs have those problems too.

Poor Foxy. It's not her fault. She was just operating with instinct. It's sad she's still calling for her babies..

The website "Fox Valley Nutrition" will ship fox formula overnight to you. This is where most breeders get their formula as well as rehabbers. I got my formula from them when I was first bringing my foxes home from the breeder, so that I could mix their food with it. Very great service. They get it to you ASAP. I was shocked at how fast it arrived at my door step.

http://www.foxvalleynutrition.com/
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:28 pm

Aye, saddly true Ash.

I think it is time to give them up. I have been under a lot of pressure from coworkers and friends to do so. I got quite a bit of grief about the last two litters not making it. I'm handling things better this year, but I don't think I can go through all of this again.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:34 pm

Lupercus wrote:Aye, saddly true Ash.

I think it is time to give them up. I have been under a lot of pressure from coworkers and friends to do so. I got quite a bit of grief about the last two litters not making it. I'm handling things better this year, but I don't think I can go through all of this again.

Oh, no. I'm sorry your friends and family are on you about it. Don't feel bad about the litters not making it--that's just how it goes sometimes. She may not be cut out for a mommy, but that doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong.

If you do think your foxies need a new home, let the board know. I really hope it doesn't come to that, but please let us know if it does, and maybe someone can help. Since you're in Idaho and you got very special permission to have them imported, there may be some eager individuals looking for a pet fox or two. There's no breeders in the state, and none can be imported, so I'm sure there would be someone excited for them.

That's not saying to give up yet though. Maybe tell your coworkers that you sold your foxes, and then probably they'll stop giving you grief about it. If they don't know about them, then they can't complain about them. I remember you said they complained about the smell on your clothes, but maybe that's just because they're against you having foxes. Might be worth a try to see.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:48 pm

The cause of fennecs eating their young is debatable but really probably many fold but I don't want to go off topic.

One issue that may be on topic is a bottle raised animal is much more likely to reject it's young than one that wasn't because it didn't have a fox mom to learn how to raise fox kits from. Which I'm guessing could be the case here. She didn't harm them on purpose. She tried, she just had no clue.

That being the case you just pull them soon as they are born next time. If you're not up to it though but are up to keeping them then just fix the male.
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:33 am

I'll defiantly have to do some thinking on the topic.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”